Notices

Consider custom portion sizes for custom foods?

Old 01-05-2011, 08:46 AM
FitDay Member

Default Consider custom portion sizes for custom foods?

I wanted to create a custom food that represented a single Hershey's kiss. That way, I could just count the candies and enter the number to get the right nutritional information for however many Kisses I ate.

However, serving, grams, kg, ounces, and lbs. were the only available choices for measures. I would have liked an "each" option, or better yet, a fillable field that would have let me enter ANY unit - standard or not. I ended up creating the custom food for the serving size of 9 recommended on the package, and then specifying a quantity of 0.56 to represent the 5 candies I had.

I'm no programmer, but this sounds like it could be easy to implement! I hope so!
Old 01-05-2011, 11:23 AM
FitDay Premium Member

How odd! Are you using the PC version, perhaps, instead of the regular web-based version of FitDay?

When I create a custom food the only choice is "serving", so it would be no problem to add a single "Kiss".

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mecompco
How odd! Are you using the PC version, perhaps, instead of the regular web-based version of FitDay?

When I create a custom food the only choice is "serving", so it would be no problem to add a single "Kiss".

Regards,
Michael
that's what I do as well on certain items.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:56 AM
FitDay Member

I'm using the online version. If you do a search for a food, then find one, then select "customize this food" then you can choose between the different portion size options that were offered for that particular food. If you select "create a custom food" then "serving" is your only choice.

My issue with making 1 candy a serving size is then I have to REMEMBER what size the serving was for every food I customize. My issue with using the serving size recommended on the package is that then I have to use a calculator to find what decimal value to enter for 2/9 of a serving (for instance). Neither of these things is a big deal, but why not let me specify the units?
Old 01-06-2011, 03:30 AM
Super Moderator

serving is NOT your only choice. Enter the name of the food, scroll down and click create this food, the scroll up and adjust amount, there is a drop down box for weight as well. I don't have to do any math. If I enter something and it's serving size is 113 grams, and I use 28 grams, it figures it for me.

also when you say "My issue with making 1 candy a serving size is then I have to REMEMBER what size the serving was for every food I customize.", what is there to remember? Save it as Hershey Kiss, 1 piece. if you eat 5 then enter it as 5 one piece servings.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:56 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Ah--now I've learned something! I didn't realize one could "customize" a food already in the database. I've always just created a new custom food where "serving" appears to be the only choice.

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-06-2011, 04:10 AM
FitDay Member

I sense I've annoyed you somehow. I appreciate your tip for adding notes about the serving size to custom food food names, but I would still prefer to be able to fully customize the portion sizes. I can customize all the other elements of a custom food entry and it doesn't seem like I'm asking for the moon when I give constructive feedback requesting that one remaining value be customizable.

Kudos to you if you prefer to calculate 5/9 in your head (5 Kisses from a serving of 9), OR if you prefer to mentally divide every element listed on the nutritional information panel on the packaging by 9 to get the values for a single Kiss. I must admit I do use a calculator for this.