Notices
Like Tree1Likes

TEAM FITDAY: Running and walking club

Old 09-13-2011, 05:41 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
So SW, when are you going to step up to the big boy races???
Anyone can hold thier breath sprint for 3 miles. Let's see what a 10K does for ya.
LOL....I fell for that in May when I ran my first 10k- that's the race I injured my Achilles and couldn't run for 6 weeks

But seriously, I've been increasing my weekly mileage and have been thinking about entering a 10k in November, so we'll see. Till then, I've pre-paid for 2 more 5k's
Old 09-14-2011, 06:45 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Did someone mention this was addictive?

Originally Posted by dear_abby
So, I find myself looking at 5Ks - and a weekend which would be particularly nice is October 21... And, there is one almost in my backyard, for a cause I'd really like to support! I'll wait a bit to register, but cool!

I'm going to have to make a budget line item for entry fees! (I can move the funds from beer).

Abby
Hi Abby,
You have now discovered the racers' dirty little secret. Although we try very hard to keep it a secret so that others just think we are dedicated to fitness, the ugly truth is that we simply can't stop .

Great job on your race. It sounds like you planned it out, and carried it out perfectly. As you are now experiencing, after a great race you start thinking: hmmm, maybe I could go a little faster, maybe if I had hit that hill a little harder... next time I will go out a little faster (or slower), next time I won't get trapped behind that slow-poke, next time I'll move up in the starting pack, next time... next time...
Old 09-14-2011, 06:49 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Wed: "easy run"

SW, I thought about you this morning as I was finishing up my 6-miler. The last half mile is a perfectly angled downhill (not to steep). As I hit the top of the hill I decided to just push it out and run as hard (without a total sprint) as I could. I hit 7:20 min mile and I thought to myself: Wow SW does this for 3 whole miles, how awesome must that feel .
Old 09-14-2011, 09:48 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
SW, I thought about you this morning as I was finishing up my 6-miler. The last half mile is a perfectly angled downhill (not to steep). As I hit the top of the hill I decided to just push it out and run as hard (without a total sprint) as I could. I hit 7:20 min mile and I thought to myself: Wow SW does this for 3 whole miles, how awesome must that feel .
Nice.....I forced myself to sprint the last 3/4 mile of a 5.5 mile run yesterday, felt absolutely amazing.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:25 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Who's registered?

I know several of you have completed your races, but there were a couple more "planning" for a race. So have you picked a race and registered yet? If not... why not.

Fall is usually racing season, so what's your plan?

Me? The Mission Inn 10K Nov. 13.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:22 AM
FitDay Member

I do two runs during the week usually 6 milers and then I do a long run on Sunday. This weekend it will be 16 miles. I'm working my way up to a marathon. I've already done 18 once. Anyway, for my 6 milers I can usually do them at an average of 8:30 to 9 min miles. But for my long runs they hover at an average of 9:30 to 10 min miles. I wish I could do 7 min miles. I could qualify for Boston. I don't have any races planned until the Flying Pig Marathon next may. I hope to increase my speed by then.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:02 PM
FitDay Member

yauncin, some thoughts: While wanting to qualify for Boston is a terrific goal-too much too soon.
As you're wanting to race a marathon as opposed to just finishing, you will need more mileage. Add one day of running and two days of cross training. Take one day a week off for better recovery. You're on the right track with the long run, add a semi-long run (9-10 miles, work up to it) midweek and include 20-25 minutes at tempo pace during one of your six milers.

I reccomend you do some racing before your first marathon. 10-15Ks will give you some speed and efficiency and a 20K/half marathon or two will give you experience at maintaining a fairly high effort for a long period of time.

Sample week
Sun-long run (16-20)
Monday-off
Tuesday-cross train 1/2-3/4 hour
Wednesday-semi long (9-10)
Thurs-6 mile including tempo
Fri-cross train 1/2 -3/4 hour
Sat-6 miles (easy pace)
total=37-42 miles plus cross training
Do not try to jump up to this right away, build up to it over the next 2-3 months.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:08 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Great advice HC, I too will take them to heart... thanks .
Old 09-18-2011, 01:15 PM
FitDay Member

So I took off 7 days without exercise. All I can say is, my body was dead tired because I've been pushing it a bit too much and I really needed a rest. I was waiting until my body told me to go back to biking/running again. It happened on day 5. But then it rained for 2 days and was way too cold for my southern blood (low 60's).

So today I get out there and man, the legs felt real heavy and my breathing was labored. I think I performed better when I was exercising with tired, sore muscles. So I'm wondering what the heck? I'm guessing tomorrow will be better, but I'm kinda shocked that I felt that bad today. Nothing else changed; diet same, calorie intake, sleep, etc.

I really wish I could have started in 2 days ago; I think 7 days really screwed me up.

HC?
Old 09-18-2011, 01:36 PM
FitDay Member

Vito, it's possible you're not really ready or you took it too easy. Did you do any light activity at all?

When you overtrain, it's possible to recover while still doing a small amount of exercise, say jogging a mile or so instead of running four. Swimming or cycling , being non-weight bearing, also aids in recovering.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.