Notices

Any Suggestions for Strengthening Wrists?

Old 02-07-2011, 05:42 PM
FitDay Member

Default Any Suggestions for Strengthening Wrists?

Hi all!

I have very weak wrists, so I can usually only manage about three push-ups before I have to stop because I have this image in my head of wrist bones snapping .

I do pilates among other things, and the hands/knees movements- and even the plank - aren't a struggle. It's when I have to actually use my wrists in a push-up fashion that pain arrives. My partner suggested doing them on my knuckles - ouch!

Even when I was at the height of my fitness, I had this issue.

Does anyone out there have any ideas how I can strengthen my wrists so I can wave bye-bye to my disturbing mental images?
Old 02-07-2011, 10:43 PM
FitDay Member

Do you have any hand weights? If so grab them and then pretend like you're jumping rope and the hand weights are the handles, keeping your elbows tight to your sides. Believe me, it won't take long before you feel this exercise, it works the whole arm (and the fanny and the heart), but I always feel it in my wrists first. I usually use 3lbs weights for it and end up having to drop them right around 100 jumps. Then just for a full range of motion, jump backwards.

Last edited by almeeker; 02-11-2011 at 05:06 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:04 AM
FitDay Member

You might have a little carpal tunnel going on. Do you wake up with your fists tight and hands turned inward? If you do, try sleeping in wrist braces for a while. I have trouble with that too, and I find keeping my hands just outside my shoulders helps. I also do vertical push-ups, leaning against the wall instead of the floor. Not as intense that way. Or do push-ups from your knees instead of your feet. Your wrists won't break but you might make them sore.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:57 AM
FitDay Member

reverse grip curls, wrist curls, hammer curls. These should strengthen your forearms and wrists. i doubt you have CT unless you have numbness,tingling and a weakening grip. If you do then these things could hinder more than help. And remember, heavy is subjective. Dont worry about the poundage, if it feels heavy to you, its heavy. I'd start at lighter weights to get used to the "feel" of the excercise and slowly advance the weights. Good luck
Old 02-08-2011, 08:14 AM
FitDay Member

Awesome. Thanks, guys.

I do have dumbbells, so I'll give those exercises a go today - thanks, spearfisher. I don't think I've skipped rope, almeeker, since primary school! It'll be nice to revisit my childhood.

And lizzycritter, I do sleep with my fists curled under my chin. Perhaps I should look into some kind of brace-age. My partner will laugh at me, I'm sure, 'coz he's so big and manly and I'm little (read 'short') and 'delicate' (pfft!).

Thanks again!
Old 02-08-2011, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

I sometimes sleep with my wrists bent. I've had bad issues with my wrists. I've fractured both wrists in a motocycle accident.I started taking a generic Aleve and that day I could feel the relief.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:07 PM
FitDay Member

I sometimes drive with all my fingers closed in a fist and the middle one gets stuck straight in the air
Old 02-09-2011, 04:59 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by spearfisher
I sometimes drive with all my fingers closed in a fist and the middle one gets stuck straight in the air
Do you show it to slow motorists or discourteous motorists as you drive by them with an expression of amazed confusion - which could easily be mistaken (by slow and/or discourteous motorists) for irritation?
Old 02-10-2011, 10:36 AM
FitDay Member

I have the same problem with my wrist and have had double ct surgery. I found a pair of weight lifting gloves by GoFit.net that wrap around the wrist for support . They really help alot.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:53 PM
FitDay Member

I had bad recurring tendinitis in my left wrist. The best thing I've found to help keep my wrist strong and avoid painful episodes was an inexpensive (less than $20) gyroscopic ball. My husband got me one called Dyna-Flex Pro. It is a bit of a challenge to learn to use it, but the movement and resistance it offers really helps minimize my wrist issues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.