FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Exercise (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/)
-   -   What is your favorite Exercise to burn calories? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/4109-what-your-favorite-exercise-burn-calories.html)

ronnyellis 04-24-2011 01:44 AM

What is your favorite Exercise to burn calories?

Mine is hockey. 2 hours of hard skating burns 1200 calories. Not to mention great cardio. I try to do this a couple times a week, Unless work gets in the way that is.

What is your favorite way to burn calories? and how many calories do you burn?

vabeachgirlNYC 04-24-2011 08:40 AM

I love hockey! :D

Blading. I usually do 12 miles but I never figured out how many cals I really burn. Supposedly I burn about 600/700 an hour so I usually just count the 12 miles as 700 total cals burned even if it takes 1&1/2 hours.

RunbikeSki 04-24-2011 10:33 AM

Cross country skiing

But I don't get to do it very often.

It is such a great way to get outdoors in the winter. It burns a ton of calories, it is hard to seriously injure yourself, and really doesn't take that much skill to learn

Next best... running

VitoVino 07-27-2011 03:15 PM

Mountain Biking...

... on a rails to trails path with a high cadence. It's quiet and I can take in the fresh air without nearby car exhaust, plus I'm often shaded by the trees nearby. I enjoy running as well but in the summer heat and intense humidity of Carolina, biking is the most fun for me. Plus it's lower impact on the joints, unlike running.

sw07 07-27-2011 06:28 PM

Running, then biking

Kumochi 07-28-2011 12:03 AM

In winter cross country skiing; in summer kayaking or biking and even golfing burns calories. The nice thing about these enjoyable activities is even if it's not a high calorie burn you spend longer doing them and get a good total calorie count. Mary

dear_abby 07-28-2011 12:06 AM

Running, on a beautiful morning, in a lovely place! Never have enough time to really go at it forever, but I would love to!

Second is, running on a dreadmill (thanks for the word Pam), while watching a fun basketball game played on the court below.

vabeachgirlNYC 07-28-2011 02:00 AM

I have started running more days but less miles because of the temps. The realfeel was 113 on one of my runs I ran a few days ago. No shade where I was running and it felt like I was breathing through cotton balls because the humidity was so heavy. I have cut those runs down to 30 minutes since they wear me out.

I hate the dreadmill! I gave mine away because it limited my stride and and wasn't fun.

RunbikeSki 07-28-2011 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by dear_abby (Post 52045)
Second is, running on a dreadmill (thanks for the word Pam), while watching a fun basketball game played on the court below.

Must give credit where credit is due: Actually Amy (almeeker) came up with "dreadmill"

In summer, of all the many activities I love the one I really enjoy the most is hiking. I can walk forever it seems and the hillier the trail the better. I run trails just because my time is limited (well it has other benefits too) but if I was limited to only one exercise it would be unlimited time to hike trails.

mjp22 08-01-2011 06:45 AM

Hockey was also my favorite for many years, but the late night games got to be too much. I have recently taken up Kettlebells. This is by far the most effective fat burning tool I have ever come across. Incredible workout.