Notices

Exercises for really fat girls!

Old 04-19-2010, 10:33 PM
FitDay Member

Question Exercises for really fat girls!

I just started my new healthy lifestyle April 19. I know the obvious choice is walking, which I plan to do a lot. I can also do freestyle dancing. Any other recommended exercises for someone as out of shape as I am? I would especially like to work on my flexibility and strength. Thanks!

Last edited by jeannaramone; 04-20-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:44 AM
FitDay Member

I might be able to help you, I'm 42 and started at 244, this morning I weighed in at 180, so I'm down 64 total. I live a pretty active life, but was huffing and puffing and lethargic at Christmas. We bought an elliptical machine for Christmas. I will caution that it's one of those things you have to work up too, start at 1-2 minutes, then 5, then 10, and so on, and it's easier with music (so put on your headphones and revolve to the beat). I do an hour full out every morning now, it gets me up and moving better than coffee, it's a really great calorie burner and awesome for your heart. From what I can tell it burns 8-12 calories per minute depending on your weight and on the enthusiasm of your workout. Another exercise I recommend is biking, either stationary or road. It's easy on the knees and you can tailor the impact to your fitness level. You might be out of shape, but I'll bet your body still knows how to ride a bike. You should also work out with weights a couple of days a week, just light hand weights at first then increase either the weight or the number of reps as you get in better shape. And for flexibility, there is nothing better than yoga. It's very low impact and you can get DVD's that are beginner enough for young children. Our local library has a really good selection and when I find one I like, then I buy my own copy. Oh, and if you can get to a pool that's a great low impact, calorie burning workout, even if you're just goofing around, and you don't have to get a sitter because the kids will gladly go with you and keep you there longer than you would stay by yourself.

Last edited by almeeker; 04-20-2010 at 01:47 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:59 AM
FitDay Member

Default You are an inspiration!

First of all, congratulations on your BIG success! You are certainly an inspiration. The advice you gave is right on.

I will look into finding one of the machines. Yoga is something I've been very interested in, but am having such a hard time doing. I need to find a Yoga dvd for fat girls.

Again, thank you for your wonderful advice.

Last edited by jeannaramone; 04-20-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:16 AM
FitDay Member

I know you mentioned walking and I highly suggest it. I started out at 345 lbs on 1-1-09 and a year and 4 months later am down to 169. I got a used treadmilll- nothing fancy and started out slowly. When I say slowly I mean like 5 minutes at about 2.5 miles an hour. The more I lost the easier the walking got and the longer I could go. I can pound out a mile or two in no time at all now.

If you don't have access to a treadmill you can always walk outside. Throw the headphones on and go. I used to drive around the parking lot looking for the closest spot. Now I park far away and get in those few extra steps as everything counts!

Good luck with your weight loss. Keep your mind in the right place and you will succeed.

Deanna
Old 04-20-2010, 04:33 AM
FitDay Member

One of the best things we ever did was pick up a used treadmill for $25. We discovered that we'd actually USE the thing! We also have a bowflex that now proudly sits next to the treadmill in our new addition--we have a section of the family room/tv room/Wii room set aside for exercise equipment.

Walking...definitely. I'm up to a full hour. Our treadmill (the new one that we bought last year) thankfully has one touch incline up to 10% and goes up to 10 mph so that when I get there, I can jog. I started at a 2% incline, and just 2-3 mph. Now (10 days later) I vary the incline from a minimum of 3% to 8% and speed varies from 2.4 to 3.0 mph. I go an hour per day, 5 days a week. I'm getting ready to start using the bowflex for part of that hour, 3 days a week too.

Start easy, but remember how hard you have to work to start, and keep that up. When it starts getting easy, beef up your speed or resistance so that you're still getting the heart rate up. Wear good, well-fitting shoes, stretch your feet if you need to! I've always been active, just got fat. So I started with a lot of walking ability. You have to do what works for you. Stretch yourself a bit, and one tip to starting is intervals. Walk at a speed that makes you huff and puff a bit for a few minutes, then slow it down for a few minutes. You'll be able to go for longer times especially when you're first starting out.

Resistance bands are a cheap way to get strength training in and can be used while sitting or standing. I also have a couple of the big exercise balls with a dvd for their use. Yoga is awesome, I have a couple of basic Yoga dvd's made my Living Earth.

I'm 41 and this is it for me--this is my time to make my body the best I can make it! You can too!
Old 04-20-2010, 04:37 AM
FitDay Member

I think it's best to first find types of exercise that you enjoy doing so that you'll stick with it on a regular basis. Then just modify the exercises to meet your needs. For example, I took a yoga class called, 'Yoga for the Buddah Body' and it was geared for obese bodies. Basically we learned to use the straps & blocks to accommodate our belly fat, etc. So actually anyone could do it on their own without taking a class by just modifying the regular poses to accommodate your body & using the blocks & straps. I use a large ball to do my abs on b/c I can't do the exercises laying down flat. I bought a rebounder to do aerobics since I can't handle impact movements on the floor at my size.
Basically, my advice is to do the exercise you enjoy the most then just do what you can to modify the exercise to be tailored to your own body. BTW, after a while it's amazing to watch how much more you can do in such a short time and gives a boost to your motivation the first time you're able to do the exercises without having to modify them.
Congrats on your choice to exercise! Also, if you want some motivation to walk more and give yourself some accountability, Almeeker started a pedometer challenge here. I'm just starting it, but I think they list their weekly steps at the end of every week.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:40 AM
FitDay Member

Default aerobics

I have fallen in love with water aerobics. It's easy on your body and you still burn tons of calories. Plus it's just fun to do. I try to go 3-4 times a week.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:44 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by desertmountain
I think it's best to first find types of exercise that you enjoy doing so that you'll stick with it on a regular basis. Then just modify the exercises to meet your needs. For example, I took a yoga class called, 'Yoga for the Buddah Body' and it was geared for obese bodies. Basically we learned to use the straps & blocks to accommodate our belly fat, etc. So actually anyone could do it on their own without taking a class by just modifying the regular poses to accommodate your body & using the blocks & straps. I use a large ball to do my abs on b/c I can't do the exercises laying down flat. I bought a rebounder to do aerobics since I can't handle impact movements on the floor at my size.
Basically, my advice is to do the exercise you enjoy the most then just do what you can to modify the exercise to be tailored to your own body. BTW, after a while it's amazing to watch how much more you can do in such a short time and gives a boost to your motivation the first time you're able to do the exercises without having to modify them.
Congrats on your choice to exercise! Also, if you want some motivation to walk more and give yourself some accountability, Almeeker started a pedometer challenge here. I'm just starting it, but I think they list their weekly steps at the end of every week.
Great advice. It's taken me years to figure out what/when works for me. There was always an excuse NOT to work out/exercise because of the kids' stuff or needing to make dinner. It's not the same for everyone. So not only what you do, but when you choose to work it into your day consistently is important.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:22 PM
FitDay Member

Look up a DVD titled "AM and PM yoga for weight loss", I got my copy through Gaiam Healthy, Green Living: Yoga, Fitness, & Organic Products. I am very much not flexible, and this is a good beginner's workout (2, actually: 30 minutes in the morning and 30 before bed). It does require a yoga strap and 2 yoga bricks, a long belt and 2 blocks of wood would work just fine. Elliptical is awesome, I have bad joints and can't do any impact exercises at all, so it's hard for me to get good cardio in. Almeeker's right, expect it to kick your BUTT the first time you try it.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:14 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Lizzycritter
Look up a DVD titled "AM and PM yoga for weight loss", I got my copy through Gaiam Healthy, Green Living: Yoga, Fitness, & Organic Products. I am very much not flexible, and this is a good beginner's workout (2, actually: 30 minutes in the morning and 30 before bed). It does require a yoga strap and 2 yoga bricks, a long belt and 2 blocks of wood would work just fine. Elliptical is awesome, I have bad joints and can't do any impact exercises at all, so it's hard for me to get good cardio in. Almeeker's right, expect it to kick your BUTT the first time you try it.
Lizzycritter - I had the same problem with cardio so I just bought a rebounder. Mine has a bar in the front to hold onto for stability. Ankles, hips & knees can burn if I overdo but I don't get that long term pain that can take days to recover from. Here's an article about rebounders. Why rebounding is so beneficial

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.