FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Exercise (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/)
-   -   Shin Splints & Obesity. (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/4137-shin-splints-obesity.html)

Kiltiky 04-26-2011 11:34 AM

Shin Splints & Obesity.

So, I've recently started a diet of sorts and decided to walk to town every day to start my exercise.

2.2 mile 1 way, 4.4 mile round trip with normally stopping at the supermarket to buy today's food. I keep only buying 1 days worth of food to force myself to walk to the shop ;).

My stats:

Weight 137KG(302 Pounds)
BMI: 49

My issue is what I believe to be Shin Splints. Such intense pain that is stopping me doing this exercise.

Solutions I've read up and plan to do tomorrow is: Buy new shoes - Query though:
I've worn big boots for years, should I buy some new boots or some trainers for walking flexibility? I love my boots, they fit my style. I'd hate to go out socially in trainers lol.

What other activities for a heavily obese guy would you suggest to reduce the intense pain caused by Shin Splints.

Thanks for your help.

mecompco 04-26-2011 12:18 PM

Welcome to FitDay and the forums!

I'm impressed with your walking--there's no way I could have walked that far back when I was over 300.

I walk all winter in heavy size 13 Rocky Bearclaw boots--very comfy and don't they give your thighs a workout! I think they actually have more cushion than some athletic shoes.

I've not had shin splints but in the past have had ankle and plantar facitius problems. I think a good pair of cross trainers might help--I like New Balance personally. The lighter weight sure does put less strain on your legs, which might help your issue.

Regards,
Michael

Kiltiky 04-26-2011 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by mecompco (Post 44798)
Welcome to FitDay and the forums!

I'm impressed with your walking--there's no way I could have walked that far back when I was over 300.

I walk all winter in heavy size 13 Rocky Bearclaw boots--very comfy and don't they give your thighs a workout! I think they actually have more cushion than some athletic shoes.

I've not had shin splints but in the past have had ankle and plantar facitius problems. I think a good pair of cross trainers might help--I like New Balance personally. The lighter weight sure does put less strain on your legs, which might help your issue.

Regards,
Michael

Yea, I must admit It's been a killer walking 4.4 mile with shin splints. I'm a small 302Pounds though, only 167cm (5ft 5 ish).

I will buy a nice 40-50 pair of decent boots tomorrow, nice army surplus market stall in town tomorrow ;). If they don't work I'll get a pair of trainers also, I need the boots for a music festival this summer anyway so nothing lost.

almeeker 04-26-2011 01:07 PM

You might also add a "warm up" and a "cool down" bit of stretching to your walks, I swear by it, for me it cuts the pain by half or better. I'm going to second that "new shoes" business, I never really gave much thought to my shoes until this past winter, I got fitted for a pair of running shoes and it has made a world of difference in how my body feels after a workout. So trainers might not be your "style", but I'm guessing that neither is stinking to high heaven with BenGay.

mlposten 04-26-2011 02:43 PM

I have suffered with shin splints also. definately good shoes or boots. Ones that worked for me are ones with gel and ankle support. So I tend to wear my paddock boots. (made for working around horses since that was my job.) Also i would take an ibuprophin before walking or work. Then ice them when i got home for about 15 minutes. But i would also talk to you doc about them if you haven't already.

Good luck and hopes this helps :)

Kiltiky 04-26-2011 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 44801)
You might also add a "warm up" and a "cool down" bit of stretching to your walks, I swear by it, for me it cuts the pain by half or better. I'm going to second that "new shoes" business, I never really gave much thought to my shoes until this past winter, I got fitted for a pair of running shoes and it has made a world of difference in how my body feels after a workout. So trainers might not be your "style", but I'm guessing that neither is stinking to high heaven with BenGay.

Any recomended system for warming up before a walk?

I've always been big but until the past year with shin splints I've been able to walk straight away without being in much pain. I think the shin splint type pain is what stopped me walking as much this past year and putting on 20pounds :(.

taubele 04-27-2011 12:09 AM

I used to suffer shin splints - not because of obesity, but because of tennis.

I'm going to third the "new shoes" and second the "gel inserts" - you can even try putting gel inserts in your boots if you absolutely MUST wear boots, every little bit of cushion will help.

When I had shin splints, my coach would make me do a variety of exercises to strengthen/help my shins and calves.

The biggest would be sitting on a ground, grabbing a towel, and doing ankle flexions/extensions (pointing your toe, and then flexing the ankle) with the towel around my foot for resistance. Just point and flex the toe, pulling back with moderate resistance on the towel, working up to three sets of ten (I started with 3 sets of five, but you can do it however you need to!)

This might sound REALLY weird, but walking on your toes and heels can help. Start by getting up on your toes and walking ~ 15-25 yards. Then points your toes inward (like you're pigeon-toed) and do it again. Then get up on your heels and walk the same distance. You may have to master just STANDING on your toes and heels before walking, everyone does it at their own pace.

I also used to make sure to stretch out my calves thoroughly. Sometimes shin spints can happen because of your calves (believe it or not) and you're putting undue stress on your lower limbs. So make sure to do that as well!

I bet you could google exercises for shin splits, or walking stretches, to help you on your way :) Kudos to you for walking every day, even despite the pain! That's very inspirational! You can do it, and I hope your shin splints feel better soon (they're awful!!)

almeeker 04-27-2011 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Kiltiky (Post 44841)
Any recomended system for warming up before a walk?

There is a yoga pose called "Downward Facing Dog", google it, that should help. I do them before and after a workout, both one legged and two. You can do a similar stretch against the wall if putting your hands on the floor is not an option. Another really good stretch is to squat on one leg and put the other leg forward with the heel on the ground and then flex and point your toes, make sure your back is really flat and your sticking your fanny out. You can also do calf raises, which is just standing flat footed and then going up on your tip toes, count to 10 and then slowly lower, I usually do about 20 before my workout. Once you get the hang of calf raises, you can do them with your toes on a step, where your heels are off the end of the step so you can drop them below the toes.

alicedcoz258 11-22-2022 09:34 PM

Walking is a very good exercise that helps to lose weight. It is a healthy way to keep your weight maintained.