Notices

Help with exercise

Old 10-08-2011, 05:13 AM
FitDay Member

Unhappy Help with exercise

Okay I need some advice. I am 410 pounds and started FitDay a week ago. So far I am keeping to eating right with no problems. I eat 5-6 small meals a day and this way I'm never hungry and have a lot of things to choose from (even chocolate). However, I know I need to exercise but it's difficult. I use to be able to walk a lot but due to my weight it's very painful on my back. I can't get down on the floor to do things that way either. So anyway I can get some exercise to help me? Every night I sit on the edge of my bed and do leg lifts and I use a large can to do arm lifts. However, I was wondering what I can do for my stomach? Thank you.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:34 AM
FitDay Member

I know that walking is painful, but if you walked for a minute the first day and 2 minutes the second day you could probably work up to a longer workout in a few weeks or even a few months. There is a lady that posts on the motivational thread, when she started out she walked only 5 minutes of her walking DVD, now she's up to almost an hour at the Y. It takes time to build back up again.

There is a neighbor of mine who started walking last year sometime. He used a walker, dragged a tank of oxygen, and was probably one of the largest people I had ever seen. When I first started seeing him, I kept an eye on him because he looked like he might collapse. Now he's walking without the oxygen at all and he's using just a cane, and I would guess that he's down by 100lbs or more. It took several months to get to that point, but slow and steady wins the race.

For core strength (stomach muscles) there are several exercises you can do against the wall. Just think about push-up form, only try it standing up with your hands on the wall. The weight of your own body can provide quite a bit of resistance no matter what size you're at. As you get stronger try putting your feet further and further back from the wall until you can do them on the floor. You might also try crunches and obliques (which are the same as crunches only bring your elbow across the body to the opposite knee).

I would also recommend that you get some weights, just little ones in the beginning, and then as you get stronger up the amount. I have several now, but started off with a pair of 3lbs and a pair of 5lbs. The more muscle you carry, the more efficient your body is at burning calories.

Last edited by almeeker; 10-08-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:19 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you so much. I will do that. I think I'll start by walking around the perimeter of my yard for 5 minutes. That way I'll be close to home and then can just come inside and sit down. I'll also do the wall push ups. That way my body will start getting stronger and getting use to me moving around. AGain thank you.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:00 PM
FitDay Member

Hello it is a real pleasure to meet you all hope that we can bring something special in our life through this forum.
if you cant do exercie then try to cut down calories intakes it will help you alot and take protein shakes they will burn your fats...............best of luck
nice to be here... Glad to meet you all
Old 10-28-2011, 04:47 PM
FitDay Member

Default exercise

People who exercise burn more calories and look more toned than those who don't. In fact, exercise is one of the most important parts of keeping your body at a healthy weight.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:01 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Hi Wanda

Just checking it to see how you are doing. I hope you have been able to do a little walking and some weight training.

Would love to read about your progress (or give you a little nudge if it is needed )