Notices

Any runners out there?

Old 02-24-2010, 05:06 AM
FitDay Member

Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by pboumansour
Runnerchi...If (or when) you can put weight on that ankle, try spinning or a stationary bike to keep your legs strong and you aerobic capacity up there. Good luck with your recovery and efforts to qualify for Boston!
Thank you so much for your kind response!

I have been in an aircast for the last 3 weeks and have been walking around for that period of time. I had a bit of pain at first, but that went away. I am making sure to not do too much because I don't want to slow recovery. Funny you mention the bike..I had my second PT appointment yesterday and he put me on a stationary bike for just 5 minutes. While on there, I became thrilled with the idea that he gave me the "go ahead" to do stuff like that. I also realized how out of shape I'm in! Haha! Oh well, I'll get back to it soon. I'm also doing P90X, so that's helping a lot. I'm focusing mainly on the core workouts, modified pushups, etc. I just can't jump around or run in place.

Thanks again for your response!
Old 02-24-2010, 01:48 PM
FitDay Member

In the past I have run 8 marathons and 100's of smaller races.

When I got out of the Marine Corps 8 years ago I stopped running.

About 3 years ago I started back slowwwwwwly. Gosh did I get out of shape and overweight.

I have been working my way back and this past Sunday I ran my first 10 mile run is 8 years. 1:34 is not a great time but I'm on the road back!

The loss of weight has helped.

35 pounds loss in the last 40 weeks.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:06 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hi Skypilot,
1:34 for a 10 mile run is pretty darn good! 9 min mile-ish. I'm sure in your hayday you would have considered that slow, but now that you are not only older, but wiser, you should be proud. What has kept you motivated for 40 weeks? That's a long time.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:45 AM
FitDay Member

Hi everyone,

I'm a runner. I use a treadmill on an incline four days a week. The most I have run this year is 3.5 miles, but I am hoping to do a 5 mile run soon. I just broke a 15 minute mile and want to run outside when the weather get nicer.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:34 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
Hi Skypilot,
1:34 for a 10 mile run is pretty darn good! 9 min mile-ish. I'm sure in your hayday you would have considered that slow, but now that you are not only older, but wiser, you should be proud. What has kept you motivated for 40 weeks? That's a long time.
It's funny motivation wasn't an issue at first. I always wanted to do the right thing. And when I had stopped running I pulled back from my eating a lot.

But I was still gaining weight. Then I heard someone talking about portion control and baseline caloric need and stuff like that. I thought it would be good just to learn what was the minimum I could get by an not feel too hungry. Thus, without much thought or any calorie counting I just started controlling my portions and time of the day while eating.

In the last 5 weeks I joined here at Fitday in order to help count calories and carbohydrates. I'm pretty much still on the pound a week loss

I saw that I was losing a pound a week. I thought that was pretty cool.

I found that my food needs even decreased more as I brought things into control and set meal time expectations instead of eating anytime I felt like it.

Thanks for the compliment on the race.

I run a 5K race in New Haven CT this coming Sunday

A 10K race the following sunday

And a 1/2 Marathon 21 March
Old 03-03-2010, 11:51 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hi Ilikechocolate,
Good work getting the endurance up. I bet once you get outside, especially if you have a fun place to run, you'll be up to 5 miles in a snap. I admire your stick-to-it-ness, I find treadmills kinda hard to stick with.

Skypilot,
Good luck on your race this weekend - and don't forget to have fun, not just a PR!

I am finally feeling the weight loss in my runs. Last thursday's 6-miler was great. The next to the last mile is all uphill. I was trying very hard not to pay attention to my GPS, so I was pleasantly surprized to see that I did it in under 10 min miles (not much under, mind you). Long hills have always been my nemisis.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:44 AM
FitDay Member

Default Running shoe question

Hi, I am kind of new to Fitday. I've been logging my food and reading others posts for almost a month and have learned a lot. I am hoping someone in this forum may be able to answer a running shoe question. I have been running approx. 15-20 miles per week. I have two brands of running shoes, both bought within the last three months. I get hip pain on my right side when I run in the Asics and shin pain in both legs when I run in the Saucony's. I have a wider instep and small heel, which rules out a lot of other brands. The pains occur no matter where I run. Being on the treadmill compared to the pavement or the track makes no difference. I do stretch before and after my runs. Should I be looking into a different shoe? I don't want to keep spending money on shoes that aren't good to run in. Could it be that my stride is different when I am wearing each shoe? Any thoughts?
Old 03-08-2010, 08:23 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Cool running shoes

I think the only thing to do is to keep trying different brands and styles. I have had "professional" fittings that ended up with severe shin splints and guesses based on reviews that ended up with blisters where I didn't even know blisters could form.

So how do you try shoes without going broke? Runners World's VIP program will allow you to return shoes even after you have worn them a bit. They also have a pretty good shoe finder program that has worked fairly well for me in the past. One thing I have found is that if they don't feel great on the first run, they will never feel any better with subsequent runs, so do your best to return them or relegate them to the "puttering around the house" category.

My biggest peeve is that once I find a shoe I love, the darn manufacturer decides to "improve" them, which is rarely an improvement to me!
Old 03-09-2010, 11:20 AM
FitDay Member

Default Thanks

RunBikeSki, Thanks for the tip about shoes on Running World. I will check it out. It is time consuming to do all the messing around with shoes when all you want is to be able to run pain free!
Old 03-09-2010, 11:18 PM
FitDay Member

mambo I hope you find the shoes you are looking for. Running is a relatively cheap sport but the one piece of equipment is the shoes.

I am fortunate. Years ago while I was starting to run road races I won a pair of New Balance at a raffle at the end of a race. I loved them. I have used NB ever since. They were the first company to place a priority on width size.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.