Notices

Anyone losing weight from just walking?

Old 03-26-2010, 08:34 AM
FitDay Member

Wink Anyone losing weight from just walking?

For years I was a huge gym rat, but quit last year after growing bored with my routine. Now, I can't afford a new gym membership even if I wanted to

All I do for exercise now is walking outside. Most places are within a mile from home, so I walk to the store, to the bank, to the library...you get the idea. I feel more accomplished afterward knowing I completed an errand or two while exercising.

However, I'm well aware it's not an impressive calorie burner, unlike the elliptical machine I was addicted to at the gym. It's not even as good as the treadmill because you can't control your incline or "force" yourself to keep a certain pace.

So, I'm really torn on whether this is enough exercise or not. I'm wondering if anyone else is using walking as their sole form of exercise. What has your experience been?
Old 03-26-2010, 09:01 AM
FitDay Member

Hi! I walk almost everynight for anywhere from 25 min - 60 mins. I do not go a very fast speed - but I keep moving. I started at the end of Feb. '10 - and I have lost 22 pounds. I also changed my diet completely. I also should note that I was not exercising AT ALL before then. So I am starting slow. This past week I started adding sit-up and push-ups and tryin to do some extra stretching and such. Hope this was a little helpful.

Diana
Old 03-26-2010, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

it took me 42 days to drop 20 pounds by eating better and walking. I started taking the stairs at work as well.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:25 AM
FitDay Member

Talking Walking only works.

I am an elite athlete and use walking to lose the 10 lbs I gain over the winter to get ready to race in the summer. It works for me each spring. It's not tiring like running and it does work!
Old 03-26-2010, 11:45 AM
FitDay Member

In my life the people that I have known that were in the best shape were all walkers, rain or shine, snow or sleet, dark of night, they all walked every day. And for the most part none of them ever went to the gym or played sports. So yes I think you can lose weight and get in great shape just by walking.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:57 AM
FitDay Member

Everything I have ever read says that the calorie burn from walking is the same as running.

If you need an incline then find a hill to walk up and down.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by skypilot77
Everything I have ever read says that the calorie burn from walking is the same as running.

If you need an incline then find a hill to walk up and down.
this is true per distance, not time from what I've heard (ex. running a mile burns the same as walking a mile). I prefer walking b/c for me it's easier and I enjoy it so I don't mind the extra time it takes compared to running.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:54 PM
FitDay Member

I didnt think walking would help you lose weight like you all say it does. I might have to add it to my workout reggie.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:13 AM
FitDay Member

Hi guys. I think this link is very helpful for all of you wondering about walking and running. I found it very informative.
How Many Calories Are You Really Burning? | From Runner's World

Yes you can lose weight by walking. Running scorches MORE calories, and to do the same amount you just have to walk alot longer and do it more often.
I have heard all the..."running only builds muscle, walking burns fat" and "walking burns the same amount of calories as running" stuff...but I don't believe it is true. Whichever one takes more breath and energy out of you is the one that burns more calories, which is running...your body must work harder. But walking you can accomplish the same thing as long as it is constant and done for a longer time.

Strength training will also help (I am trying to get in the habit of doing this..and of course, I'm failing quite hard. The last time I even bothered was a couple weeks ago hehe)I don't have a gym membership...and I can't afford it either. If you just want to walk, that's totally cool. Riding a bike is good. Before humans had cars, we walked everywhere or rode on horses and stuff, and the humans before us were really fit because they didn't have what we had. So walking is good. That's why we have legs duh
Old 03-27-2010, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

That was a really interesting article, DeathArrow. Thanks for the link.

I agree that whatever burns the most calories will burn the fat faster. Some say the lower elevated heart rate is better for fat burn and this may be true for them, but the articles I've read and what seems to work for me is to have the heart rate between 80-85% of max for the greatest calorie burn.

But the bottom line is that whatever gets you moving is good, good, good. Walk, run, bike, jump, lift...just move. Good luck everyone!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.