FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   FitDay Classic Feedback and Support (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/fitday-classic-feedback-support/)
-   -   To: Site Manager -- Does "Lifestyle" activity include sleep? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/fitday-classic-feedback-support/2905-site-manager-does-lifestyle-activity-include-sleep.html)

cjohnson728 03-03-2011 11:51 AM

Same here.

mecompco 03-03-2011 11:57 AM

I'll add one more vote to add it in, as I do.

Regards,
Michael

tanguera8 04-24-2011 09:05 AM

sleeping?

I'm new to this - only logging in for a week. I just noticed that one of the activity options is "sleeping". When I log this in for 8 hours, obviously the calorie count for the day drops significantly. Does everyone log in their sleep time? What determines the base calorie line? Does that already include sleeping? Thanks for un-confusing me!

mecompco 04-24-2011 10:04 AM

Welcome to FitDay and the forums!

We've been told that the "lifestyle" calculation includes 8 hours of sleep. Nevertheless, many of us include 8 hours of sleep in our daily activities to bring down the calorie burn a bit. I find that when I do this my actual weight loss is pretty close to what FitDay predicts.

Regards,
Michael

Vicky67 06-21-2011 09:10 PM

Do we enter night sleep as an 'activity'?

Do we record the hours spent in bed at night as 'sleep' in our activity log or has this already been accounted for in our lifestyle baseline?

mecompco 06-22-2011 01:06 AM

The official word is that eight hour of sleep ARE figured in to the "lifestyle".

However, many of us, myself included, do add eight hours of sleep as it seems to make our daily calorie burn come out closer to "reality".

Everyone is different and metabolic calorie burn is, at best, an estimate so you may have to do some "tweaking" to get yours set accurately.

Regards,
Michael

Newlee11 07-14-2011 07:41 AM

I was wondering about this too because my lifestyle (I work at an office in front of a computer but I do other things) so I chose sitting with some movement. But it shows that as a 24 hour activity. I would suggest showing it as a 16 hour activity with 8 hours sleep or letting us build our own....

Example: 8 hours sleep, 11 hours sitting with some activity (work plus some downtime at home), 5 hours standing and walking (takes care of the cooking and cleaning etc.) This would describe 5 days of my week and then I could add workouts and show which section they should be removed from.

mecompco 07-14-2011 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Newlee11 (Post 50816)
I was wondering about this too because my lifestyle (I work at an office in front of a computer but I do other things) so I chose sitting with some movement. But it shows that as a 24 hour activity. I would suggest showing it as a 16 hour activity with 8 hours sleep or letting us build our own....

Example: 8 hours sleep, 11 hours sitting with some activity (work plus some downtime at home), 5 hours standing and walking (takes care of the cooking and cleaning etc.) This would describe 5 days of my week and then I could add workouts and show which section they should be removed from.

A "lifestyle" is a 24 hour thing. The programmers tell us it figures in 8 hours of sleep. Any other "special" activities and/or exercise should be added daily. The alogrithm adds (or subtracts) the difference between between the activity and your chosen lifestyle activity.

I, too, use seated w/some movement as I work in IT. I add any exercise or other more physical labor that I do. I find that for myself the "math" comes out pretty close to reality if I add in another 8 hours of sleep.

Every body is different and at best any of the basal metabolism calculators are informed guesses and will need individual fine-tuning.

Regards,
Michael

Newlee11 07-15-2011 08:08 AM

Thanks for explaining how it is supposed to work, and how it works best for you. I was having this fear (whether rational or not... because I see that "24 hours" seated with movement) that if I don't put in my 8 hours sleep, I will think I have more calories to eat and then I'll gain weight.

But reading up on this has given me another question. A lot of you on the forum talk about how much you really burn. How do you know how much you really burn? After all, that's the number you want in that little box.

mecompco 07-15-2011 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Newlee11 (Post 50942)
Thanks for explaining how it is supposed to work, and how it works best for you. I was having this fear (whether rational or not... because I see that "24 hours" seated with movement) that if I don't put in my 8 hours sleep, I will think I have more calories to eat and then I'll gain weight.

But reading up on this has given me another question. A lot of you on the forum talk about how much you really burn. How do you know how much you really burn? After all, that's the number you want in that little box.

Well, if we are accurate in entering out calories, we can predict how much weight, on average, we should lose given an accurate total of our calories burned.

So, if I burn, say, 3000 calories a day and eat 1500 calories a day, I "should" lose, on average, three pounds a week. That is a 1500 calorie a day deficit (10500 for seven days) divided by 3500 (the average number of calories needed to lose on pound of fat).

Now, if we maintain what we think is a 1500 calorie a day deficit, yet we only lose on average, say one pound a week, then we know our "lifestyle" or basal metabolism calorie burn is significantly overestimated and we have to either choose another "lifestyle" or adjust it somehow (for example, adding another eight hours of slee).

Make sense?

Regards,
Michael