FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   FitDay Classic Feedback and Support (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/fitday-classic-feedback-support/)
-   -   To: Site Manager -- Does "Lifestyle" activity include sleep? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/fitday-classic-feedback-support/2905-site-manager-does-lifestyle-activity-include-sleep.html)

mecompco 02-06-2011 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC (Post 35090)
I log my sleep also. :)

Same here--with it figured in my actual weight loss conforms almost exactly to FitDay's estimate.

Regards,
Michael

Safron9 02-08-2011 12:13 PM

A Question about daily activity

Hi all! I am new to fitday, but I was just wondering, does your daily metabolic calorie count included sleeping already as an activity? Or do we have to mark how many hours of sleep we got each night? It seems to dramatically lower my calorie burning. Thanks!

mecompco 02-08-2011 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Safron9 (Post 35348)
Hi all! I am new to fitday, but I was just wondering, does your daily metabolic calorie count included sleeping already as an activity? Or do we have to mark how many hours of sleep we got each night? It seems to dramatically lower my calorie burning. Thanks!

Welcome to FitDay and the forums!

We have been told that 8 hours sleep is factored in to the "lifestyle", but many of us choose to add it anyway. Personally, I find that with it added my daily calorie burn is pretty close to reality (based upon calculated weight loss).

Regards,
Michael

Kohsamui 02-18-2011 01:52 PM

Calorie need estimates

I open customize metabolism and go to a page called "Activities & Exercise>> Metabolism Estimate".
The explanation reads,"To estimate the calories you burn per day, FitDay starts by.... Next, FD uses your lifestyle activity level to estimate..."
Then, I see:
Baseline Metabolism
(mine shows 2,077)
Lifestyle Activity Level
(mine is standing work)

end of page.....

But where is my magical calorie estimate?

Mike, you said there were other sources out there on the Internet, and you're right, but I'd like to know where I'm supposed to find this info on this site. Am I missing something?

01gt4.6 02-18-2011 02:25 PM

some people like the Mifflin Equation, others prefer the Harris-Benedict equation. I, myself use a Custom Baseline. If you choose to go that route you can do a google search for BMR (Basal metabolic rate) and should be able to find a calculator.

If that doesn't work you can email me and I'll point you in the right direction.

Meggietye 02-21-2011 02:44 AM

This was my question as well Mike so thanks for the information. Fitday says I am 2000 something and the other one says I am 1700...the same information was plugged into both so that is quite the difference!!! I don't know which one to use??? what is accurate?

Also, do we install 8 hrs of sleeping in our activity logs? or is that automatically a given?

Thank you, Nancy

mecompco 02-21-2011 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by Meggietye (Post 37125)
This was my question as well Mike so thanks for the information. Fitday says I am 2000 something and the other one says I am 1700...the same information was plugged into both so that is quite the difference!!! I don't know which one to use??? what is accurate?

Also, do we install 8 hrs of sleeping in our activity logs? or is that automatically a given?

Thank you, Nancy

According to the programmers, 8 hrs. sleep is factored in. Many, myself included, still add 8 hrs. to bring the calorie burn down a bit. Using "seated w/some movement" as my lifestyle, adding 8 hrs. sleep and adding any exercise I do my burn is pretty much in line with reality.

Really, any of these formulas are, at best, informed guesstimates. The best thing to do is pick one, track your loss for a few weeks and see where your're at. Your true weight loss should be fairly close to what the "math" says if you're burn calculation is fairly close and you are accurate in tracking your calories (another guesstimate). If it's too far off, change your "lifestyle" setting one way or the other.

Regards,
Michael

LauriV. 03-03-2011 07:29 AM

sleep included in base caloric burn?

Hello,

I'm new to fitday, and I'm wondering if I need to add my nighttime sleep hours to my activities or if it is a given that we are sleeping everyday.

Thanks,
LauriV.

01gt4.6 03-03-2011 08:03 AM

I'm told that it's included but my #'s look more accurate when I add sleep in.

almeeker 03-03-2011 08:59 AM

Me too.