FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Exercise (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/)
-   -   Going to start running - looking for tips (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/9418-going-start-running-looking-tips.html)

Labarr15 04-10-2013 09:58 PM

Going to start running - looking for tips

Hello!

I have been wanting to lose weight since Christmas and it starts now. I am currently attending college - So I have access to the gym 24/7. Not sure if you can see my stats but I am 19 years old 220lbs 5'10".

I was looking to maybe lose the weight by running 5/6 times a week, following this guide.

Learn to Run - Beginner Training Schedule to Run Two Miles

What are your thoughts on this? To much? To little? I am determind to lose around 30pounds or so. But this is the first time I really have to work on my weight since doing sports in high school.

Nutrition is also a big factor in this, but being at college can be somewhat difficult, especially without a car or a kitchen to cook in.

Any personal tips or recommendations for me?

Thanks,
Labarr

tandoorichicken 04-11-2013 06:01 AM

The training program looks good. Honestly, building up slowly is the way to go with running; there are no shortcuts to making it to longer distances. To try is to guarantee an injury.

Eating well in college is just a matter of being mindful. Try not to eat the same stuff every day and if there's a salad bar load up on veggies instead of getting stuck in the pizza/pasta/burger loop, which is basically a whole lot of empty calories with a little bit of redeeming tomato sauce or meat tossed in.

Also, since I graduated not too long ago (or so I like to think) I'm not going to deny the fact that there's a social life aspect to this as well. Putting aside the broader health considerations for a second, drinking beer is essentially the same as drinking liquid bread. Most people wouldn't eat an entire loaf of bread in one sitting; drinking a sixer in a night basically amounts to the same. The hard stuff is lower in calories but cocktails can be sugar bombs, so watch out for those. If I could do it all over again, I'd stick to 2 - 3 neat bourbons and nurse them over the course of the typical party, about 4-5 hours. Occasional beers are fine.

Good luck!

hipeee 04-27-2013 05:47 AM

I think the key is to just get out there and do it. The training guide looks good, but if you can't run a half mile at first, don't beat yourself up. Or if it takes you longer to reach the 1.75 it's ok. The big ticket item is to keep doing it. When I started, I could hardly run at all...not even a tenth of a mile two years ago. Started seriously running a little over a year ago and I average about 4 miles per run now....it didn't happen overnight though. I just kept at it.

Find your pace. Find what feels good. And just getting out there, you'll find yourself improving without realizing it.
I agree with Nik, too. While I'm guilty, myself, of the occasional overindulgence in beers, they are terrible for weight loss. I lovingly refer to them as "a sandwich in a can." Try clear liquors if you're into the social scene. But do watch the soda intake with them. If I drink a cocktail, I try to use diet tonic water or seltzer and maybe some lemon or lime. Sodas will kill weight loss goals too.
It's tough on a college campus, I know. I went back to school in my 30s and even though I had better access to healthy foods, it was still difficult with the long hours and if I forgot to bring my lunch/dinner.

Good luck!!! :)

pauleteowens 05-14-2013 12:48 PM

Think of safety first, shall we say do the things that a starter usually do, like walking or a little jogging, walking up and down stairs and the like. Give importance to diet, that is the important key in losing weight.

anneyauster 05-19-2013 08:20 PM

Swap your regular cheese for goat's cheese. It's 40 per cent lower in calories than cheese made from cow's milk.
Drink oolong tea instead of water. The combination of caffeine and EGCGs will burn 12 per cent more body fat.
Choose spinach ahead of other greens. It packs double the fibre, which helps your body process fats more efficiently.
A daily glass of red wine can stop you putting on fat, especially around your belly. Resveratrol from the grapes inhibits the development of fat cells.
Eat more berries to lose weight. Other fruits contain fructose, which can combine with carbs to add body fat.
Eating a bowl of muesli two hours before training increases fat burning during your session. Muesli is a slowdigesting carbohydrate and is less likely to be transferred to the body as fat. A good energy boost.
Eat 'good' fats to burn fat. Eggs, walnuts, rapeseed oil and the dark meat in chicken are all good for this, and also help cut the risk of heart disease.

Corte 08-21-2013 02:23 PM

Remember, it is always mind over matter. Try not to psyche yourself out and just get out there and do it. Give yourself a week to get used to the running and then push yourself a little further. Running can be fun, so make sure to switch up your routes too.