FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Exercise (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/)
-   -   NEED HELP...After much success, now on the verge of quitting (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/7824-need-help-after-much-success-now-verge-quitting.html)

bluuangel 07-09-2012 03:49 PM

NEED HELP...After much success, now on the verge of quitting

After having lost nearly 70 pounds over the past 1 1/2 yrs, 20 of them since January (when I joined a gym), I am BORED OUT OF MY MIND at the gym and am on the verge of quitting. You might say that I just need to switch-up my routine, but I have already done that several times and feel as though there is nothing left to switch to (Planet Fitness is a VERY basic gym). I have not quit going to the gym but have definitely started to slack off some. When I DO go, I am having to push myself extremely hard to finish my goal for the visit. THIS IS INCREDIBLY HARD, and I know I won't be able to keep it up. Fortunately, I'm not in bad shape now at 5'4" and 135 lbs., but I really had plans on losing another 10-15 lbs. I definitely DO NOT want to lose the progress I've made. :( I have no clue what I can do outside of the gym that will be just as effective as the machines at the gym. Maybe I could just get an exercise partner at the gym, but I'm afraid the boredom will only come back or never go away, even with a gym partner. I hate to run. Brisk walking doesn't burn enough calories. Racquetball or tennis would be great, but a partner is needed and who will do that 4-5+ times per week? I'm OUT OF IDEAS and SCARED TO DEATH! Someone PLEASE have a good answer for me...I would be very grateful!

01gt4.6 07-09-2012 03:55 PM

I think a workout partner and a new routine is what you need. Do you listen to you own music at the gym?

wildbeanerz 07-09-2012 11:50 PM

If you can't find a partner 4-5 times a week, how about 2 different partners 2 times a week? You could really mix it up by doing different styles of workouts with each partner. Maybe Zumba or spinning would give you the burn that you need? Do Zumba and spinning with one partner and then hit the weights with your other partner the other two days? It is hard when it gets stale. It is definitely time to mix it up a bit.

RunbikeSki 07-10-2012 05:28 AM

The best exercise is the one you enjoy the most

You have hit the nail on the head as to why I was never much of a gym rat, booooorrrrrinnnng. I'm a totally outdoors kinda girl. I used to say that if it wasn't outdoors, it wasn't exercise. That is until I discoverd CrossFit (no advertising... but maybe a little prostilizing). You can google it is you are not familiar. A CrossFit gym is part bootcamp, part traditional weight lifting, and now a part of my extended family.

I defiinitely agree that it is time to switch it up. Not just your gym routine, but maybe a new class, and a whole new activity. I have to admit I have always had a hard time finding exercise partners, at least ones that last for very long. But when I do partner up for a while it really does make the time spent more enjoyable.

The bottom line? DO NOT QUIT! Just start broadening your exercise horizons!

sierra_shadow 07-10-2012 05:28 AM

I like the idea of more than one partner. You don't want to depend on one person since they may lose interest too. But what you REALLY need (IMHO) is to find something outside the gym. I hate going to the gym but once there, I usually do pretty well. But once I found something I REALLY enjoy outside the gym, I did WAY better. In my case, since I live near mountains, I love to hike. I joined a hiking club and now I am in the best shape of my life. Unfortunately that shape is still a bit too round! But I am also losing weight again for the first time in a long time, thanx mostly to fitday. Please don't give up, just change your routine!!!

rpmcduff 07-10-2012 06:51 AM

Whatever you do, Don't give up! You mention the machines at the gym, are you doing any free weights? If not there is a whole world of exercises and variations using dumbells and barbells. If you haven't used them before ask the attendents at the gym to educate you before you jump in. Might be enough to add another dimension to your workouts and your outlook. Check out Bodybuilding.com and their forum for weight training exercises and routines for beginners.

djslatt 07-10-2012 08:57 AM

When I had access to a gym that had racquetball, I loved just knocking the ball around by myself...and it was great exercise. You might also try Pilates and/or Zumba. I love Pilates and want to try Zumba. People I've talked to say it's loads of fun...

Kathy13118 07-11-2012 01:32 AM

Have a book you've always wanted to read, but don't find the time? Hop on a stationary bike and read. I've been going through a stack of magazines I planned to throw out - reading one each time I go to the bike.

bluuangel 07-13-2012 05:49 AM

I posted a response to all of your great suggestions the other day, but the website (or my computer) froze, and the post was lost! SO, here I go again, in more condensed form...

I think ultimately, I will go back to the gym (have not been there since last weekend), but for now, I need to just do something else. When I do, having an exercise partner would be great, but I hear it may be hard to find one. We'll see.

A few days ago, I joined a cycling club. I have a bike, and would really enjoy going out with a group and exploring the great outdoors. Fun and exercise at the same time. Too bad I found out (AFTER) I joined that most of the outings are 50 +/- miles from my house! So, I won't be doing that terribly often, but even if I have to drive a little bit, I think would be worth it for the experience. I will have to find places nearby where I can go out exploring on my bike alone (my kids are either too young or wouldn't share the same level of interest as myself. And my husband?...he's about as anti-exercise as they come).

What also piqued my interest was the bodybuilding idea. I always equated barbells with men!...still do. BUT I do want to check out that bodybuilding.com website and see what is there. As long as I don't start looking man-ly (the women bodybuilders I have seen on magazine covers always do!), this might be something I can actually see myself doing. I never would have thought re: this, so a definite
'thank you' for this suggestion.

A few days ago, I found my Slim in 6 DVDs from about 2 years ago. Back then, I worked out to them religiously, until the inevitable boredom set in. I have done several of the workouts this week. These certainly are convenient as it doesn't matter what the weather is outside, and I don't have to go anywhere to workout. If I throw these in the mix with the cycling and maybe bodybuilding-something or other, this may be my new routine. I am very excited!

Thank you to all who took the time to throw a suggestion my way. I was truly in a funk, and scared to death of falling off the wagon, earlier this week. I feel motivated again in a big way!! :D

rpmcduff 07-16-2012 04:45 AM

Glad to hear the suggestions were helpful. Sounds like you have regained some of your motivation and determination. Keep us posted on your progress.