Am I Over-Exercising? >

Am I Over-Exercising?

Community
Notices

Am I Over-Exercising?

Old 06-13-2012, 04:08 AM
FitDay Member

Default Am I Over-Exercising?

I heard exercise can actually cause people to stop losing weight or even gain weight. I started exercising about 5 years ago, and in the last few years increased it as I got in better shape.

This is what I do typically:

Jogging: 2 times a week , 35-60 minutes
Swimming: 3x a week 30 minutes
Bike Riding: 3x a week 60 minutes
Walkiing: Every day 30 minutes

That is the cardio. Aside from that, I do weight lifting about 3 times a week for 30 minutes. I am having trouble losing weight. I keep staying the same weight. My calories are at around 2400 calories. Should I drop calories and also cut back on exercise as well? Exercise doesn't make me hungry, but I wonder if its doing something.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:48 AM
FitDay Member

Your exercise actually looks pretty good. Maybe your calories are too high?

Also, this is a general statement I'm putting out there, but I would encourage people to stop measuring weight lifting by time. Running for 30 minutes means running for 30 minutes. For lifting you could be doing anything for that 30 minutes. Report lifting as types of exercises, number of sets/reps, any rest you took, etc. It's a teeny bit more work but gives you a more meaningful measure of your workout.

That said, VAS, what types of lifting exercises are you doing? I'd surmise that for fat loss you need to get your diet dialed in first, but proper lifting will help you optimize that fat loss, since it looks like you already have your cardio nailed.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:03 AM
FitDay Member

Wondering what your stats are, especially the percentage of body fat. How often do you have a recovery day?