Notices

Need Suggestions

Old 01-03-2012, 08:15 AM
FitDay Member

Default Need Suggestions

I'm 68 years old, very obese and confined to a wheelchair. I can walk some but it's very painful for me. I'm unsteady on my feet. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what kind of exercises I can do or where I can find information concerning this matter? Thank you
Old 01-03-2012, 10:05 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by shaggyraggs01
I'm 68 years old, very obese and confined to a wheelchair. I can walk some but it's very painful for me. I'm unsteady on my feet. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what kind of exercises I can do or where I can find information concerning this matter? Thank you
Hi shaggyraggs,
There a number of members who are very obese here on the forums, I would hope that some would chime in.

My thought is that you might look into a medically supervised program. Do have a Dr? or access to health care? Given your age and physical condition, it would be wise to consut with a professional. Any chance you could do that?
Old 01-03-2012, 10:52 AM
FitDay Member

I agree with Pam about checking with a dr. before beginning exercise. If you get the go-ahead, one option for cardiovascular training would be the arm ergometer (hand crank). It's like bicycling with your arms instead of your legs. You would need to build some arm strength to work out for an extended period of time, but strength training in a wheel chair with bands works. If you type wheelchair resistance training in your search engine, you'll get lots of ideas. Good luck to you as you improve your health
Old 01-03-2012, 03:54 PM
FitDay Member

Thank you so much for replying to my post. I'll be seeing my Dr. Friday and I will discuuss with him my desire to exercise.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:57 PM
FitDay Member

Thank you as well for replying to my question. I know I've got to get this body moving the best way I can. I'll discuss my exercise options with my Dr. when I see him Friday.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:06 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by shaggyraggs01
Thank you as well for replying to my question. I know I've got to get this body moving the best way I can. I'll discuss my exercise options with my Dr. when I see him Friday.
Wonderful,
Let us know what he says and how we can help. I am so glad you have decided to take this step
Old 01-04-2012, 05:00 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Built
I agree with Pam about checking with a dr. before beginning exercise. If you get the go-ahead, one option for cardiovascular training would be the arm ergometer (hand crank). It's like bicycling with your arms instead of your legs. You would need to build some arm strength to work out for an extended period of time, but strength training in a wheel chair with bands works. If you type wheelchair resistance training in your search engine, you'll get lots of ideas. Good luck to you as you improve your health
The ergometers I've seen can also be used with your feet--you place the thing on the ground and turn the pedals like a bike. If yours won't work that way, maybe you can use a recumbent exercise-bike.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:17 PM
FitDay Member

how GREAT that you are going to start exercising!!

I also agree that checking with your doctor is a good step.

I have seen frequent suggestions for stretching/yoga for seated individuals, and also boxing/punching for cardio for people with lower body injuries. Perhaps those are thoughts to get you started?
Old 01-05-2012, 06:32 AM
FitDay Member

There is a tv show on our public PBS channel called Sit and Be Fit. I think that may be something to look into.

I am so happy for you that you have decided to make the change. I hope your doctor encourages you when you see them.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:36 PM
FitDay Member

Default Re

Considering your age i dont think you have to do any regular kind of exercise if you want to then consult a physiotherapist he will suggest you regarding your health.

Last edited by RunbikeSki; 05-26-2012 at 03:10 AM. Reason: delete link in siggy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.