Notices

Calories Burned

Old 04-25-2011, 10:59 AM
FitDay Member

Question Calories Burned

I wear a heart rate monitor that tells me how many calories I actually burn doing my different workouts. Even though my workout is an hour to an hour and a half long (on certain days), I have been having to log in that I did the exercise for 2, 3 or 4 hours inorder for the calories actually burned to match!!!

Is there a better way for me to track my actual calories burned on your site? I've already added so many custom foods, I'd prefer to stay with Fitday

Thank you!
BigCats
Old 04-26-2011, 04:57 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by BigCats35
I wear a heart rate monitor that tells me how many calories I actually burn doing my different workouts. Even though my workout is an hour to an hour and a half long (on certain days), I have been having to log in that I did the exercise for 2, 3 or 4 hours inorder for the calories actually burned to match!!!

Is there a better way for me to track my actual calories burned on your site? I've already added so many custom foods, I'd prefer to stay with Fitday

Thank you!
BigCats
I had a heart rate monitor till I left my strap at the gym.. now I have a expensive stop watch

But really, they are awesome. It serves more than just the calorie burned, it tracks your heartrate during the workout meaning you can see just how hard you are working out which is really surprising most of the time.

I have a Polar M32, which is an older model, but it still links in on it's own to most of the machines at the gym.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:12 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BigCats35

Thank you!
BigCats
Hi Bigcats,

I have a similar problem!

What I did was comb the activities until I found one that was a similar burn to what I actually achieved -- for instance, I burn about 12-13 cals/minute on my cardio days according to my HRM. Even though I do that on the elliptical, I usually enter it as "Stationary biking, very vigorous effort (250 watts)" because that shows 12 cals/minute burned and gives me a much closer time spent on my exercising (Usually about an hour and twenty minutes, whereas my workout is an hour + ten minutes of stretching). Pretty close!

My advice is to figure out your cals burned/minute on average, and then find an activity that matches it, even if it's NOTHING like the activity you actually do. It's the number that matters, not the description

Good luck!
Old 04-26-2011, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by taubele
Hi Bigcats,

I have a similar problem!

What I did was comb the activities until I found one that was a similar burn to what I actually achieved -- for instance, I burn about 12-13 cals/minute on my cardio days according to my HRM. Even though I do that on the elliptical, I usually enter it as "Stationary biking, very vigorous effort (250 watts)" because that shows 12 cals/minute burned and gives me a much closer time spent on my exercising (Usually about an hour and twenty minutes, whereas my workout is an hour + ten minutes of stretching). Pretty close!

My advice is to figure out your cals burned/minute on average, and then find an activity that matches it, even if it's NOTHING like the activity you actually do. It's the number that matters, not the description

Good luck!
This is a good way to go. When you start skewing times, it affects the amount of time leftover in "lifestyle." I use a HRM, and sometimes to get it to match, I will even combine different activities...like 30 minutes "intense" and 30 minutes "moderate," etc.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:53 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you to everyone! Prob just the advice I needed! I do a diff workout every day-but it's definitely easy to figure out! Great advice and best of luck to al of you! :-)