FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Exercise (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/)
-   -   Weight gain (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/7838-weight-gain.html)

Absentha 07-11-2012 08:42 PM

Weight gain

Hi there!
I joined the gym about six weeks ago and I've been exercising almost every day since then. I have been noticing my arms and thighs getting slimmer, but my waist is more or less the same (and yes, I am on a medically controlled 1500 kcal diet). Also, I've gained about 3 kgs. I know this is probably muscle, not fat, but I was wondering if you guys knew when I'll start losing weight instead of gaining it. At the moment I'm doing 25 minutes on the treadmill and 35 on the elliptical machine (besides of crunches series).

Do you have any advice?

ahappieru 07-11-2012 11:51 PM

Hello,
Are you drinking enough water??? When I was gaining it was because I didn't drink enough. When I started to drink more the weight started coming off again.

badgolfer828 07-12-2012 08:01 AM

If your arms are getting thinner then you're losing fat. The stomach is one of the last places you lose fat from because it's one of the first places you'll gain it.

Absentha 07-15-2012 06:39 AM

I'll try and drink a bit more, then! Also, yes, my arms, thighs, back and face are getting slimmer, I guess it'll just take a bit longer for my stomach to do the same.
Thanks guys!

[email protected] 07-15-2012 07:19 AM

Cardio alone won't do a ton to help you lose weight. Sad but true. You have to do TONS to have any effect. Weight training/Strength training is better for weight loss. You will gain muscle but mostly your BMR will improve, meaning your body will begin to burn more calories while at rest. Good Luck.

Absentha 07-16-2012 12:42 AM

800 kcal?? I burn around 2000 by doing nothing, I doubt a calorie deficit that high would do me any good.

ahappieru 07-16-2012 12:49 AM

I agree with Absentha, 800 cal is too low for anyone.

Good Luck Absentha :)

Absentha 07-16-2012 01:20 AM

Thank you! ^^

bobslo 07-21-2012 03:13 AM

You are so right..had a problem with a knee and went to an orthopaedic surgeon...he advised against surgery, shots, etc. He prescribed low impact regular exercise to lose weight. He said that the plain truth is that roughly 80% of change is due to what we eat and the rest is attributed to exercise. The exercise makes you feel better so you will continue exercising and exercise becomes easier as the weight drops. So, the greatest effect is in trying to eat the densest food that is good for you and continue exercising regularly.

lumpy788 07-22-2012 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Absentha (Post 85281)
Hi there!
I joined the gym about six weeks ago and I've been exercising almost every day since then. I have been noticing my arms and thighs getting slimmer, but my waist is more or less the same (and yes, I am on a medically controlled 1500 kcal diet). Also, I've gained about 3 kgs. I know this is probably muscle, not fat, but I was wondering if you guys knew when I'll start losing weight instead of gaining it. At the moment I'm doing 25 minutes on the treadmill and 35 on the elliptical machine (besides of crunches series).

Do you have any advice?

A lot of quick weight changes like that are water fluctuations in the body. You really need to take a look at your weight/composition changes over the course of a month and just assure that you are continuing to move in the right direction.

-Ted

Absentha 07-23-2012 09:02 AM

Thanks for your advice everyone!

lewisbell 07-29-2012 05:35 PM

20 to 30 minutes walks is essential to reduce weight.

RobbG73 08-07-2012 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by lewisbell (Post 86443)
20 to 30 minutes walks is essential to reduce weight.

A nice long walk right after a good workout is a nice way to lose weight.
I also agree with everyone here. Make sure you are getting enough water.
Stubborn belly fat is the last to go. ;)
Robb

Icewithin 08-07-2012 03:41 AM

I must admit I thought I would lose loads of weight once I started exercising but it just hasn't happened and I've been going (with some gaps) for a year now. I still lose on average just under 1lb a week which is no different from before I started exercising.

However, the difference is apparent when the gym measured my body fat and found that I now have within the recommended % for internal fat (the bad stuff around your organs). I may still have a lot of weight to lose but it's good to know that internally I'm healthier than I ever have been.

Kathy13118 08-07-2012 05:23 AM

What does 'medically controlled' mean when you describe your diet? If you are still making your food choices yourself, and cooking and buying food, then take a day or two and just eat some frozen meals and have some liquid meal supplement to add up to 1500 calories for the day. Don't eat anything else and don't snack. Do that for a few days and you should lose weight. If you don't, then you should go straight to your doctor and explain the situation.

If you don't lose weight when other people (companies, products) are doing the measuring, then you have a medical problem and your doctor should become involved in working on THAT problem. When people measure food for themselves, and start tracking food themselves, errors start to creep in. A few days of frozen meals will show it.