Notices

What burns the most?

Old 03-15-2010, 10:05 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by djblankenship
Originally Posted by almeeker
sex burns like 900-1000 calories per hour, and well it's lots of fun...
ok so that covers about 200 calories for me lol:d
lol
Old 03-15-2010, 10:42 AM
FitDay Member

XC skiing.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:15 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Built
Huggie: Sorry you're hitting a rough patch right now with your health but glad you're starting to take charge of your health. If your MD has cleared you for exercise, there are lots of options: DVDs (start with beginners and work your way up), some community rec centers have good rates on classes if you're the social type, walking (which you already said you don't like but it is free), save up for a treadmill, stationery bike, or elliptical or look into something affordable on Craigslist. If you can find a friend that is looking for a workout partner, that can help you both stay accountable. Cardio combined with good nutrition can help lower bp significantly, so I hope you keep trying new things 'till you find a good fit. Good luck!
I like walking just not that "speed walking" in other words, just regular walking. But I am going to try some of those tips you all gave out...TY!

I am going to try that dancing bit, but w/the curtains closed b/c no one wants to see this one dancing! lol! Oh, to dance like that Beyonce and no risk of hurting myself in the process and lose weight!

Last edited by HuggieGirl; 03-15-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:06 AM
FitDay Member

[QUOTE=DJBlankenship;5929]
Sex burns like 900-1000 calories per hour, and well it's lots of fun...
QUOTE]

ok so that covers about 200 calories for me lol
Yes, well that's one of the problems in using sex as a fitness strategy. Also that calorie burn rate is just for intercourse, foreplay is less of a workout, unless of course it involves some pole dancing...

Tell you what, I love to workout with music, it just gets me going and keeps me moving. It doesn't matter what it is, elliptical, walking, dancing, step aerobics, housekeeping, yard work - whatever, it's a lot more fun (and seems less like work) when I have my tunes on. You just have to get past what people will think if they see you shaking your booty. At the very least I'm getting closer to having a booty that should be shaken. Booty-licious here I come.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:09 PM
FitDay Member

[QUOTE=DJBlankenship;5929]
Sex burns like 900-1000 calories per hour, and well it's lots of fun...
QUOTE]

ok so that covers about 200 calories for me lol

hahah
Old 03-16-2010, 01:11 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by HuggieGirl
I like walking just not that "speed walking" in other words, just regular walking. But I am going to try some of those tips you all gave out...TY!

I am going to try that dancing bit, but w/the curtains closed b/c no one wants to see this one dancing! lol! Oh, to dance like that Beyonce and no risk of hurting myself in the process and lose weight!
Dancing is awesome, and jump rope and jumping jacks. they're what i do to get my heartrate going.

if you go walking, unless you're walking fast enough that you're working up a sweat, you're not really going to burn any fat.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:35 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by rebeccajoyce
if you go walking, unless you're walking fast enough that you're working up a sweat, you're not really going to burn any fat.
I'm no expert on this one, but I disagree. The people I've known in my life who were in the best shape, you know the ones that seem to be "naturally thin" and completely toned all over, every last one of them walked every day, rain or shine, sleet or snow. And for the most part none of them walked all that far, 2-3 miles tops. So I'm thinking it must burn fat, it certainly tones everything up. I knew a women once that lost 300 pounds, she walked 7 miles every morning. In fact she still walks everyday, only now she's a tiny little thing covered in well defined muscle.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:53 AM
FitDay Member

If you eat less than you burn, you will lose fat. If you aren't active or eat WAY less than you burn, you will also lose muscle. I used to be "naturally thin", then I had kids. Looking back, before the kids, I used to walk miles a day. 2 miles one way from the parking lot to classes in college, a half hour here and there between classes, after dinner, bored and nothing on TV. I used to think I really hadn't changed my activity level, I've never been able to run or been interested in sports. But the kids won't walk for miles and miles or spend an afternoon just wandering through the neighborhood. I never broke a sweat, just did it b/c I liked it. Hindsight being 20/20, I think now it's the (absence of) walking responsible for this slow creeping weight gain.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:05 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Lizzycritter
If you aren't active or eat WAY less than you burn, you will also lose muscle.

I wish I had known this when I was 13. I had stopped getting taller, but continued outgrowing my clothes, until I realized I had gotten a bit chunky. I knew that 3500 calories equals a pound of fat, and that I probably burned about 1600 calories just staying alive. So I put myself on a strict 600 calorie/day diet. Just as my calculations predicted, I lost two pounds a week. I went from 130 pounds to 102, and from a size 11/12 to a size 7/8.

The problem is that I was utterly exhausted all the time. I eventually gained a lot of it back (and then more after having kids), and just assumed that I was naturally a weak person with no butt. I see now that what happened is that I lost a lot of muscle. That explains why, as a young adult, I couldn't do a lot of physical things that my peers seemed to do easily.

Now, I'm losing weight at the same rate as back then by eating about 1400 calories a day and doing cardio and weight-bearing exercise. I'm getting stronger, my butt is starting to get an actual shape, for the first time in my life, and I have plenty of energy.

If I could go back in time, knowing what I know now, I would have taken a totally different approach to getting a better body as a teen.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:21 AM
FitDay Member

Elderwanda: Glad to read you're making good progress by eating enough to build and/or maintain muscle (not starving yourself) and exercising. I think a lot of us women grew up believing that super strict dieting and cardio was the only way to lose weight. Little did we know we were setting ourselves up to lower our metabolisms and making maintenance impossible. Once I started lifting weights, it was amazing how my body changed for the better. After 16 years of weight training and moderate cardio, I've never looked back! I do believe the combination (and good eating habits) is as close to the fountain of youth we will ever find. Wishing you continued success!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.