FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Exercise (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/)
-   -   Couch to 5K (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/855-couch-5k.html)

mtlgirl 04-19-2010 09:11 AM

Avelina, enjoy your few days out of town, wherever that may be. I am going to New York City for 9 days. I'm leaving on Thursday but I sort of live there part time so I have every intention to keep doing the C25K program.

Luckygirl, good for you!!! I am totally out of shape too and while you may hate the running for now, I guarantee you, you will grow to LOVE it! I promise! Keep going and you will soon be getting that "runners' high" and that is the best feeling! I am already seeing an improvement and I'm only one run ahead of you. It's amazingly satisfying when you get fast results. Who knows maybe one day we will all run a marathon or at least a half marathon but I am 100% confident we will all be running 5k soon!

avelina 04-23-2010 06:54 AM

Week 2 Day 2

I just completed day 2 of week 2. It was still hard, especially now that I'm running outdoors. How do people do this? I've always run on treadmills in the past and I'm just so surprised at how much harder I have to work outdoors. I live on the prairie so it's not like I'm running up steep inclines either. I can't wait to be able to run for 30 minutes straight though. :cool:

Luckygir15 04-23-2010 01:26 PM

I just finished day 2 of week 2 today! It was wicked hard, but I think it was slightly easier than day 1 of week 2. I then stayed at the gym another 20 minutes on a bike!

DeathArrow 04-23-2010 04:07 PM

Hola everybody. Just wanted to pop in to say, that a couple weeks ago I completed the Couch to 5K. Before I started it, I could barely run 4 minutes without stopping, but now I can run 30 and it's quite amazing.
For me it wasn't really hard because I believe the program was formulated so that it wasn't too hard because if it was, people might not keep doing it...and it's true, I kept doing it because I knew that afterwards I wasn't going to be dieing. But it was a bit hard to get to 25 minute mark from 20 indeed.
I hope you all stick to it, because really when you find yourself running 20 minutes without stopping, like it's nothing, you just are so happy because it's not impossible and before it used to seem so out of sight for you.

Good luck everyone, Couch to 5K does have a forum...it's a good running forum, I like it.

mtlgirl 04-24-2010 03:53 AM

Hello from the Big Apple!

I just completed Day 2 of Week 2 today even though I am on vacation in New York City. I ran along the East River and it was totally invigorating!

Luckygirl, way to go! I also thought it was pretty hard but way easier than Day 1 of Week 1 so I feel good!

Avelina, NYC is flat like the prairies except it's all concrete. It definitely is harder to run outside. On the treadmill I can run way faster and for longer periods. Won't it be exciting when we can run a whole 5k outside like it's nothing?!

DeathArrow, thanks for the encouragement and congrats on completing the program!

Now I am off to an outdoor market in Brooklyn. Happy running Everyone!!!

cjohnson728 04-24-2010 03:34 PM

I am with DeathArrow...I just finished this program. The jump from 20-25 is hard but you can do it! For me, I was a little winded at first but this passes; the harder part toward the end was my legs getting tired. But I just pictured the tone they were developing and that carried me through.

I have just now started running outside...been twice. It IS hard!! I can go a little over a mile before walking, whereas on the treadmill it was much further. Kudos to you for getting outside to do it! Hopefully I can build up without having to go back to the beginning :eek:.

Congrats to all of you and keep up the good work. You have some awesome energy here!

avelina 04-25-2010 07:19 AM

To those who have already completed it, thanks for the encouragement. I have actually completed it twice before but didn't stick with it long afterwards, partly due to a back injury, partly due to laziness after the injury. I'm hoping that I'll be able to continue this time!

Today was W3 D3. I'm excited/nervous about next week, running for three minutes!
Luckygirl5-way to go on the bike after the run!
mtlgirl-I'm so jealous that you are in NYC! I was there about a month ago for the first time and I just fell in love with the city. I live in a much smaller city and nothing but fields surrounding it. It has it's beauty too, but NY is definitely more exciting.

Keep running!

avelina 04-29-2010 07:23 AM

I did day 2 of week 3 today in the cold rain-and I feel great!

Luckygir15 05-04-2010 06:31 AM

How is everyone doing?

I decided to do a second week of week 2 last week and just did day of 1 of week 3 today. OMG was I covered in sweat at the gym!!!! After that I stayed at the gym an extra 20 minutes on the bike for a total of 50 minutes at the gym! Now off to do some crunches and such!!!!

avelina 05-07-2010 06:19 AM

I'm still doing well! Tomorrow I finish off week 4, and it's been a rough week. My last run was difficult and I wanted to quit a few times but I kept with it. I'm really nervous about next week, running for eight minutes, then twenty straight, all in the same week! I think next week may be a good repeat week for me since I've struggled so much with this one.