FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   FitDay Classic Feedback and Support (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/fitday-classic-feedback-support/)
-   -   To: Site Manager -- Does "Lifestyle" activity include sleep? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/fitday-classic-feedback-support/2905-site-manager-does-lifestyle-activity-include-sleep.html)

eldowns 01-07-2011 01:27 PM

To: Site Manager -- Does "Lifestyle" activity include sleep?

Hi there - can someone please tell me if the baseline "lifestyle" activity calorie count includes sleeping? Or by NOT entering X hours of sleep, am I over-estimating my daily calories burned?
Thanks!

mecompco 01-07-2011 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by eldowns (Post 30979)
Hi there - can someone please tell me if the baseline "lifestyle" activity calorie count includes sleeping? Or by NOT entering X hours of sleep, am I over-estimating my daily calories burned?
Thanks!

Hi there. I'm not the "manager", but this topic comes up from time to time to time. I've been told that the "lifestyle" does take into account eight hours of sleep. That being said, I always add sleep to my daily activities as many people are of the opinion that FitDay's calorie burn calculations are a bit optimistic (bearing in mind that calorie burn/basal metabolism is, at best, an informed guesstimate). Doing it this way seems for me (and you may be different) to work out pretty close to reality.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Michael

01gt4.6 01-07-2011 03:51 PM

I may be wrong but I don't think it includes sleep, so I figure it in. I had info from another site that lined up with this site but it's on my other computer. I'll see if I can find it when I get to it and post it up.

mecompco 01-07-2011 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 30998)
I may be wrong but I don't think it includes sleep, so I figure it in. I had info from another site that lined up with this site but it's on my other computer. I'll see if I can find it when I get to it and post it up.

Ha ha, Mike, I thought is was you who told me it did. :D Must have been someone else when I raised the question back along.

In any case, I think it's wise to check with a few different calculators and perhaps go with the average. One can always adjust up or down to match "reality" (assuming one carefully tracks one's caloric intake).

Regards,
Michael

01gt4.6 01-07-2011 06:19 PM

okay, lets look at me. 5'8 male, 39 yrs. old, 174 lbs.

1st lets compare to another site Calorie Calculator - Daily Caloric Needs and find the BMR for me. You'll get 1685 cals.

Now go to fitday and enter a custom baseline of 1685

Now lets go back here Calorie Calculator - Daily Caloric Needs and change it to little/no exercise (desk job) b/c I have a desk job and I'll account for my exercise under my activities. You get 2022 calories.

Now go back to FitDay and under Lifestyle Activity Level, check off seated all day.

Now go to your activities on FD and look. Without any sleep it shows 2401 calories. Once you figure in 8hrs you come up with 2106, not dead on but close to the other site.

I found a different site, I can't seem to find it but the numbers were dead on. I may be wrong and looking at this this wrong way... but that's what I've found.

Maybe whomever created the software can chime in...

eldowns 01-09-2011 04:24 AM

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the input! sounds like i should add sleep....dang!

01gt4.6 01-15-2011 02:46 AM

okay, I just heard from Admin and I'm told that it is factored in and shouldn't be logged unless you get an abnormal amount of sleep.

sistrx 02-05-2011 07:23 PM

Activity Reporting

In the activity log, are we supposed to log in our hours of sleeping every night? Or does the lifestyle estimate already take that into consideration?

01gt4.6 02-05-2011 10:33 PM

I was recently told that it's figured in, my calculations tell me something else, so I log mine. Some people do, some don't.

vabeachgirlNYC 02-07-2011 03:46 AM

I log my sleep also. :)

mecompco 02-07-2011 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC (Post 35090)
I log my sleep also. :)

Same here--with it figured in my actual weight loss conforms almost exactly to FitDay's estimate.

Regards,
Michael

Safron9 02-09-2011 12:13 AM

A Question about daily activity

Hi all! I am new to fitday, but I was just wondering, does your daily metabolic calorie count included sleeping already as an activity? Or do we have to mark how many hours of sleep we got each night? It seems to dramatically lower my calorie burning. Thanks!

mecompco 02-09-2011 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Safron9 (Post 35348)
Hi all! I am new to fitday, but I was just wondering, does your daily metabolic calorie count included sleeping already as an activity? Or do we have to mark how many hours of sleep we got each night? It seems to dramatically lower my calorie burning. Thanks!

Welcome to FitDay and the forums!

We have been told that 8 hours sleep is factored in to the "lifestyle", but many of us choose to add it anyway. Personally, I find that with it added my daily calorie burn is pretty close to reality (based upon calculated weight loss).

Regards,
Michael

Kohsamui 02-19-2011 01:52 AM

Calorie need estimates

I open customize metabolism and go to a page called "Activities & Exercise>> Metabolism Estimate".
The explanation reads,"To estimate the calories you burn per day, FitDay starts by.... Next, FD uses your lifestyle activity level to estimate..."
Then, I see:
Baseline Metabolism
(mine shows 2,077)
Lifestyle Activity Level
(mine is standing work)

end of page.....

But where is my magical calorie estimate?

Mike, you said there were other sources out there on the Internet, and you're right, but I'd like to know where I'm supposed to find this info on this site. Am I missing something?

01gt4.6 02-19-2011 02:25 AM

some people like the Mifflin Equation, others prefer the Harris-Benedict equation. I, myself use a Custom Baseline. If you choose to go that route you can do a google search for BMR (Basal metabolic rate) and should be able to find a calculator.

If that doesn't work you can email me and I'll point you in the right direction.

Meggietye 02-21-2011 02:44 PM

This was my question as well Mike so thanks for the information. Fitday says I am 2000 something and the other one says I am 1700...the same information was plugged into both so that is quite the difference!!! I don't know which one to use??? what is accurate?

Also, do we install 8 hrs of sleeping in our activity logs? or is that automatically a given?

Thank you, Nancy

mecompco 02-21-2011 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Meggietye (Post 37125)
This was my question as well Mike so thanks for the information. Fitday says I am 2000 something and the other one says I am 1700...the same information was plugged into both so that is quite the difference!!! I don't know which one to use??? what is accurate?

Also, do we install 8 hrs of sleeping in our activity logs? or is that automatically a given?

Thank you, Nancy

According to the programmers, 8 hrs. sleep is factored in. Many, myself included, still add 8 hrs. to bring the calorie burn down a bit. Using "seated w/some movement" as my lifestyle, adding 8 hrs. sleep and adding any exercise I do my burn is pretty much in line with reality.

Really, any of these formulas are, at best, informed guesstimates. The best thing to do is pick one, track your loss for a few weeks and see where your're at. Your true weight loss should be fairly close to what the "math" says if you're burn calculation is fairly close and you are accurate in tracking your calories (another guesstimate). If it's too far off, change your "lifestyle" setting one way or the other.

Regards,
Michael

LauriV. 03-03-2011 07:29 PM

sleep included in base caloric burn?

Hello,

I'm new to fitday, and I'm wondering if I need to add my nighttime sleep hours to my activities or if it is a given that we are sleeping everyday.

Thanks,
LauriV.

01gt4.6 03-03-2011 08:03 PM

I'm told that it's included but my #'s look more accurate when I add sleep in.

almeeker 03-03-2011 08:59 PM

Me too.

cjohnson728 03-03-2011 11:51 PM

Same here.

mecompco 03-03-2011 11:57 PM

I'll add one more vote to add it in, as I do.

Regards,
Michael

tanguera8 04-24-2011 09:05 PM

sleeping?

I'm new to this - only logging in for a week. I just noticed that one of the activity options is "sleeping". When I log this in for 8 hours, obviously the calorie count for the day drops significantly. Does everyone log in their sleep time? What determines the base calorie line? Does that already include sleeping? Thanks for un-confusing me!

mecompco 04-24-2011 10:04 PM

Welcome to FitDay and the forums!

We've been told that the "lifestyle" calculation includes 8 hours of sleep. Nevertheless, many of us include 8 hours of sleep in our daily activities to bring down the calorie burn a bit. I find that when I do this my actual weight loss is pretty close to what FitDay predicts.

Regards,
Michael

Vicky67 06-22-2011 09:10 AM

Do we enter night sleep as an 'activity'?

Do we record the hours spent in bed at night as 'sleep' in our activity log or has this already been accounted for in our lifestyle baseline?

mecompco 06-22-2011 01:06 PM

The official word is that eight hour of sleep ARE figured in to the "lifestyle".

However, many of us, myself included, do add eight hours of sleep as it seems to make our daily calorie burn come out closer to "reality".

Everyone is different and metabolic calorie burn is, at best, an estimate so you may have to do some "tweaking" to get yours set accurately.

Regards,
Michael

Newlee11 07-14-2011 07:41 PM

I was wondering about this too because my lifestyle (I work at an office in front of a computer but I do other things) so I chose sitting with some movement. But it shows that as a 24 hour activity. I would suggest showing it as a 16 hour activity with 8 hours sleep or letting us build our own....

Example: 8 hours sleep, 11 hours sitting with some activity (work plus some downtime at home), 5 hours standing and walking (takes care of the cooking and cleaning etc.) This would describe 5 days of my week and then I could add workouts and show which section they should be removed from.

mecompco 07-14-2011 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Newlee11 (Post 50816)
I was wondering about this too because my lifestyle (I work at an office in front of a computer but I do other things) so I chose sitting with some movement. But it shows that as a 24 hour activity. I would suggest showing it as a 16 hour activity with 8 hours sleep or letting us build our own....

Example: 8 hours sleep, 11 hours sitting with some activity (work plus some downtime at home), 5 hours standing and walking (takes care of the cooking and cleaning etc.) This would describe 5 days of my week and then I could add workouts and show which section they should be removed from.

A "lifestyle" is a 24 hour thing. The programmers tell us it figures in 8 hours of sleep. Any other "special" activities and/or exercise should be added daily. The alogrithm adds (or subtracts) the difference between between the activity and your chosen lifestyle activity.

I, too, use seated w/some movement as I work in IT. I add any exercise or other more physical labor that I do. I find that for myself the "math" comes out pretty close to reality if I add in another 8 hours of sleep.

Every body is different and at best any of the basal metabolism calculators are informed guesses and will need individual fine-tuning.

Regards,
Michael

Newlee11 07-15-2011 08:08 PM

Thanks for explaining how it is supposed to work, and how it works best for you. I was having this fear (whether rational or not... because I see that "24 hours" seated with movement) that if I don't put in my 8 hours sleep, I will think I have more calories to eat and then I'll gain weight.

But reading up on this has given me another question. A lot of you on the forum talk about how much you really burn. How do you know how much you really burn? After all, that's the number you want in that little box.

mecompco 07-16-2011 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Newlee11 (Post 50942)
Thanks for explaining how it is supposed to work, and how it works best for you. I was having this fear (whether rational or not... because I see that "24 hours" seated with movement) that if I don't put in my 8 hours sleep, I will think I have more calories to eat and then I'll gain weight.

But reading up on this has given me another question. A lot of you on the forum talk about how much you really burn. How do you know how much you really burn? After all, that's the number you want in that little box.

Well, if we are accurate in entering out calories, we can predict how much weight, on average, we should lose given an accurate total of our calories burned.

So, if I burn, say, 3000 calories a day and eat 1500 calories a day, I "should" lose, on average, three pounds a week. That is a 1500 calorie a day deficit (10500 for seven days) divided by 3500 (the average number of calories needed to lose on pound of fat).

Now, if we maintain what we think is a 1500 calorie a day deficit, yet we only lose on average, say one pound a week, then we know our "lifestyle" or basal metabolism calorie burn is significantly overestimated and we have to either choose another "lifestyle" or adjust it somehow (for example, adding another eight hours of slee).

Make sense?

Regards,
Michael

lisab86 11-17-2011 02:06 PM

Customize lifestyle?!

Hey guys,
I'm a new user of Fit Day.. Just one little problem so far.. My activity! I'm seated most of the day due to me working in an office and at my desk from 9am-5pm. The seated activity comes up on my activity sheet but the time is 24:00hrs.. And it's giving me back like over 1000 calories burned which of course isn't correct.. Am I doing something wrong?? I can't seem to find an option where I can change the time? Any suggestions?
Thanks, L :)

VitoVino 11-17-2011 11:09 PM

Welcome to FitDay!

Try adding in sleep as an activity.

Also, this link will help you:

FitDay Discussion Boards - Threads Tagged with sleep activity