Notices

Question about fat content listed in foods

Old 01-21-2011, 11:49 AM
FitDay Member

Default Question about fat content listed in foods

I've looked up a few food on FitDayand I'm puzzled about the errors in fat content. I typed in green beans (cooked) and it told me that a cup of green beans had 4.3 g of fat. I typed in chicken breast (meat only) and it told me there was 10.4 g of fat in 1 cup. What's the story here? Are many of the food items listed incorrectly?

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2011, 11:57 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Foods generally differ depending upon how they are prepared. If you check raw green beans, I suspect you'll see a different number. Calories, fat content, etc. are always an estimate at best. Even food lables are reported to be grossly inaccurate at times. Like in horseshoes, hand grenades and atomic bombs, I think in this case "close" counts.

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-21-2011, 12:08 PM
FitDay Member

So when they list a cup of green beans they are assuming that there are other ingredients as well? This seems so odd.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:29 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by celiaklin
So when they list a cup of green beans they are assuming that there are other ingredients as well? This seems so odd.
Well, it depends. If you do a search on "beans, green" you will get over 10 pages of choices with different cooking methods, mixtures, etc.

One cup of "beans, green, string, raw" is listed as 34 calories with 0.13 grams of fat. This is probably more in line with what you were expecting to see.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness/FoodVi...dds2-f75101800

Once you've spent a little time using the search function and the browse food function you'll quickly discover the best way to find what you're looking for.

Regards,
Michael

PS Welcome to FitDay!

Last edited by mecompco; 01-21-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:37 PM
FitDay Member

Got it. Thanks!
Old 01-21-2011, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, if you take the time to go to the browse foods function, you will find many more options, including prepared with fat, prepared without fat, with skin, without skin, etc. When you just search and something pulls up, it may be just an average or a default, but it's certainly not the lowest fat version of the food.