Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FITNESS > Exercise
Questions/Suggestions? :) Please? >

Questions/Suggestions? :) Please?

Community
Notices

Questions/Suggestions? :) Please?

Old 03-10-2010, 08:03 PM
FitDay Member

Default Questions/Suggestions? :) Please?

I have my cardio ALL figured out, even some strength training (if you count yoga) however, the rest of my workout...is a mystery...for my cardio I'm doing a run-walk routine and I'm happy to say that I like yoga so I will be doing that. My question is this-is yoga cardio, strength training, or something completely different? Also, any suggestions on what else I can add to my work-out? Preferably something that isn't going to stress me out or take up too much of my time...HELP! lol. I'm looking forward to changing my habits and losing weight though...so help is much-ly appreciated!
Old 03-10-2010, 09:38 PM
FitDay Member

Veglette: Your walk/run program is considered your cardio program in that it will improve your cardiovascular system by forcing your heart to pump more blood at submaximal effort. Yoga can be considered strength training if you are just beginning an exercise program and it is an excellent way to improve flexibility and it does tone muscles. But as you get stronger your body will adapt and you will eventually need to weight train to build more lean muscle mass. Good for you for taking control of your fitness!
Old 03-11-2010, 07:09 AM
FitDay Member

Default Hmm...

Ok great! Thanks! Now I just need to figure out what to fill the strength training void with though! :P What do you do to fill yours?
Old 03-11-2010, 10:49 AM
FitDay Member

I fell in love with weight training at the gym years ago. If you don't belong to a gym, if you buy some light weight dumbbells (3#, 5#, 8# 10#) you can get a good workout at home. You can get yourself a dvd on weight training. There are many. One good one I know of is the 10 minute solution series with the stability ball. I got mine at Walmart. It has 10 minutes of core, 10 minutes of cardio, 10 minutes strength training and 10 minutes flexibility training. You will need to purchase a stability ball ($25-again, Walmart). You can pick and choose which workout you want or do all of them.