Notices

What does cooked broccoli have more calories than raw?

Old 06-03-2012, 01:55 PM
FitDay Member

Default What does cooked broccoli have more calories than raw?

For cooked it lists 130 but raw is 30 calories. The package of frozen broccoli says it contains 30 calories, so it makes no sense how cooking increases the calories as I'm assuming cooking would just be in water and not adding butter or cheese, etc.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

When you just do a search for broccoli (and other veggies, I assume), it automatically give you the values for it being cooked with butter or other fat.

To solve this, use the "browse foods" tab instead of search, find vegetables; I think broccoli falls under "dark green nonleafy vegetables." Then you can find whatever is most accurate, such as cooked, from raw (or frozen, or whatever), prepared without fat.

This, IMO, is one of the biggest bugs in the FD food list.

However, FD is undergoing a lot of changes and improvements lately, so this could be different in the near future.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Wohali, are you using FitDay PC, or the online version?
Old 06-03-2012, 02:40 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
Wohali, are you using FitDay PC, or the online version?
The online version.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Moved your thread, then, from the PC section.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:03 AM
IBswilson

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
When you just do a search for broccoli (and other veggies, I assume), it automatically give you the values for it being cooked with butter or other fat.

To solve this, use the "browse foods" tab instead of search, find vegetables; I think broccoli falls under "dark green nonleafy vegetables." Then you can find whatever is most accurate, such as cooked, from raw (or frozen, or whatever), prepared without fat.

This, IMO, is one of the biggest bugs in the FD food list.

However, FD is undergoing a lot of changes and improvements lately, so this could be different in the near future.
This is mostly accurate - although I wouldn't consider it a bug. The FitDay database is based on the USDA food database.

The food I think you are looking for is "Broccoli, cooked, boiled, drained, without salt" - 55 calories per cup, chopped. (The discrepancy here is that 1 cup of uncooked broccoli does not yield 1 cup of cooked broccoli.)

These foods are unlikely to change as we are committed to being as accurate as possible using USDA foods. We are, however, improving our search results so that these issues are less likely.

Try adding "boiled" to your search for vegetables i.e.: Search results for "Broccoli boiled" return "Broccoli, cooked, boiled, drained" with and without salt as the first two results.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:09 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by IBswilson
This is mostly accurate - although I wouldn't consider it a bug. The FitDay database is based on the USDA food database.

The food I think you are looking for is "Broccoli, cooked, boiled, drained, without salt" - 55 calories per cup, chopped. (The discrepancy here is that 1 cup of uncooked broccoli does not yield 1 cup of cooked broccoli.)

These foods are unlikely to change as we are committed to being as accurate as possible using USDA foods. We are, however, improving our search results so that these issues are less likely.

Try adding "boiled" to your search for vegetables i.e.: Search results for "Broccoli boiled" return "Broccoli, cooked, boiled, drained" with and without salt as the first two results.
If you cook frozen broccoli does it shrink or get bigger? Its not more than a cup when measured frozen from the bag so would it be more than a cup when cooked? I just nuke it in the microwave in water then add just a tiny bit of salt. I get the kind that is just the broccoli florrets and doesn't have the stalk part.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:04 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by IBswilson

Sorry, just bad word choices and explanation on my part. I keep answering this question, though, and sometimes I get on autopilot. I know y'all are working on improving the search function, not changing foods; did not mean to imply that.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator

I just use the raw nutrition value and customize anything I may add.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

I'm picturing raw broccoli - stiff cell walls and fairly watery - that is, containing water. Then I picture cooked broccoli. The cell walls, as they cook, soften and collapse. Some of the water (which is not calorie-dense) leaks out as it cooks. The broccoli collapses in on itself. You put stiff raw broccoli florets in a cup measure, and there will be less calories than when you put the collapsed, more compact cooked broccoli in the same cup measure. So that explains, for me, why cooked broccoli has more calories, per cup,than raw broccoli.

The same explanation would apply to cooked lettuce, 1 cup, vs. raw lettuce, 1 cup!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.