Notices

So, where are all you runners?

Old 06-23-2010, 11:15 AM
FitDay Member

Default Back to running

My first time posting on here. I started losing weight about 11 weeks ago and took up running 5 weeks ago. I used to run in high school but that was about 7 years ago. I have tried running several times in the past but this time i made a change. I singed up for a 5k on the 4th of July and decided to make no excuses. I can now run between 4-5 miles without stopping Just thought I would share that so everyone knows that it is possible to get back in shape. (BTW, I was about 5'8 255 when I started running 5 weeks ago and am now 244)
Old 06-26-2010, 03:06 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hi jheintz,
Your 5K is coming right up. Do you think that you'll stick with the running now that you've got the old groove back?

11 pounds in 5 weeks is super! I'm sure the running helped and I'm sure the weight loss helped the running

BTW: Ran the 15mile trail race that I have been training for and came in 3rd in my age group! Shattered last year's time by 20 minutes! Since a very large part of my motivation for losing 30 pounds was to become a better runner, I'd say Mission Accomplished! But the work isn't over yet. Lots of more races, and a few more pounds.

One foot in front of the other, everyone!
Old 06-28-2010, 01:54 PM
FitDay Member

Runbikeski,

I plan on keeping up the running after the 5k. I am really excited now that it is less then a week away. I started my weight loss on April 6th by eating better. Started the running to help speed up the weight loss. I was 266 then. Now i am down to 240 and feel so much better. The running has really helped. I was hoping to try a 10k eventually so maybe that will be the next goal. Way to go on the trail race, 20 minutes is a huge improvement.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:17 AM
FitDay Member

Just an update for everyone..finished my first 5k in like 8 years. Finished just under 35min. Not a very good time but I was happy that I didn't walk at all. Also, I am down 28pounds since April 6th
Old 07-05-2010, 02:01 AM
FitDay Member

Ran my first 5k last Sat. (7/3/10)-did it in 27:15 and placed 12th out of 35 in my age division (40-49) and placed 48th out of 314 overall-not bad for my 1st time.

However,I think my time would have been better if it weren't for the calf muscle I pulled at the 1k marker-big bummer but I tried not to let it slow me down too much.
I feel I could've got into the top 10 in my age bracket if it didn't injure myself

Very fun & cool experience, I also registered to for the next 5k for 7/24 as soon as I got home-gotta get into the top 10
Old 07-05-2010, 03:39 AM
FitDay Member

Way to go sw07. At least you finished the race even with hurting yourself!