Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FITNESS > Exercise
A funny thing happened at the gym... >

A funny thing happened at the gym...

Community
Notices

A funny thing happened at the gym...

Old 02-24-2011, 11:50 AM
FitDay Member

burpees in your quest to become more effective at the dreaded burpee try doing them in sets of 10 doing 10 sets with 45 seconds rest between sets. BRUTAL
Old 02-24-2011, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by VTC17
burpees in your quest to become more effective at the dreaded burpee try doing them in sets of 10 doing 10 sets with 45 seconds rest between sets. BRUTAL
My goal was 30 consecutive burpees without stopping! I could only hit 25 before I had to take a break. When I added in the lunges it was killer!
Old 02-24-2011, 09:32 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC
My goal was 30 consecutive burpees without stopping! I could only hit 25 before I had to take a break. When I added in the lunges it was killer!
Hold the phone, you have to do lunges too? All I saw in the video was push-ups with a jump between. Where do the lunges fit in?
Old 02-24-2011, 10:34 PM
FitDay Member

There are all kind of variants you can do. Here's a vid of 15 different kinds.

YouTube - myjhong91's Channel

I try to do 10 per minute, with the rest of the minute for rest. So if it takes me 35 seconds to do the 10 then I have 25 seconds rest before starting the next set. I can just about do 100 at that pace and it's a killer.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:36 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Geoffers
There are all kind of variants you can do. Here's a vid of 15 different kinds.

YouTube - myjhong91's Channel

I try to do 10 per minute, with the rest of the minute for rest. So if it takes me 35 seconds to do the 10 then I have 25 seconds rest before starting the next set. I can just about do 100 at that pace and it's a killer.

I cant view that video- will someone please tell me what a burpee is!!!? I am dying to know now!
Old 02-24-2011, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

It's a favorite in prisons, lol!
Old 02-25-2011, 12:45 AM
FitDay Member

Actually in Prison they cheat and do squat and thrusts. They don't include the jump in it. Wooses
Old 02-26-2011, 05:54 AM
FitDay Member

I do only one kind of burpee in my biggest loser cardio video and its a walk out to plank then a jump. This video is crazy, never realized how many kinds of burpees there are now I am going to have to try more variations. LOL
Old 02-28-2011, 08:39 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by kcolville
I cant view that video- will someone please tell me what a burpee is!!!? I am dying to know now!
Start from standing.
Squat down and put your hands down on the floor.
Jump your legs back so that you are in the push-up position.
Do a push-up.
Bring your legs back to the squat.
Jump up hard and land back in the start position.

That's one burpee. They are one of the best, if not THE best, exercise for all-over body conditioning. If I was only allowed to do one exercise this would be it. Arms, legs, chest, abs and lungs... killer. You don't need any equipment and you don't need much space. Just try doing ten and see how it feels.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:16 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
I went to the gym yesterday, which is normal for a Saturday, however I typically go at 8:00-9:00am, and yesterday I didn't make it there until 2:00pm. So there I am the sole female during what must be "Big young manly muscle hour". I think there is a group that regularly meets to do free weights, they seemed to be spotting for each other and working out in teams. Anyway, I don't do a lot of free weights because I usually go by myself and don't have a spotter. But I do some upper body in the free weight room and some floor work, push-ups, planks, stretching, and I use the inverted ab bench too. I usually start with the floor work to warm up, and yesterday I managed to do a plank for about 3 -3 1/2 minutes. I didn't really time it, I just held the plank until my arms gave out. Then I got up off the floor and went out to the weight machine room to do some leg work.

Maybe 10-15 min later I walked back into the free weight room to use the ab bench and every last one of the guys that had been in there when I warmed up was in plank position. So I ask the guy nearest the ab bench, "What gives?". So he sort of chuckles and says that one of the guys is pretty sure that I held the plank 4 minutes and he challenged all of them to go longer". Too too funny. So now I'm going to practice some burpees and when I get so I can do a handful, I'm going back on a Sat afternoon and see if I can make them jump around like demented monkeys.
Ladies and Gentlemen, I think this calls for a Plank Off! Give it your best plank and post your times here!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.