FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Exercise (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/)
-   -   Max muscle in minimum time? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/6102-max-muscle-minimum-time.html)

mecompco 12-31-2011 03:44 AM

Max muscle in minimum time?

OK, I've talked about it ad nasuem, but the goal for 2012 (along with taking off the final 15-20 lbs.) is to build some muscle and increase my metabolic burn to help the odds for long-term weight maintenance.

I am going to clean out my home office (used for junk storage for the past few years) and move my weight bench back upstairs.

I figure if I rearrange my morning activities (only one cup of Joe instead of three and less TV/Internet) that I can find a good 30 minutes to exercise before I need to make breakfast, do dishes, pack lunches and get out of Dodge.

So, I'm thinking I should lift heavy and fewer reps. One problem is that I'll be doing it alone, so I can't really go to total failure and/or negative so I know that will be a detriment to fast results.

My question is, given 30 minutes a day, five days a week, what's the best plan? I have a nice heavy duty incline/decline bench, 300 lbs of cast iron weights, leg lift, lat pulldown, curl bar and a good selection of dumbbells.

My leg muscles are still pretty good, my arms and chest, practically non-existant--skin and bone, mostly. Should I focus on the problem areas, or the good areas, or both. I know one needs to rest muscles between workouts.

Also, I need a way to quantify my progress. Weight loss is easy to track, but muscle gain, perhaps not so much. I'm hoping my new body fat monitor will help.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Regards,
Michael

handcycle2005 12-31-2011 04:54 AM

Start with your problem areas while you're still fresh. Remember to work torso muscles first, shoulders second, arms last.

Try pre-exhaustion sets.

Advanced techniques
Read this whole site, loads of good info. ExRx

You can also go to failure with dumbbells.

Be aware some people have a much harder time gaining muscle.

mecompco 12-31-2011 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by handcycle2005 (Post 66489)
Start with your problem areas while you're still fresh. Remember to work torso muscles first, shoulders second, arms last.

Try pre-exhaustion sets.

Advanced techniques
Read this whole site, loads of good info. ExRx

You can also go to failure with dumbbells.

Be aware some people have a much harder time gaining muscle.

Good info, thanks! I particulary like the idea of: Low Volume Progressive Intensity Training

Maximum intensity for one set of each exercise four times a week seems like a good idea. One could do cardio on the days in between, I would think. Would 30 minutes be enough to work upper and lower body? Would one day of rest in between be enough?

I like the idea of dumbbells going to failure--I have 1 through 25 pounds so that shouldn't be a problem. If I got into trouble with the barbells I suppose the wife might wake up and save me if I screamed loud enough! :eek:

Regards,
Michael

01gt4.6 12-31-2011 10:52 AM

Even though your legs are good, working legs is a must IMO. Being the largest muscle group it will help you produce testosterone which will help build other parts. I didn't get a chance to look at the links that handcycle posted. I'd recommend confound lifts with timed rest. I'm doing Huge In A Hurry, I've heard that Starting Strength is also good.

mecompco 12-31-2011 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 66524)
Even though your legs are good, working legs is a must IMO. Being the largest muscle group it will help you produce testosterone which will help build other parts. I didn't get a chance to look at the links that handcycle posted. I'd recommend confound lifts with timed rest. I'm doing Huge In A Hurry, I've heard that Starting Strength is also good.

Mike, Huge in a Hurry looks like just what I need! 25 to 30 minutes I can commit to. I don't mind a little pain, but it needs to be convenient and fit into my lifestyle. I sure do like the idea of 20 lbs. of muscle in 16 weeks!

I think I'll go ahead and get a copy of the book while I'm getting my "gym" cleaned out. Thanks!

Regards,
Michael

FutureizNow 12-31-2011 12:01 PM

It's really good that you're looking at doing weight training. It's healthy for a variety of reasons.

You should in any event, be able to add a few pounds of muscle and lose
the weight you want, over the next year. It sounds like you're thinking
about more than a few though....

The max amount of pure muscle that can be put on by an untrained individual
is about 2 pounds per month for men (about half that for women). As you become further trained and closer to your muscluar genetic potential,
it the amount of muscle you can put on decreases. I don't think this
is your immediate concern though :). Nor mine.

In any event, the problem is that you also want to lose weight, 20
pounds of fat or so. When you are trying to work those things at the same
time, it is harder. You are telling your body to shrink and grow other day perhaps. It's a mixed message to some degree.

Unfortunately the body doesn't convert fat into muscle, though it can
use fat to recovery energy. You need to eat more protein and calories
to gain mass.

As well, when you gain back weight, it tends to go back on at your current bf%. If you added a pound of weight, about 20% (if you were around 20% bf) would get put back on as fat, creating more fat for you to lose. (Estimating another 20% would go to glycogen stores, 30% water balance and 30% perhaps towards protein balance requirements). It's a 1 step back and two steps forward 1scenario.

What I'm saying is to have realistic expectations. Consider making fat loss the priority, and have a goal of being steady with the weights. Focus on strength gains rather than muscle size. As you lose fat you will look more muscular in any event :) After you have taken off the 20 pounds of fat, then consider getting
serious about adding more muscle.

01gt4.6 12-31-2011 12:33 PM

Unfortunately 20 pounds of muscle in 16 weeks is impossible (naturally). I have a "supplement" that'll do that but I'm too damn scared to try it, now I'm too scared to sell it, so I'm stuck with it. $80 for 1 bottle, down the toilet.

handcycle2005 12-31-2011 12:41 PM

[QUOTE=01gt4.6;66532 $80 for 1 bottle, down the toilet.[/QUOTE]

Excellent place for it.

Losing 80 bucks is far better than the other possible outcome.

01gt4.6 12-31-2011 01:12 PM

Very true.

FutureizNow 12-31-2011 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 66532)
Unfortunately 20 pounds of muscle in 16 weeks is impossible (naturally). I have a "supplement" that'll do that but I'm too damn scared to try it, now I'm too scared to sell it, so I'm stuck with it. $80 for 1 bottle, down the toilet.

Was that the anaconda potion?

16 weeks no, but in a year feasible, under ideal conditions, new trainee
in decent condition, and optimum nutrition.

This is an excellent excellent article that emphaises what is important:
The WeighTrainer - The Rules of Productive Weight Training for The Drug-Free Trainee

Also a good read:
What’s My Genetic Muscular Potential? | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

01gt4.6 12-31-2011 03:34 PM

Probably more like King Kong potion, in a pill or capsule. I got it on Amazon and didn't think much of it, until I did a little research (which I should have done BEFORE ordering). Once I realized what it was, I didn't think they'd actually ship it. I thought they'd send me an email saying they couldn't sell it and would give me a refund. Nope, they shipped it. It's amazing what some websites will sell. :eek:

handcycle2005 12-31-2011 03:38 PM

A lot of what Amazon sells is through the seller's "storefront" with Amazon merely processing the order/payment with the seller shipping direct from their building. Amazon may not know what is actually being sold.

01gt4.6 12-31-2011 03:52 PM

Yeah I didn't even think of that. That makes sense.

mecompco 01-01-2012 02:15 AM

Thanks for all the input! I've ordered a copy of Huge in a Hurry and read through some of the articles. Three sessions a week sounds like something I can commit to. How intense I can go at 3:30 AM, we'll have to see.

Really, if I can burn some calories and build a little muscle I'll be happy.

I'm going to track my body fat and see if I can see a downward trend, regardless of what the scale says. I'm glad that 22 to 24% body fat isn't outrageous--gives me hope!

Regards,
Michael