Notices

Weight gain

Old 07-11-2012, 08:42 PM
FitDay Member

Default Weight gain

Hi there!
I joined the gym about six weeks ago and I've been exercising almost every day since then. I have been noticing my arms and thighs getting slimmer, but my waist is more or less the same (and yes, I am on a medically controlled 1500 kcal diet). Also, I've gained about 3 kgs. I know this is probably muscle, not fat, but I was wondering if you guys knew when I'll start losing weight instead of gaining it. At the moment I'm doing 25 minutes on the treadmill and 35 on the elliptical machine (besides of crunches series).

Do you have any advice?
Old 07-11-2012, 11:51 PM
FitDay Member

Hello,
Are you drinking enough water??? When I was gaining it was because I didn't drink enough. When I started to drink more the weight started coming off again.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:01 AM
FitDay Member

If your arms are getting thinner then you're losing fat. The stomach is one of the last places you lose fat from because it's one of the first places you'll gain it.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:39 AM
FitDay Member

I'll try and drink a bit more, then! Also, yes, my arms, thighs, back and face are getting slimmer, I guess it'll just take a bit longer for my stomach to do the same.
Thanks guys!
Old 07-15-2012, 07:19 AM
FitDay Member

Cardio alone won't do a ton to help you lose weight. Sad but true. You have to do TONS to have any effect. Weight training/Strength training is better for weight loss. You will gain muscle but mostly your BMR will improve, meaning your body will begin to burn more calories while at rest. Good Luck.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:42 AM
FitDay Member

800 kcal?? I burn around 2000 by doing nothing, I doubt a calorie deficit that high would do me any good.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:49 AM
FitDay Member

I agree with Absentha, 800 cal is too low for anyone.

Good Luck Absentha
Old 07-16-2012, 01:20 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you! ^^
Old 07-21-2012, 03:13 AM
FitDay Member

You are so right..had a problem with a knee and went to an orthopaedic surgeon...he advised against surgery, shots, etc. He prescribed low impact regular exercise to lose weight. He said that the plain truth is that roughly 80% of change is due to what we eat and the rest is attributed to exercise. The exercise makes you feel better so you will continue exercising and exercise becomes easier as the weight drops. So, the greatest effect is in trying to eat the densest food that is good for you and continue exercising regularly.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:17 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Absentha
Hi there!
I joined the gym about six weeks ago and I've been exercising almost every day since then. I have been noticing my arms and thighs getting slimmer, but my waist is more or less the same (and yes, I am on a medically controlled 1500 kcal diet). Also, I've gained about 3 kgs. I know this is probably muscle, not fat, but I was wondering if you guys knew when I'll start losing weight instead of gaining it. At the moment I'm doing 25 minutes on the treadmill and 35 on the elliptical machine (besides of crunches series).

Do you have any advice?
A lot of quick weight changes like that are water fluctuations in the body. You really need to take a look at your weight/composition changes over the course of a month and just assure that you are continuing to move in the right direction.

-Ted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.