FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Exercise (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/)
-   -   Couch to 5K (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/855-couch-5k.html)

tjkhoover 06-18-2010 09:02 AM

Avelina and Luckygirl....congratulations...huge accomplishments! :o)

mtlgirl 06-21-2010 08:16 AM

I started week 5 today and I feel great! :)

Have an amazing day, Everyone!

tjkhoover 06-21-2010 02:55 PM

W1d1

Susan8Less 06-21-2010 04:55 PM

The Couch-to-5K Running Plan sounds pretty good. But can a 44 year old 100 lbs overweight woman realistically do this?

avelina 06-21-2010 05:47 PM

Hi Susan! I don't know if someone 100 lbs overweight could realistically do the C25K plan, although I think it could be done at 44 years old. If you really want to try it, do the first week and see how you feel. It may be too much with 100 extra pounds. I have about 30 more to lose and it's been okay for me. Let us know if you start, we'll be here cheering you on!

mtlgirl 06-21-2010 11:48 PM

Hi Susan, welcome!

I see that you live in Ontario. Are you familiar with the Running Room? It is a store that sells running gear but they also have running and walking clubs. Before I started the C25K, I had 2 years of walking behind me. I'm not saying you need to walk for 2 years before you can run, but it might be a good idea to do some power walking for a little while to build up the muscles in your legs, especially the ones that support your knees, before you take on running. An injury could take months of expensive physiotherapy to heal. Check out these tips: Power Walking | Walking for Fitness

Like Avelina said, 44 is not a problem. When I was participating in the walking club at the Running Room, there were a couple of members who were way into their 50's and 60's. Some of them were still running while others had switched to walking. It really is a fun activity and you'd be surprised what a workout it will be. I'm not talking about taking a leisurely stroll here. I mean put on your headphones and really go for it! You will experience that amazing runner's high just the same. I got a lot of enjoyment from it, especially walking up the mountain here in Montreal. It's a lot more fun outdoors than on a treadmill.

Best of luck and let us know what you decide! We'll be cheering you on for sure!

mtlgirl 06-21-2010 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by tjkhoover (Post 14051)
W1d1

Way to go, Jackie! ;)

tjkhoover 06-22-2010 03:41 AM

Hi Susan....I was 75 lbs. overweight when I started the first time around. (about a year ago). The road was too difficult but I did manage to do it on a treadmill. I would recommend building your leg strength first by walking at an incline of 10 for 20 minutes a day for several weeks. A personal trainer at the Y showed me this and You will be surprised how fast your leg strength increases and walking seems so much lighter even while being overweight.

As far as C25K....the program is set up for you to work at it and repeat weeks if you need to but also to push you to the next level of fitness. It is an incredible program. It took me 11 weeks to get to level 7. I was running for 25 minutes and couldn't believe it. I would recommend you go slowly and believe in yourself.... as long as you have no other fitness issues like heart problems, etc. You can do it!

:O)

Luckygir15 06-25-2010 05:26 AM

Just completed W7D2. Should have been D3, but life got in the way this week...

Everyone keep up the fantastic work! I know that if I can run 25 minutes straight; anyone can with this program. AMAZING!!!

mtlgirl 06-25-2010 07:04 AM

Holy crap I'm supposed to run for 20 minutes tomorrow? I completed day 2 of week 5 yesterday, and just noticed that next time I run, I am supposed to run for 20 minutes straight. I ran for 8 minutes straight yesterday and thought it was a little hard. How am I supposed to jump to 20 minutes? I'm scared, y'all! :eek: