FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   FitDay 2.0 Feedback & Support (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/fitday-2-0-feedback-support/)
-   -   How to add FitDay Friends for Journal sharing ( & Calories burned public setting) (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/fitday-2-0-feedback-support/5957-how-add-fitday-friends-journal-sharing-calories-burned-public-setting.html)

FutureizNow 12-15-2011 10:57 AM

How to add FitDay Friends for Journal sharing ( & Calories burned public setting)

Calories burned public setting

When I switched to a public log, it allows me to alter all of the settings for public/friend/private, except Calories burned. This is set to public - there is no option to alter it.

Can the option to set it like the others be provided?

VitoVino 12-15-2011 11:06 AM

I see no option for Calories burned. Are you referring to the Activity log?

There's no such thing as the "friends" setting. It doesn't work as we cannot "friend" anyone here. It's either Public or Private, those are the two options.

FutureizNow 12-16-2011 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by VitoVino (Post 65093)
I see no option for Calories burned. Are you referring to the Activity log?

There's no such thing as the "friends" setting. It doesn't work as we cannot "friend" anyone here. It's either Public or Private, those are the two options.

VitoVino, as far as friends go,

Under "My pages" on left side bottom of the fitness journal:

My Pages
My Public Settings
My Public Journal
My Friends
My Inbox

Select "My Friends"

Fitness Friends
This is the list of your Fitness Friends. Your friends can have special access to view your online fitness journal. To change what your friends can and cannot see, use your public settings page.

You can make someone a friend by seaching for them
and sending them a friend request (top left).

VitoVino
Fitness Journal
You have requested to be this user's friend and are awaiting a response.

Regarding my problem, to recreate it:
1. Go to your profile page
2. Select public settings page link near the bottom
3. See the options:

Food Log

Private
Only My Friends
Publicly Viewable

This setting controls who can see your food log and reports about the foods you eat.

Activity Log
Private
Only My Friends
Publicly Viewable

This setting controls who can see your activity log and reports about the foods you eat. In order for users to see how many calories you burn, you must
make your weight public.

Etc, Etc, Etc.

However there is no option for calories burned.

Whe you go to the public journal:

Calories Eaten

Your food log can be viewed only by your friends. Other people can not view this item. To change who can view this item click here.

Grams Calories %-Cals
Calories 1,091
Fat 38.4 342 31 %
Saturated 10.6 95 9 %
Polyunsaturated 5.9 52 5 %
Monounsaturated 19.2 171 15 %
Carbohydrate 95.4 371 33 %
Dietary Fiber 19.8
Protein 95.2 395 36 %
Alcohol 0.5 4 0 %

Fat (31%) Carbs (33%)
Protein (36%) Alcohol (0%)

But ...

Calories Burned
This report is public. Other people can view this item. To change who can view this item click here.

Calories Burned: 2,423
Lifestyle: 2,423
Activities: 0

Lifestyle (2,423cals)
Activities (0cals)

When you click "here" there is no option to change that setting.

Whether friends works fully, lets test it. Look at my public journal before and after accepting my friend request and let me know if there is a difference.

Thanks!

01gt4.6 12-16-2011 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by FutureizNow (Post 65139)
VitoVino, as far as friends go,

My Pages
My Public Settings
My Public Journal
My Friends
My Inbox

Select "My Friends"

Fitness Friends
This is the list of your Fitness Friends. Your friends can have special access to view your online fitness journal. To change what your friends can and cannot see, use your public settings page.

You can make someone a friend by seaching for them
and sending them a friend request (top left).

VitoVino
Fitness Journal
You have requested to be this user's friend and are awaiting a response.

Regarding my problem, to recreate it:
1. Go to your profile page
2. Select public settings page link near the bottom
3. See the options:

Food Log

Private
Only My Friends
Publicly Viewable

This setting controls who can see your food log and reports about the foods you eat.

Activity Log
Private
Only My Friends
Publicly Viewable

This setting controls who can see your activity log and reports about the foods you eat. In order for users to see how many calories you burn, you must
make your weight public.

Etc, Etc, Etc.

However there is no option for calories burned.

Whe you go to the public journal:

Calories Eaten

Your food log can be viewed only by your friends. Other people can not view this item. To change who can view this item click here.

Grams Calories %-Cals
Calories 1,091
Fat 38.4 342 31 %
Saturated 10.6 95 9 %
Polyunsaturated 5.9 52 5 %
Monounsaturated 19.2 171 15 %
Carbohydrate 95.4 371 33 %
Dietary Fiber 19.8
Protein 95.2 395 36 %
Alcohol 0.5 4 0 %

Fat (31%) Carbs (33%)
Protein (36%) Alcohol (0%)

But ...

Calories Burned
This report is public. Other people can view this item. To change who can view this item click here.

Calories Burned: 2,423
Lifestyle: 2,423
Activities: 0

Lifestyle (2,423cals)
Activities (0cals)

When you click "here" there is no option to change that setting.

Whether friends works fully, lets test it. Look at my public journal before and after accepting my friend request and let me know if there is a difference.

Thanks!

I could never figure out how to add a friend. Thanks. I'll have to try it.

01gt4.6 12-16-2011 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by FutureizNow (Post 65139)

My Pages
My Public Settings
My Public Journal
My Friends
My Inbox

Select "My Friends"

Under "My Fitness Journal" aka my food log, I scroll down and don't see anything called "My Pages" on the left. All I see is "View My Public Settings" and "Check out FitDay PC". Am I missing something??:confused:

Okay I found it: Profile>Public Settings Page>My Friends. Okay, I see now.This should be easier than what it is.

The Problem seems to be that you can't even "find" the member unless they have their journal public. I searched for a few and they never came up. Vito came up, but that's probably b/c his is set to public.

FutureizNow 12-16-2011 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 65146)
Under "My Fitness Journal" aka my food log, I scroll down and don't see anything called "My Pages" on the left. All I see is "View My Public Settings" and "Check out FitDay PC". Am I missing something??:confused:

Okay I found it: Profile>Public Settings Page>My Friends. Okay, I see now.This should be easier than what it is.

The Problem seems to be that you can't even "find" the member unless they have their journal public. I searched for a few and they never came up. Vito came up, but that's probably b/c his is set to public.

You're right. It's the public settings page not the public journal. My mistake.

It should find anyone really. You can't search for anyone without knowing their name so it's not like the name is hidden in the forum. The setting should just control whether you see anything personal after you find them.

In most cases the person would go public if they want to be contacted so probably a moot point though.

I don't know what happens on the receiver's end. Can you send me a request and we'll see; I'll send you one.

Thanks,
FIN

P.S. And I agree it could be easier.

Edit: I tried sending you a request but you're private, lol. Can you send me? Thx.

VitoVino 12-16-2011 05:57 AM

Great job, FutureizNow. I stand corrected. To say the process to add friends is complicated is an understatement. But I managed to add you as a friend, and I sent a friend request to Mike.

VitoVino 12-16-2011 06:01 AM

FIN, I can see your Calories burned on your page.

FutureizNow 12-16-2011 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by VitoVino (Post 65163)
FIN, I can see your Calories burned on your page.

Is that all you can see now? I see you on my friend page now, so you should be able to see everything.

The calories burned is set to "public" as opposed to "friends only" due to the bug I mentioned initially, so I'd expect you could see that. Can you see the rest of it now as well? That is the question.

I'm also wondering if friendship is mutual, that is since you allowed me to add you to my friends page, will I also be added to yours, or do you have
to request that I be added?

VitoVino 12-16-2011 06:21 AM

No, I can see everything. Food eaten, activity, calories eaten, calories burned, custom measurements, body measurements, mood, weight change, and beer consumed. Wait, beer consumed??! :D

The bugaboo is that a person's journal (I suppose at least ONE part of it) must be PUBLIC FIRST, so the journal can be searched for in the search box so that a friend request can be made. Here's what happens when a person's journal is set to private:

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/7691/pubjournal.png

Great question. Once I accepted you as friends, it became mutual, as your name appears on my Friends list.

VitoVino 12-16-2011 06:24 AM

I guess another bugaboo would be WHERE the "My Pages" shows up. It shows up WAY DOWN THE PAGE, below all of my Custom Foods. So I never saw "My Pages" until you mentioned it on this thread.

FutureizNow 12-16-2011 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by VitoVino (Post 65168)
No, I can see everything. Food eaten, activity, calories eaten, calories burned, custom measurements, body measurements, mood, weight change, and beer consumed. Wait, beer consumed??! :D

The bugaboo is that a person's journal (I suppose at least ONE part of it) must be PUBLIC FIRST, so the journal can be searched for in the search box so that a friend request can be made. Here's what happens when a person's journal is set to private:

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/7691/pubjournal.png

Great question. Once I accepted you as friends, it became mutual, as your name appears on my Friends list.

Ah, good to know it's mutual. It's actually erring on the side of public openness there, but on the side of privacy by not showing the names of private log owners during search.

It's a bit tricky to figure out but it's a decent feature to just share information with just a few people. Wonder how many people use it? :)

Ultimately it begs the question, what if you want to share certain things with one person but not with another? It's not worth the trouble to get fancier than it is with a food log though.

Just glad that it works basically as intended. There should be privacy options for stuff like journals and mood, if they aren't there already (don't think they are). And whatever privacy options are there should be effective. Right now the calories burned option is mentioned but not implemented.

VitoVino 12-16-2011 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by FutureizNow (Post 65172)
It's a bit tricky to figure out but it's a decent feature to just share information with just a few people. Wonder how many people use it? :)

I wouldn't be surprised if we were the first to use this. I'm good with software and thought I had checked out every facet of the forum and Journal, but I missed seeing how to do this. I kinda do remember way back in July when I started, before my Custom foods filled up, seeing the "My Pages". I had just erroneously concluded that the "friends" option had been turned off for the forum by an Admin. because I couldn't figure out any way to add friends. :D

You've been great in resolving this. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I'm sure others will want to jump on this "new" feature now! :)

VitoVino 12-16-2011 07:02 AM

You can now leave messages on your friend's page

Cool. After the setting takes hold (about 15 minutes) an option to leave messages on your friend's page appears. Very nice feature.

FutureizNow 12-16-2011 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by VitoVino (Post 65175)
I wouldn't be surprised if we were the first to use this. I'm good with software and thought I had checked out every facet of the forum and Journal, but I missed seeing how to do this. I kinda do remember way back in July when I started, before my Custom foods filled up, seeing the "My Pages". I had just erroneously concluded that the "friends" option had been turned off for the forum by an Admin. because I couldn't figure out any way to add friends. :D

You've been great in resolving this. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I'm sure others will want to jump on this "new" feature now! :)

Cool. Glad to be of assistance! I also play with software, have done development and a lot of testing. More mainframe and client server than web but have done it all and a feature is a feature!

Are those friend messages PMs or something else? I'll send one to you.
Let me know if you get a PM, a pop-up or what.

Edit. Actually I see the inbox in the my pages area. However where are you seeing a link to send you messages to the inbox?

VitoVino 12-16-2011 07:27 AM

You should be able to leave a message directly on my Public Journal Page. A box appears after about 15 minutes of becoming friends where you can type a message. I assume there is no pop up notifying you of this, because I've already left a message on your page about 20 minutes ago. ;)

FutureizNow 12-16-2011 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by VitoVino (Post 65180)
You should be able to leave a message directly on my Public Journal Page. A box appears after about 15 minutes of becoming friends where you can type a message. I assume there is no pop up notifying you of this, because I've already left a message on your page about 20 minutes ago. ;)

Yes thanks I found the way to send it to you on your public page "home" tab.
I see your comment on my public page and left one on yours.

Not sure how often I'd look there, but it's good
when you're trying to communicate about something specific about
each others public page I guess.

It's better than having to switch to forum or PM when you're discussing something I guess.
Inbox really doesn't have to do with messages, just pending friend requests it seems.

Anyway, I'm off to lunch now, lol.

VitoVino 12-16-2011 09:12 AM

I can think of a few good reasons for it. Since only friends can see it, then links can be posted on it (say to pictures, favorite websites, etc,) and all the friends will have access to it. I really like the feature.

FutureizNow 12-16-2011 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by VitoVino (Post 65190)
I can think of a few good reasons for it. Since only friends can see it, then links can be posted on it (say to pictures, favorite websites, etc,) and all the friends will have access to it. I really like the feature.

Yeah, it works for me too. A mini facebook!

VitoVino 12-16-2011 02:53 PM

Oh yeah! Who wudda thunk? We've had this little gem sitting under our noses the entire time, and nobody was using it. Of course that is just my big a$$umption here. ;)

If anyone has been using this feature, speak now or forever hold your

http://img.hisupplier.com/var/userIm...$524162540.jpg

:D

01gt4.6 12-16-2011 03:00 PM

VabeachgirlNYC and I have been friends for a year and can see each others stuff but she had sent me the request b/c I couldn't figure it out.

VitoVino 12-17-2011 01:28 AM

Well it was unlikely that nobody was using this feature, and it turns out that only a select few knew how. Now everybody knows how. :)

As far as 'discovering the wheel' I just located this post and this is the earliest I found where somebody figured this all out:

http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...html#post17650

jmdorazio 01-02-2012 02:57 AM

Adding Friends

How do I add friends to my FitDay account?

VitoVino 01-02-2012 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by jmdorazio (Post 66759)
How do I add friends to my FitDay account?

http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...html#post65384

swannie0355 11-05-2013 04:54 AM

How do I send message to just added friend?

I have just joined again and can't seem to find how to send messages to a friend or to add the friend accept...pls help , thanks.:confused:

tyen 11-06-2013 06:59 AM

Merged this recent inquiry with main thread regarding this topic.