Notices

Activity not in database: How to customize an existing activity?

Old 06-21-2011, 05:01 AM
FitDay Member

Default breastfeeding calories

I think I figured a way to add breastfeeding calories burned- on the activities page you can customize your baseline metabolism. You can add the calories you burn from breastfeeding to your baseline metabolism # (about 20 calories per oz of breastmilk produced- if you pump you can measure it and be exact, if not you just have to guess- for me, I produce about 1 oz of milk/hr so I use up around 480 calories/day breatfeeding).

Once you add the calories to your baseline, I think that should then allow you more total calories per day to maintain weight- and thus you don't need to subtract the calories as "activity".

Maybe? I think it will work.

I'm going to try it and see.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:09 AM
FitDay Member

Any idea on when the update will be added so we can input custom activities? How could we find out this sort of information. I am new to this.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:08 AM
Administrator

The site upgrade will be next month; as to when exactly custom activities will be added, I can't say -- but it is a high item on our list as it has been requested many times. It will be among the first functional changes at the new FitDay.

Paul
Old 06-29-2011, 08:08 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Exclamation Elliptical and custom

Ithink ellipticals a very commenly used and should be added. But a custom feature should be a high priority addition.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:47 AM
FitDay Member

Default Elliptical

I'm wondering if anyone here uses an elliptical for their workouts? I usually do 45 mins when I work out, but there's no elliptical option under activity, so I pick something that gives about the right amount of calories burned. However, I've also heard that the calories burned according to a machine like that is usually wrong - I mean, I put in my weight and age, but I don't know if it's telling me the correct numbers. Anyone run into the same issues?

Thanks bunches!

Joanna
Old 07-02-2011, 10:18 AM
FitDay Member

I use the eliptical too. The closest I have found to use is the "stair-treadmill ergometer" option on FitDay, which I figured ought to be pretty close. I am going to try a comparison this weekend with how many calories the eliptical tells me I burned and how many comes up on fit day. Anyone else with knowledge of how accurate the machines are would be wonderful as I'm not really sure myself.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:12 PM
FitDay Member

As a general rule of thumb, calories burned will be the same for heart rate and exercise time regardless of the actual exercise.

So 45 minutes of running/cycling/swimming/etc will burn the same calories on the elliptical at the same heart rate.

There will be a slight, insignificant difference as your efficiency will not be the same when performing activities you don't regularly practice.

However, the numbers the machines give are only a guesstimate.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:10 PM
FitDay Member

Default Wii Fit anyone?

Hi there.

I'm curious to see if anyone eise uses thw Wii for exercise sometimes. How do you code it into your activities? The Wii Fit trainer actually tells you how many calories you burned, so it's a shame we can't add custom activities and enter the calories.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:48 AM
Super Moderator

Hi there bojibridge!

I've found a large difference between the burn my heart rate monitor tells me and the burn that the machine tells me.

When I first started (and was heavier), I'd do an hour of interval training (that is, pushing my heart rate above 90% for a minute, and then lowering to 80%-ish for a minute, then back up...etc...) on the elliptical. The machine told me I burned roughly 650 calories doing it this way. My heart rate monitor, on the other hand, told me I burned 1,200. A LARGE difference. Even now, though I'm somewhat smaller, the machine is telling me I'm burning ~580-600 calories per hour, and my HRM tells me I'm burning 900.

I've been entering the numbers my heart rate monitor gives me, as I feel it's probably more accurate. The elliptical I use does have a HRM built in, and I can enter my weight -- but not my height, nor my gender, and for age it uses a chart that rounds your ages by 10 -- not exactly accurate! I usually figure that it's assuming I'm a young, healthy 18-to-21 year old male when it calculates my calorie burn

The best way to go is to figure out your burn per minute and find an activity that's close My burn tends to be around 13 calories per minute, and I enter my time on the elliptical as "Stationary biking, very vigorous effort" as that's a 13-per-minute burn here on FD

If you've got a little extra cash, investing in a heart rate monitor might be an eye-opening experience for you!
Old 07-05-2011, 03:27 AM
FitDay Member

I use the elliptical, both at home and at the gym. The one here at home estimates my calories by HR, the one at the gym estimates it by weight. They both figure my burn to be around 11 calories/minute, so when I log it I use "Running 7.5 mins/mile" which gives someone at my weight and age a burn of 11 calories/minute. I don't know if it's accurate or not, but when I'm religious in my elliptical workouts, I lose weight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.