Notices

I.T Band

Old 02-13-2011, 09:00 AM
FitDay Member

Default I.T Band

okay a little back ground i suffer from osteo-arthritis in my right hip & because of that i always have a very tight I.T. Band & i'm looking for suggestions on how to stretch it or relieve some of the tightness.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:06 AM
FitDay Member

A google search or whatnot will show you a lot of IT band stretches, but you can't beat foam rolling for persistent tightness.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:55 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by theLiftingYeti
A google search or whatnot will show you a lot of IT band stretches, but you can't beat foam rolling for persistent tightness.
omg you are soooo right about that. found that the other day & did it last night WOW what a difference. made a big difference i'll have to do it again tonight & it is something i think i'll have to do most night if not every night. hurts when doing it, but wow what a difference after.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:52 AM
FitDay Member

Foam roller is brilliant for that. There should be one in your local gym that you can use.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:54 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Stacey,

I've also had tightness in my ITB in the past. I consulted with a PT/strength coach friend and he recommended a few things:

-The foam roller is your best friend. Stretch that sucker out down the outside of your thigh from your hip down to below the knee.
-Lunges will help strengthen all the muscles around the ITB to help stabilize it.
-Get in the leg press machine, don't load up any weight but squeeze a light medicine ball between your knees as you press.
-Terminal knee extensions: Tie a theraband around a pole and around your knee, then flex your knee back while keeping your foot on the ground. Youtube it if you're confused about how to do that.

I incorporated these things into my regular strength routine for about three weeks, and my debilitating knee pain was gone. They will likely help with your tightness as well.