Notices

Trying to Use FitDay to Gain Weight? Read Me!

Old 03-15-2010, 04:49 PM
FitDay Member

Default Weight GAIN?

I know it's counter-intuitive to the typical weight-loss goals of most folks, but I have a problem just the same. I have tried to update my weight-goal showing a GAIN of 30 pounds but it will not allow it.

I am a small guy, 5' 9" ish and 125 pounds. Some would call this scrawny; so be it. But my goal is to indeed put on 25-30 pounds of mass primarily being muscle mass. Is there any way to modify this FitDay experience to my needs? Is there ANYONE on here that utilizes the service to this side of the fence? I'm looking to do P90X and use heavy weights with low reps and change my 'diet' to skyrocket my protein intake and hopefully this combination will yield a weight gain and give a skinny guy some bulk!

Help?

Thank you,
Brad
Old 03-15-2010, 11:17 PM
FitDay Member

Default Healthy Weight Gain

As for some people the aim is healthy weight gain (building lean muscle mass) would it be possible for FitDay online to allow you to set a weight goal where you gain weight?

At the moment it throws an error and only allows weight loss, however this is not everbodies goal.

Would just make the software a little more flexible. I'm 5'6 and 152.6lb but aiming for about 160lb over the next 7 weeks but it won't allow me to enter this.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:18 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by tonksy
Im 21, Male and trying to gain weight. Currently 9st 2 and am concidered just 'underweight'. Im attempting to GAIN over 1 1/2 stone and this website is excellent at helping me keep track of food intake etc. However, the 'Weight Goal' feature does NOT accept a goal higher than your current weight.. Would be nice to see this added in the future? Im sure primarily people on this website are trying to lose weight, but weight gain is also a big thing to a lot of individuals.
How tall are you if you don't mind me asking?
Old 03-16-2010, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Brad
I know it's counter-intuitive to the typical weight-loss goals of most folks, but I have a problem just the same. I have tried to update my weight-goal showing a GAIN of 30 pounds but it will not allow it.

I am a small guy, 5' 9" ish and 125 pounds. Some would call this scrawny; so be it. But my goal is to indeed put on 25-30 pounds of mass primarily being muscle mass. Is there any way to modify this FitDay experience to my needs? Is there ANYONE on here that utilizes the service to this side of the fence? I'm looking to do P90X and use heavy weights with low reps and change my 'diet' to skyrocket my protein intake and hopefully this combination will yield a weight gain and give a skinny guy some bulk!

Help?

Thank you,
Brad
Brad, I can't help you in regards to fitday, but have a couple questions for you. 1) how old are you? 2) how many calories do you consume & burn per day?
I did P90X and it will help put on muscle but is more geared for getting people lean. It will help but you may want to go easy on the cardio routines, they'll have you burning too many calories to put on 25-30 pounds. Have you tried any weight gainers?
Old 03-24-2010, 07:20 PM
FitDay Member

I am also trying to gain lean mass, while shedding some extra fat. I therefore can't set a weight goal myself either!

I have gained about 25 lb over the last year or so and I would say that you would find it very difficult if not imbossible to gain that much weight by using p90x. What you need to do (along with a good diet) is get into some powerlifting and bodybuilding exercises that will increase your free testosterone and mass), having said that, p90x is an OK place to start at for the first month or two into your building program.

As 01gt4.6 says, you will need to eat well. Being a skinny guy means you will need to put in a lot more calories than you are used to.

As far as protein goes, it is standard to take in at least 1gram protein per lb of body weight each day.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:59 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by rrross
I am also trying to gain lean mass, while shedding some extra fat. I therefore can't set a weight goal myself either!

I have gained about 25 lb over the last year or so and I would say that you would find it very difficult if not imbossible to gain that much weight by using p90x. What you need to do (along with a good diet) is get into some powerlifting and bodybuilding exercises that will increase your free testosterone and mass), having said that, p90x is an OK place to start at for the first month or two into your building program.

As 01gt4.6 says, you will need to eat well. Being a skinny guy means you will need to put in a lot more calories than you are used to.

As far as protein goes, it is standard to take in at least 1gram protein per lb of body weight each day.
Brad, i'm in the same predicament. I'm 6-2, 160 and trying to put on muscle mass as well. I used P90X for a while, but realized its more for ppl who are wanting to shred fat and looked ripped. I've read that if you want bulk, you can use P90X for base fitness for a few weeks (skip the cardio stuff), but you'll eventually need to hit the gym and the heavy weights. Compound exercises on the large muscle groups works best, using heavy weight.
Also important, like the others said, is to eat right. Use the Harris-Benedict equation to calculate your BMR (how many calories you need to eat to maintain your current weight.) Then multiply that total by 1.55 to signify moderate exercise (about 3 times a week in the gym), then take that total and add 500 to it in order to (hopefully) gain about a pound a week. This grand total is the number of calories you should consume per day if you wanna gain weight. It should be broken down into about 20% protein, or more if you want, 30% fat (as much good fat as possible, ex. monounsaturated), and the other 50% carbs. Thats where this website comes into play for me, i only use it as a calorie tracker.
Hope this helps, good luck!
Old 04-10-2010, 06:22 AM
FitDay Member

Hey all,

Thing that helped me the most in terms of lean mass was good old powerlifting. Deadlifts, squats, not benching so much but you can if you want, low reps, heavy weights. I started serious lifting about 2 years ago and though I only gained 5 lbs of scale weight my body composition changed drastically. I can't know for certain since I didn't get any fancy measurements done but I'm guessing I went from around 22-23%bf to around 16-18%bf now.

Dietwise, extra protein is a must. As for the other macros, get as much natural fat as you can: bacon, eggs, avocados, nuts. Use carbs only around your workout time. This will help burn fat, spare muscle, prevent carb metabolism from interfering with consistent, even protein utilization, and make your muscles stand out. Try to avoid soy products, since they contain biochemicals that mimic estrogen and will negate your efforts.

I've sort of plateaued though right now, so I'm temporarily moving up to a higher rep scheme for the time being.

BTW, I'm 6'0" and 165lbs.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:37 AM
FitDay Member

Default ...gaining weight?

Hey all,

I feel like I might be a bit of an oddity here, but I'm trying to put on weight. I'm 5'7 and 130 pounds.

I tried to set a weight goal for myself, but you can't set it higher than your current weight. Any work around that anyone knows of?

Thanks,
Allan
Old 04-27-2010, 09:35 AM
FitDay Member

Default Weight Goal - Gain Weight

In the weight goal section, what if your goal is to gain weight?

when i enter in my weight goal it says "Your goal weight is greater than your starting weight."

Any way to change this?
Old 05-10-2010, 04:53 AM
FitDay Member

Default Can't add a custom weight goal

This is a suggestion for Fit Day.

I know a lot of people at my gym use fit day who are trying to gain muscle mass. I am trying to put on 5-10 pounds of muscle. The site is a great way to track calories and my protein/carbs/fat ratio.

I really wish I could enter a custom weight goal for myself that is more than my current weight. Currently, when I try to set my goal, it comes back with an error and says my goal weight can't be more than my starting weight. I don't understand why this doesn't work. I should be able to set my goal to whatever weight I want.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.