FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Exercise (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/)
-   -   Exercise Machines that work??? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/5779-exercise-machines-work.html)

Wanda51 11-21-2011 05:48 AM

Exercise Machines that work???

I am using the Walk Away the Pounds DVD and it helps but I was looking at something called "Ab Doer." It looks like fun and it's something I can do while watching TV. However, it does not hold my weight. Does anyone know of any workout machines that might help with someone over the 300 pound limit they put on these things? Thanks!!!

handcycle2005 11-21-2011 08:36 AM

Save your money, you don't need a machine.

Check these exercises.
Included are small clips showing proper form.

VitoVino 11-21-2011 11:46 AM

That's a terrific link there, HC. I'm going to bookmark it.

Wanda51 11-24-2011 04:51 AM

Thanks for the thought, however I have arthritis in my back and one of the main reasons I'm trying to get my weight down. So sit ups and crunches are not an option for me. The Walk away the Pounds works great because it's not aggravating my back at all. That is why I was wondering about the machines.

handcycle2005 11-24-2011 05:37 AM

Cheap, infomercial grade machines do more harm than good. You're still doing crunches or situps so why spend the money?

Start with planks/side planks/crunches. Read through the link I gave for proper exercise performance.

TrainersRoom 12-27-2011 11:37 PM

Treadmill is very popular exercise equipment. Whether it is a home gym or commercial gym, treadmill is found everywhere today. Treadmills provide for an excellent exercise option in undesirable weather conditions. A treadmill may be the best piece of equipment in the gym when it comes to weight loss. By running on one of these machines, you can burn as much as 700 calories per hour at medium level of intensity. Thanks.

link removed

1fitchallenge 12-28-2011 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by handcycle2005 (Post 63394)
You're still doing crunches or situps so why spend the money?

handcycle, she just wrote that she cant perform these exercises because of her back issue :p

Wanda - Im definitely not an expert in back issue. If you know that some machines will help you get to where you wanna be and you can spend your money for them- thats fine, buy them and do your thing.

However, I am also an oponent to machines and fancy equipment. Especially for someone who is just starting his journey in exercising - often people think that when they buy some equipment, it will keep their motivation for them- and mostly they end up not training and angry for them selves for spending money.
I know this also from my own experience :cool:

So, I dont know any machines that will match your needs, so I can only suggest search the net for some great exercises (maybe without machines) for strengthening your spine and core. Im thinking about exercises that developed a strong core through stability based exercises, where your spine is in neutral position and is not moving very much - this ab doer by the way looks not so good for the spine - it moves it all the time :confused:

wildbeanerz 12-28-2011 02:06 AM

Wanda...are you getting bored with the DVD you have? That won't get you anywhere because it will just become repetitive and you won't want to do it anymore. Honestly all of my beginning exercise was walking. No machines. No weights. Just eating right and walking about 1/2 mile a day to start and up to 2miles a day now plus my other exercises. As you lose the weight you can add in other stuff that will help keep you moving forward.

If you need more advice please let me know. I don't like to just blurt out too much info. :)