Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > Forum Feedback and Support > FitDay 2.0 Feedback & Support
Trying to Use FitDay to Gain Weight? Read Me! >

Trying to Use FitDay to Gain Weight? Read Me!

Community
Notices

Trying to Use FitDay to Gain Weight? Read Me!

Old 06-29-2011, 07:36 AM
Administrator

Hi,

Please see the numerous threads regarding this issue (short answer: we don't do weight gain here).

I am merging this thread with one of them.

Thank you,

Paul
Old 07-14-2011, 05:28 AM
FitDay Member

Default To skinny want to gain weight.

I am 5'2 I just DELIVERED A 8.6 LB BABY BOY NOVEMBER 15, 2010.
My antepartum weight 95, my pregnancy weight was 147 , my postpartum weigh was 115-120 for about 2months now i am 93.lbs.
I hate been so petite my goal weight is to be atleast 110, but hopefully 115-120.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:40 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by samuels23
I am 5'2 I just DELIVERED A 8.6 LB BABY BOY NOVEMBER 15, 2010.
My antepartum weight 95, my pregnancy weight was 147 , my postpartum weigh was 115-120 for about 2months now i am 93.lbs.
I hate been so petite my goal weight is to be atleast 110, but hopefully 115-120.
Well if you want to be healthy don't gorge on junk food to gain the weight. I suggest once you understand how many calories you should eat a day to get to your goal weight that you eat healthy things like nuts, seeds, avocados, and olives to add some healthy extra calories/fats to your diet. Maybe some whole grain breads and pasta too.

Last edited by Rubystars; 07-14-2011 at 05:42 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:05 AM
Super Moderator

samuels,
Welcome to FitDay and congrats on the new baby. Currently we are unable to factor in weight gain calculations with our software but there are many tracking tools and people here to support you along the way.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:34 AM
FitDay Premium Member

One thing that is always helpful, whether you are trying lose weight or gain it, is to start resistance (weight) training. Building muscle along with added calories from good nutritional sources will help you increase your weight in all the right places
Old 07-16-2011, 09:59 AM
FitDay Member

Default "Goal weight is higher than starting weight"

It won't let me enter in a goal to gain weight--what's up with that? There are far fewer resources for people looking to gain weight, and it's unfortunate. I'm 6 feet tall and 110 pounds. I was hoping to use this website, but I guess it's only for weight loss. Oh well.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:10 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by WillC91
It won't let me enter in a goal to gain weight--what's up with that? There are far fewer resources for people looking to gain weight, and it's unfortunate. I'm 6 feet tall and 110 pounds. I was hoping to use this website, but I guess it's only for weight loss. Oh well.
Check out Bodybuilding.com. Their software allows you set a weight goal. (Athough they don't have alot of Fitdays other features.)

You would think that after 15 pages of posts for this feature the Fitday support staff would make this a priority for improving the site. Instead we are getting a new version of the forums? While I don't need the ability to set a weight gain goal, I work in IT and if my department had users continuously requesting a feature like the users here are asking for the weight gain feature it would be a priority.

Sorry if this seems negative. Overall Fitday is a great site and has helped me tremendously. I am just overwhelmed by the unresponsiveness by Fitday support of this (and other) requests for improvement.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:49 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by IBobi
Hello,

Weight loss is a relatively simple calculation, because for the most part it means losing fat; weight gain is far more complex, as most people are not looking to put fat on, but muscle, and this calculation is much more complex and involves activities on a whole different level. In addition, many of those wanting to gain weight are dangerously underweight to begin with, and any weight gain should be under a doctor's care, not a website's. Essentially this is the reason FD does not and will not (at least for the foreseeable future) offer help for those who wish to gain weight.

Best,

Paul
Sorry, I didn't see this before my most recent post on the subject.

Paul; Are you a part of the Fitday support Team? Your post just says 'Member'? If so I find your post to be patronizing and condescending. Your arguments appear to be an attempt to justify the lack of a weight gain feature.

You argue that:
"many of those wanting to gain weight are dangerously underweight to begin with, and any weight gain should be under a doctor's care, not a website's"
but this same argument could be made for the overweight. That doesn't stop Fitday from providing the Weight loss goal. Why is that?

You also argue:
"Weight loss is a relatively simple calculation, because for the most part it means losing fat; weight gain is far more complex, as most people are not looking to put fat on, but muscle, and this calculation is much more complex and involves activities on a whole different level." This statement is also incorrect. The fact is that the variables are the same. Calorie deficit or surplus (along with the macro-nutrient break down of those calories), Base metabolic rate, and the amount and type of exercise performed determine what a persons body will look like after a period of weight gain or loss. Weight loss never occurs without the loss of muscle and muscle gain rarely occurs without some body fat gains.

If you are going to make an excuse at least attempt to make it a plausible one. If this is the attitude of the Fitday support staff I would think a rethinking of, and education of what good customer service entails is in order.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:05 AM
Administrator

Hi RP,

Thank you for bringing my signature info to my attention -- I have changed it!

As you remarked, we have received innumerable requests for a weight-gain function on FD over the years; clearly, if it were feasible and desirable for us to address this, we could make some members happy doing it. The explanation for why we are not doing it and have no intention of doing so is because we do not wish to, for the reasons given in the post you quoted above.

To reiterate: technically, gaining muscle weight *as a goal* is a very different calculation from losing fat; medically, it is very touchy as well -- someone who is dangerously underweight can be in a more medically precarious position than someone who is overweight, and a doctor should be consulted. You are free of course to disagree with our findings.

This is not a bodybuilding site; those are out there and if that's your thing, we encourage you to make use of one -- or start one, if you have that level of expertise. In the future, FitDay will enable users to access licensed nutritionists for a fee; at that time, one of them may address your desire to gain weight. FitDay is for members who wish to lose weight and achieve and maintain a healthy, fit lifestyle. We like that, and have no plans to change it

Paul O'Brien
Community manager
FitDay
Old 07-27-2011, 07:39 AM
FitDay Member

Default new and trying to set my goals

It wont let me set my goal weight. it says its greater than my start weight. How can I configure this to allow me to gain weight?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.