Notices

I've got a million excuses

Old 06-19-2012, 05:06 PM
FitDay Member

Default I've got a million excuses

Honestly, I really enjoy exercising. I feel great after I do it and I'm naturally pretty athletic. But I have a million reasons to never get to the gym, it seems.

I guess I want everything to line up perfectly and then I will go to the gym. (But how many times does your day go perfectly?)

I used to live in the city and really enjoyed running on the waterfront. Now I'm out in the suburbs and just don't feel as comfortable or happy running on back streets, so I don't really run. And there is never the perfect time to go to the gym. I'm not really a morning person, but if I leave it to later in the day something always gets in the way.

I think at a certain level, I don't feel like I deserve to look or feel good.

How can I get past these road blocks? Once I get in good shape I usually keep it up, but being a bit out of shape, I'm feeling so discouraged right now.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:37 PM
FitDay Member

I find that setting some fitness goals always helps me when I get in a rut. Right now, it's run 13.1 miles by October - the month of my first half marathon. Lifting-wise, it's breaking 300 lbs in the deadlift by December. If I didn't have these personal goals, I'd probably never go to gym regardless of knowing how good it is for me and knowing that I should go.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:04 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hi mintchip,
You are right there is never a perfect day where all the stars align and you suddenly say "hey, let's go to the gym!"

You have to set a goal, like Nik says and then make the time - you rarely find the time... if you know what I mean. Even in the 'burbs you should be able to find an interesting stretch of road or trail to run. Just keep looking. Maybe that's Goal #1: Find a good street/trail/park. Then Goal #2: Get up one morning (I know you aren't a morning person, but personally if I don't get it done in the morning it just won't get done) and go.

It is usually just getting over that first hump (energy of activation in physics & chemistry) and then the rest of the pieces will fall in.

And BTW the mean Super Moderator says "SNAP OUT OF IT!"
Old 06-21-2012, 01:39 AM
FitDay Member

I find getting out the door is 90% of the battle. Once I am out the door I will walk, lol. If I can get past the excuses after awhile my brain tell be I need to do it......

Good luck, You can do it!!
Old 06-21-2012, 02:13 AM
FitDay Member

I'm training for my first marathon (only 17 days away!! )...anyway, here is what my training class told us when we aren't feeling motivated.

If you need to get your exercise completed in the morning, make your workout outfit the first thing you put on. Don't get dressed in different clothes or stay in pjs. Lay your workout gear out the night before and put it on as soon as you get out of bed...even if you are working out a few hours later. Then keep telling yourself, "well, I'm already dressed for it."

Try tricking your brain and lie to yourself. If you plan on running outside your house, tell yourself, "I'm just going to step outside and check the weather." Then, "I'm going to walk to the end of the block and see how my neighbor's flowers are growing." Then, "I might as well jog a little while I'm out here. What a great day." and so on....until you are running and your endorphins kick in. You can use the same idea for getting yourself to the gym. "I'm just going to go for a drive." "I need to pick up some more bananas." "Oh look, the gym, maybe I should stop in and see if that cute guy is in there." "I might as well walk around a little." "Hey, I like this machine...and nobody is using it. I am going to try it out for a minute.".....and so on. It sounds a little silly, but once you get started it sort of works. Just think in baby steps and tell yourself that you are actually doing something else.

What helps for me (since I am a little OCD ), is writing "go for a run" on my to-do list. I HAVE to cross everything off the list so it usually gets done.

Hope some of this helps!