Notices

i just joined the gym:)

Old 09-01-2011, 02:29 AM
FitDay Member

Smile i just joined the gym:)

i just started the gym yesterday and i was amazed at how out of shape i really am! my goal was to do 30 min. of cardio and 15 mins of strength training. well, i did 6 mins. on the ellipitical(oh my thighs were burning),10 min. on the treadmill at 3mph and 7 incline, and i rode the stationary bike for 5 min. on level 1 at 7mph.the strength training was my upper body i did 3 sets light weight with 12reps.Today i did better i did 12mins on the ellipitical level 1 at 4.4mph and 12 mins on bike and 5 min on treadmill at 3mph 7 incline. i did strength training on legs light weight 3 sets and 12 reps. my strenghth training is light, but not too light by the end of my 3 set it's hard to finish. could some1 tell me if i am on the right track. i am also doing ther new atkins diet as it really helps me control my diabetes.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:53 AM
FitDay Member

You're on the right track, be aware of two things: part of the fast early improvements are partly gains in efficiency, not fitness. The rate will slow down, it's normal, don't panic and up the effort to compensate.
Your muscles gain strength faster than the tendons and ligaments do, be careful.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:16 AM
FitDay Member

Most gyms have people there to help you set up a routine that is right for you - these people can vary in quality (and in some cases, I've experienced that all they reallly wanted to do is sell you their personal training services), but, take advantage of them, get your free sessions, take notes, ask questions - and after you've been at it for a while, ask someone to watch you for your form.

I caution you to be careful who you take advice from, some fit people at the gym may be happy to show you something, but there is no reason to assume that they know much about you or your needs!

Good luck, joining a gym was life changing for me (in 2004), in a very good way!

Abby
Old 09-02-2011, 05:26 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hi krystiana1,
Congrats on taking that huge step to building a new you. If you stick with it the results will amaze you!

I did have one other thought to add to the other excellent comments. Be careful you don't get so excited in the early days of going to the gym that you burn out later and don't stick with it.

I am definitely talking from experience here. I have joined gyms with the best of intentions several times over the years only to fade away with time. In truth, as I eventually discovered, I am not much of a gym-rat, (if it isn't outdoors, it isn't exercise) but I love lifting. So I found a compromise with CrossFit. And there is no doubt that it has change my life... just as Abby stated.