FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Exercise (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/)
-   -   30 Day Shred... (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/793-30-day-shred.html)

EMS1981 04-07-2010 06:35 AM

30 Day Shred...

I want to add Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred to my exercise routine but I need a buddy to hold me accountable. I refuse to go another summer in Southern Cali looking the way I do. Please join me on my journey that will begin tomorrow (4-08-10). :D

__________________________________________________ ________________
Starting weight: 215lbs
Current weight: 206lbs
Goal weight: 150lbs

MissLisaMonet 04-07-2010 07:27 AM

are you an advanced worker outer??? if not and youre kinda begginer/intermediate like me i will get the dvd and we can do it together??

veixsus 04-07-2010 07:43 AM

I love this DVD! I'm still on level 1, but it's been kicking my butt in a good way. :)

NessaSonic 04-07-2010 01:05 PM

I'm doing the Biggest Loser 6-week sculpting dvd, but when that's up, I'd like to go back to do the 30 Day Shred. I could really feel the difference the couple weeks I did it the first time, I wish I had stuck with it. I really REALLY want to be able to do full pushups! Arm strength/ arm tone is a huge goal of mine along with the 80+lbs I plan on losing.

EMS1981 04-07-2010 02:51 PM

I'm definitely not an "advance worker outer". :D I'm a beginner.

SkinnyErinn 04-07-2010 02:56 PM

I'm in... with pics!

I feel like I'm playing poker. I will get the DVD tomorrow and start it. We can trade before and after pics (after the 30 days) to hold eachother even more accountable! Somehow knowing that I will have to SHOW the difference help me stay on track.

jasiminelady 04-23-2010 06:34 AM

30 day shred

I have completed 11 workouts using level one of the 30 day shred within the last 15 days. What I have noticed so far is increased flexibility, energy, and muscle tone. I have lost 3 inches in my waist and 2.5 lbs. The workout has become easier and I can now do one real push-up :-). I find that taking a 30+ min walk after this workout helps with the muscle soreness. Would love to hear how everyone is doing with this program.

veixsus 04-23-2010 08:40 AM

I've been doing this every day since I last posted, although I usually take one day off per week as a much needed rest day since I also bike daily. I'm still on level 1, but will probably be progressing to level 2 pretty soon. I've noticed a remarkable increase in my strength, I'm able to do more advanced versions of most of the exercises and my push-ups, albeit girl push-ups, are progressing well. The push-ups are really the only thing that I have a lot of trouble with since I've never had that much upper body strength, but they've been improving... so I'm very pleased! :)

I've also had really nice support since my boyfriend does this DVD with me as well, although I kind of crack up when Jillian says things like "if you got it flaunt it, ladies, there's no shame!" My boyfriend's pretty awesome for keeping me motivated. :)

I'd love to hear updates from others on how you're progressing!

bsaz 04-26-2010 06:51 PM

Is it too late to join in? I'm on day 7, and I'm going to try level 2 tomorrow. I'm trying to lose the weight from 2 babies.

HolaKitty 04-27-2010 09:08 AM

I'm starting tomorrow! All my friends say it kicks your butt the first time so I'm prepping for some pain but really looking forward to it. I've been doing a few other dvds but found them quite boring and not very time effective so I'm hoping this will be just what I need. I'm excited!! :D

bsaz 04-27-2010 11:10 AM

Did level 2 today. Ouch. It was really hard. Anyone else tweak a knee on pendulam (sp?) lunges?

almeeker 04-27-2010 12:11 PM

So after reading this thread a few days ago, I happened upon the DVD on sale for $8, and thought "Why not?". I need to mix it up anyway, this seemed like a cheap way to do it. So I put it in the DVD player on Monday morning, and run through it like it's nothing. My normal workout is 10-15 minutes of stretching and an hour on the elliptical. I feel good afterward, skip my stretching and jump on the elliptical and go wild for the entire hour. Tuesday morning I wake up with thighs afire, but again I do the shred because it warmed me up really well for the elliptical and I typically work sore muscles to get the kinks out. After the shred I do full out on the elliptical and get the highest revolutions I've ever seen on that machine! Whoo hooo hoooo!!! Well now I'm sitting here and I can hardly move, I'm cold and seized up from my gluts through my calves, when I post this message and go upstairs to put the kiddies to bed, it's quit possibly going to bring tears to my eyes. I have no idea what makes that workout so hard, but there it is. I don't know if I can face the shred tomorrow, we'll see. Right now I'm thinking that if it makes me cry to bend over and put my shorts on I may have to give self the day off.

veixsus 04-27-2010 03:14 PM

Definitely take a day off if you need to. I had to take a few days off unfortunately since I hurt my shoulder (not during shredding or anything), but I still worked out every day... I just doubled up on my usual biking route. :) Although I like to do strength training & cardio... no sense in making my injury worse and putting myself out for longer. I'm looking forward to starting again tomorrow though as my shoulder is all healed!

HolaKitty 04-29-2010 08:13 PM

Oh my goodness I've never felt this sore after a workout! My thighs, my calves, even my shoulder blades are aching like crazy! I didn't think it was so bad during the actual exercises but the next day was practically torture!

Is it best to give your muscles a rest when they're this sore or is it best to just plow through the pain and keep working them out??

almeeker 04-30-2010 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by HolaKitty (Post 9736)
Oh my goodness I've never felt this sore after a workout! My thighs, my calves, even my shoulder blades are aching like crazy! I didn't think it was so bad during the actual exercises but the next day was practically torture!

Is it best to give your muscles a rest when they're this sore or is it best to just plow through the pain and keep working them out??

I don't know. Often I find that if I just rest, then it might take days and days to get over the pain. But if I get the muscles warmed up again the next day, grit teeth through the pain, it will be even worse in 24 hours, but completely better in 48.

cjohnson728 04-30-2010 02:19 PM

This workout does get you at first. My quads seized up the first time I did it, but the results are worth it, so take care of your body but keep it up! Stretching well afterward is a must. I did not do it on consecutive days the first two or three times, but I did walk on alternate days. That seemed to work pretty well. Icing the muscles that are sore could help, too. It goes away fairly quickly, and when you move to the other levels it's not that bad all over again.

Plus a massage is great if you can get it :).

jasiminelady 05-12-2010 08:19 AM

I started the 30 day shred on April 8, 2010. The first couple days my legs were so sore I could hardly move. Read online that taking Apple Cider Vinegar helps relieve muscle soreness. Added that to my daily routine and the pain went away quickly. I have only completed 20 workout sessions. Got sick and had to take a week off.
I love this dvd. My body has improved so much in just a short amount of time. Lost 4.5 lbs and 3 inches in my waist. My strength and flexibility has improved greatly. I am still at level one and plan to remain here until I can do all reps at the advanced level for several workouts. It is great to finally have a workout plan that works and fits into my busy schedule. Good luck everyone!

MichelleKoren 05-13-2010 02:15 AM

30 day shred IS a tough work out. Bootcamp style, I would guess. I went from Denise Austin's dvd's and tv show to her and I thought I was going to die!!! I since started taking kung fu and it was much harder and even still when I put in the shred dvd, it is still hard but doable.

To sum up, it is hard, but VERY effective and so darn brief that b4 you know it you are done.

Good luck everyone.

mtlgirl 06-03-2010 02:24 AM

I am bumping this thread up...

I just started the 30-Day Shred this morning. Wow, what a workout! I know I'm going to feel it tomorrow. My question is, "Do I have to do this every day for 30 days?" I am currently on week 2 of the Couch to 5k running program which I love and am very excited to keep going with it. I run 3 times per week and I thought the 30-Day Shred would be a great workout to do on the days I am not running.

I enjoyed my first workout a lot but could barely keep up with the ab work. It's my weakness. I still can't believe how much I sweat in just 30 minutes but I am very encouraged now that I have read this thread and just wondering if any of you kept it up for the full 30 days and what your final results were.

EMS1981 06-28-2010 12:10 PM

I'm making peace with Jillian once again.

Day 1
Level 1

cjohnson728 06-28-2010 01:03 PM

I didn't do 30 days in a row; I put it in rotation with other exercise (including C25K). That kind of gave me a break and made different muscles sore on different days ;). I thought it was effective as something that will give you visible results pretty quickly, so that helps with motivation to keep going.

I am planning to take this and the No More Trouble Zones on vacation with me. I'll be gone for 10 days, won't have access to a gym, won't be running in the 90+ degree heat, and don't want to lug my weights along. The two of these should be enough to keep me in a holding pattern at least, especially since I haven't done either in 2-3 months.

runawayspoon 06-29-2010 03:19 AM

I just lost a post about this-- yes I am hanging with Jillian and getting results...haaha My dh also , and we laugh when she says "hit the mat, ladies!" Our dog also likes to lie on the towels, so it's a real family affair. I really like the weight training that is part of it.....we also like Kali Rae Yoga tapes, which I tried to get a link to: Kali Ray TriYoga - Free the Spine DVD ~ Kali Ray
Permalink: Amazon.com: Kali Ray TriYoga - Free the Spine: Kali Ray: Movies & TV Well maybe that will work....free the spine, and there is also strengthening, and free the hips. We do all three, and they are wonderful. Take about 40 minutes. I am a definite shred fan! Grandma Sharon:D

stitchergirl 06-29-2010 03:40 AM

I just picked up the 3o Day Shred this morning. So starting day 1 level 1 in about 20 minutes will report back in if it doesn't do me in.

hawaiiadobo 06-29-2010 06:56 AM

I've been doing the 30 day shred everyday(i pretty much started when I started fitday). I was dying on the first day of day one, but stuck with it. I'm now on Day 22 (Day 2 of Level 3) and workout 3 is Killer. I've definitely seen a change in my body - my lower body especially - much more firm. Plus I've lost almost 9 pounds in 3 weeks.

I did change my diet slightly (just watched my calorie intake) so the diet excercise combo really works. Diet wise, I don't really even feel like I'm on a diet because I never feel hungry, I just switched out bad choices with good ones.

I'll probably recheck my measurements after the full 30 days and give you all an update.

EMS1981 06-29-2010 11:55 AM

This time around I'm doing things differently. I'm mixing the levels around so that I don't get bored with it.

Day 2
Level 2

Starting weight: 215
Current weight: 200
Ultimate goal weight: 135

stitchergirl 06-30-2010 06:08 AM

Just finished day 2 level 1, I was sore this morning when I first woke up but now I feel great. Looking forward to my weigh in, did I just say those words out loud, lol.

EMS1981 06-30-2010 01:56 PM

Day 3
Level 1

Jillian is kicking my butt. :D

lprewitt 10-29-2010 07:35 AM

30 Day Shred

Has anyone tried the 30 Day Shred with Jillian Michaels? I just recently cancelled my 2...yes TWO...gym memberships because I could never make it to the gym! I have P90X but I don't feel that I am in any shape to begin that at this time. I would really like to get my cardio and muscle strength up some and then begin P90X. I have three high school students that are in sports year around, so while they look like I use to, I am aquiring 'bleacher butt'.

Current-186
Long Term Goal-140

changeisgood29 10-29-2010 08:06 AM

Heya, I'm one of the many that have tried and consistently use 30 Day Shred. I think it's intense, but the improvements for me came pretty quickly. You'll notice a change in your endurance (and measurements) within the first week or so, if you're anything like me. I do the Shred every other day; I would just get too bored with it doing it every single day. I highly recommend it. I like that I can burn a slew of calories in about 30 minutes and it definitely goes by fast. Good luck to you and welcome to your fitness journey. :) Let us know how it goes.

almeeker 10-29-2010 11:16 AM

I have 3 DD's that are all in soccer, swimming and scouts. One way I've found to get time to work out is to stay at soccer practice and lap the field with my ankle weights on. Occasionally I get pulled on to the field to help with a drill, while the other moms look at me like I'm some sort of wacko. I might be a wacko, but I could blow them all out of the water in a foot race....

I also have the Shred and like it, although I've not used it as often as changeisgood, I'm going back to it for a while because I broke my elliptical.

avelina 11-16-2010 08:35 AM

Jillian Michaels 30-Day Shred

I'm going to be starting the 30-Day Shred right away. Anyone care to start with me?

changeisgood29 11-16-2010 09:18 AM

Hey Avelina, I do the Shred about every other day now, but I'm really curious to see what the results would be like if I were to do it every day. I'd also really like to get to Level 2 at some point (I still fight through Level 1). Which is all to say...

I'm in!

almeeker 11-16-2010 10:20 AM

Well, I can't start with you, but I could start again. Count me in.

avelina 11-17-2010 02:19 PM

YAY! I'd like to say I'll start tomorrow but I'm working a night shift tonight and I know I'll be half dead tomorrow, so I'm going to start Friday morning instead. Looking forward to it!

rubypeanut 11-27-2010 02:11 PM

I've been doing 30 day shred on and off for almost a year now and am actually getting a bit tired of it. Does anyone have any DVD recommendations? I like the intensity, variety, and I REALLLLY like that each workout is short (I work full time and have a small child don't have time for longer workouts)!

dawnmillions 11-27-2010 09:29 PM

I like Jillian Michaels 30 day shred DVD too for when I have little time and want a quick strength trng/cardio work-out. I recommend her "Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism DVD". I find it more challenging than the 30 day shred. It is a longer work-out and is more cardio/calisthenics than the 30 day shred.

It is 50min (incl warm-up and cool-down), but it is done in 7 circuits, so you can end it at an earlier, logical point if you have to. I often get interrupted by my 10-month old when I work-out at home so I like that I can stop early when I have to with this DVD yet still feel like I got a good work-out because it is fairly intense.

hope2hope 01-19-2011 12:16 PM

I am happy I found this!

So happy to have discovered fitday.com today! I have been wanting to get serious about weight loss for years and I have finally decided to do it. I don't have a support group and I am glad I found this site. I am hoping it will help me stay motivated to get to 125 lbs...there is only 50 lbs staying in the way of that (ONLY...I say that so I don't get discouraged :)) I am an emotional eater and smoker too which doesn't help. I am very determined at first and lose motivation half way through. I need someone or something to push me forward even when it gets tough.

Anyone else out there like me? What helped you? How did you do it?

I also have some muscle injuries from a car accident from a few years ago, so exercise is tough most times. I just started Jillian Michaels 30-day shredd and it seems to be going well so far.

I also welcome any advice on how to maximize the use of this site. I am excited!

mecompco 01-19-2011 12:27 PM

Welcome to FitDay.

50 pounds, no problem!

Track your calories and exercise, every single day and you can't help but succeed.

Take a while and read through the forums--there is a ton of good advice and great people here to help.

If you have any questions or need advice, please ask.

Regards,
Michael

NJPrice3 01-23-2011 08:05 AM

I'm also a fan of 30 Day Shred. Jillian Michaels is an awesome trainer, and she's really motivating throughout the workout. It is easy to get bored with it, so sometimes I change it up with one of her other workouts. I was doing it consistently before my last pregnancy and saw amazing results. Now that I've been cleared by the doc to exercise, I'm starting again.

Hope this helps!

Sweetvirgo123 02-14-2011 06:53 AM

Right now, I've got a 30-day gym membership which I go to after work but I also have that DVD plus a handful of other Biggest Loser DVD's and other fitness DVD's as well. I find they are great but I have to change them around often to prevent boredom.