Community
Notices

help!!

Old 02-20-2011, 04:11 AM
FitDay Member

Default help!!

I don't know what exercises to do at home for losing weight. I plan to do sit-ups, push-ups and squats but i feel that's not enough ^^. In future i want to be able to do at least 10 push-ups while standing in hands but that's a long-term plan. Please help me (>'.')>
Old 02-20-2011, 05:06 AM
FitDay Member

Hi,
Pushups, Squats and situps are decent enough exercises and they will serve you well if you do them properly.

Remember to do them s-l-o-w-l-y because that is what will build strength, which is what will build muscle, which will increase your metabolism, which will help you burn more calories. You should also make sure you do correct technique to get the best from the exercises and minimise the risk of injury.

An opposite exercise to situps is back extensions ("or superman")
Edit - I tried posting an image but it didn't work. Google "Superman exercise".

The opposite of pushups is pullups. I don't know if you've got access to a pull-up bar but that's a great exercise for your upper back. Don't worry if you can't do one right now because there are several easy versions you can do to progress to the full pull-up. For instance... Google for "standing rows exercise".

An alternative to situps is the "plank" exercise. Google that and you'll see that it's a great core exercise and there are those who think it's better than doing situps.

One of the best conditioning exercises you can do is the "burpee". It's a combination of pushup and squat and it's a killer. I'll let you decide if you're up for that!

YouTube - Burpees

Good luck!

Last edited by Geoffers; 02-20-2011 at 05:10 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:15 AM
FitDay Member

thanks a lot , cool exercises. Do you know any "program" or some kind of exercise that uses the whole body ?
Old 02-20-2011, 05:28 AM
FitDay Member

Running, horseback riding and swimming are all full body workouts, and unlike that burpee business you don't have to be in great shape to do any of them.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:32 AM
FitDay Member

swimming is a future plan, i dont run because i get bored and quit halfway, how do you do a horseback ride ?
Old 02-20-2011, 05:34 AM
FitDay Member

For the last couple of months I've been on a website called "Bodyweight Culture." Yes, it's a site that tries to sell you stuff but it also has an online forum chock full of free advice and friendly folk. I'm only a beginner myself and they couldn't be nicer even though some of those guys are freakily strong and conditioned. They're not intimidating in the least.

Link removed

By all means check out my workout log on there; I use the same name that I do here.

Last edited by vabeachgirlNYC; 02-23-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:35 AM
FitDay Member

Hey Almeeker.

You don't have to be in shape to start doing burpees... they get you in shape real quick.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:37 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by k1die
how do you do a horseback ride ?
First you buy a horse...
Old 02-20-2011, 05:38 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by k1die
swimming is a future plan, i dont run because i get bored and quit halfway, how do you do a horseback ride ?
You get a horse and toss a saddle on it's back. It's a great workout, and no matter how often I go I always feel it the next day. Of course I ride a little bit like a jockey.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:45 AM
FitDay Member

With the horse money i could buy myself a gym xD. I thought the "horseback ride" is a name of an exercise. Thanks a lot for all your suggestions ^^

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.