TEAM FITDAY: Running and walking club >

TEAM FITDAY: Running and walking club

Community
Notices
Like Tree1Likes

TEAM FITDAY: Running and walking club

Old 09-29-2011, 06:46 AM
FitDay Member

HC, I've been jogging easy, got a new pair of Brooks Adrenaline's. I still have very slight soreness in one tiny area on both achilles, but they are healing nicely. Been getting better every week.

I read that it could take months for them to totally heal up, and running is OK so long as I don't overdo it. I think I'm down to the "stage 1" phase with the injury.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:33 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Angry bummer again SW

So sorry!

Get well soon.
I have an old friend who refuses to register for races anytime but the day of the race. For me that would give me an easy out (oh well, I've got nothing to lose if I don't run it) but somehow for him it was incentive... go figure
Old 10-02-2011, 05:37 AM
FitDay Member

I did a 10K race thins morning. Wow, what a roller coaster emotional had run through my body. I signed up for this race 8 weeks ago. 4 weeks into training, I got plantar fasciitis. I have run or do any kind of cardio in the last 4 weeks. But because I signed up with a friend and I had told people that I would do this. So I have to.
I actually was scared but I kept telling myself in the worst case, I would walk. Just finish it.
And I did. I finished 10k in 1:10. I was surprised. I did it!!!! yay!!!!
Mai
Old 10-02-2011, 01:29 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Default OUTSTANDING Mai

Very well done 1:10 is a very respectable time, especially given the injury.

You know, everyone is scared during their first race - it is part of the package - but at least you had a good reason to be scared .
How did your friend do? So what do you think??? Gonna do it again?

I finally got around to registering for the Mission Inn race on Nov 13.

The race is a 10K, but my training plan has me doing a 10 miler about a month before. Today turned out to be the day (for a variety of reasons) and the 10 miles went really well. The course we ran today was pretty flat, and I have started running with a new partner (who is also my yoga instructor of several years) who loves to run and is probably a much stronger runner, but (lucky for me) coming back from some chronic injuries. Because of him I am pretty sure the pace was a little harder (9:40ish) but we took a couple of walk breaks to look at ducks, a newly remodled house, and a few other things along the way. It was a great run, but I have say that I didn't accomplish much else today .

Keep on keep'n on everyone .
Old 10-03-2011, 01:12 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks Pam, I have to say I like it. The spirit of the race is nothing I have experienced. I will do it again, maybe sometimes in Dec. I need more time to rest my heel.

My friend, she did well. I told her my tale so we did not run side by side. But she came out and run with me the last 200 yards. And I really need that to cross the finish line.

I think if I like to do races, I should train to run faster. Right? I am afraid that I can't go faster, or get injured. Injured suck. I don't want any of it.

Your training looks good. Do you try to set a PR or something?
mai
Old 10-03-2011, 02:47 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hi Mai,
I am glad you enjoyed the experience, it is a bit addicting.

Consistency is really the key to training. Not running as hard as you can every time. HC will confirm this I suspect...especially for us older runners.

Once you are feeling better, add about 10% more distance or 10% more "degrees of difficulty" to your runs, no more. And if you don't feel up to adding more from time to time, that's OK. For me the point is to just enjoy my runs, not beat myself up. If I recall, for you just getting a nice consistent 6 mile run would be a great goal. Once you have the distance, then you can start adding the fancy training training stuff to get faster.

And yes, I am trying for a PR. ~9 min miles would be personal record for me.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:03 AM
FitDay Member

Hey All,

I've decided to run a half marathon on May 5th (7 months from now)

I use to run, I did the couch to 5k podcast a little over a year ago and that helped get me familiar to running. This past year I re-prioritized my fitness goals and worked on strength training rather than cardio.

I'm starting my training program today. I've combined a lot of advice and training schedules for 5k, 10k, and half-marathons.

As the weather gets colder and leaves/snow starts to fall I'll be doing most the running on a treadmill, eventually hitting the pavement around February.

My Goals:

2 Months from today I want to be able to run 3 (10minute or better) Miles without stopping

3 Months from today I want to be able to run 6 miles without stopping

5 Months from today I want to be able to run 12 miles without stopping

7 Months from today I want to finish a Half-Marathon

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Anton
Old 10-03-2011, 04:45 AM
FitDay Member

Great work Mai, thats an impressive run, and yes, doesn't the race spirit feel great!

UrbanMule, we'll be rooting for you - a half marathon is impressive to even contemplate!

Abby
Old 10-03-2011, 04:56 AM
FitDay Member

lastri, that's a very good time for the short time training and the injury. However, I would highly recommend you do no racing for at least 4-6 months while you rehab the heel and build your mileage to a level that will let you handle the stress without breaking down(which an injury is a sign of).
Restart with the Couch to 5K program. It will feel like a step backward but it provides the gradual buildup new runners need.
Don't worry about "running fast" or special training, your speed will improve as you fitness develops.
Before attemptimg high stress training, you really need to build a solid base to work from.

Urbanmule, same goes for you. Seven months to run a half marathon is doable but also the route to burnout, breakdown and injury. Even more so as you won't be running on pavement until just three months before.
Look at it this way: If you pour a concrete slab foundation, do you start building on it right away or do you wait for it to set completely?

Start the Couch to 5K again, run some 5Ks and build to a 10K by May. Look at doing your half in May 2013.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:31 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by handcycle2005
Urbanmule, same goes for you. Seven months to run a half marathon is doable but also the route to burnout, breakdown and injury. Even more so as you won't be running on pavement until just three months before.
Look at it this way: If you pour a concrete slab foundation, do you start building on it right away or do you wait for it to set completely?

Start the Couch to 5K again, run some 5Ks and build to a 10K by May. Look at doing your half in May 2013.
I'm going to keep running outside until the snow falls or it gets too cold, one of the gyms I can go to has a indoor track, would it be okay to use that as opposed to the treadmill?

I'm really motivated to accomplish this goal and know I can

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.