FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Exercise (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/)
-   -   So, where are all you runners? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/865-so-where-all-you-runners.html)

jheintz1 06-23-2010 11:15 AM

Back to running

My first time posting on here. I started losing weight about 11 weeks ago and took up running 5 weeks ago. I used to run in high school but that was about 7 years ago. I have tried running several times in the past but this time i made a change. I singed up for a 5k on the 4th of July and decided to make no excuses. I can now run between 4-5 miles without stopping :) Just thought I would share that so everyone knows that it is possible to get back in shape. (BTW, I was about 5'8 255 when I started running 5 weeks ago and am now 244)

RunbikeSki 06-26-2010 03:06 AM

Hi jheintz,
Your 5K is coming right up. Do you think that you'll stick with the running now that you've got the old groove back?

11 pounds in 5 weeks is super! I'm sure the running helped and I'm sure the weight loss helped the running

BTW: Ran the 15mile trail race that I have been training for and came in 3rd in my age group! Shattered last year's time by 20 minutes! Since a very large part of my motivation for losing 30 pounds was to become a better runner, I'd say Mission Accomplished! But the work isn't over yet. Lots of more races, and a few more pounds.

One foot in front of the other, everyone!

jheintz1 06-28-2010 01:54 PM

Runbikeski,

I plan on keeping up the running after the 5k. I am really excited now that it is less then a week away. I started my weight loss on April 6th by eating better. Started the running to help speed up the weight loss. I was 266 then. Now i am down to 240 and feel so much better. The running has really helped. I was hoping to try a 10k eventually so maybe that will be the next goal. Way to go on the trail race, 20 minutes is a huge improvement.

jheintz1 07-04-2010 04:17 AM

Just an update for everyone..finished my first 5k in like 8 years. Finished just under 35min. Not a very good time but I was happy that I didn't walk at all. Also, I am down 28pounds since April 6th :)

sw07 07-05-2010 02:01 AM

Ran my first 5k last Sat. (7/3/10)-did it in 27:15 and placed 12th out of 35 in my age division (40-49) and placed 48th out of 314 overall-not bad for my 1st time.

However,I think my time would have been better if it weren't for the calf muscle I pulled at the 1k marker-big bummer but I tried not to let it slow me down too much.
I feel I could've got into the top 10 in my age bracket if it didn't injure myself:mad:

Very fun & cool experience, I also registered to for the next 5k for 7/24 as soon as I got home-gotta get into the top 10;)

jheintz1 07-05-2010 03:39 AM

Way to go sw07. At least you finished the race even with hurting yourself!