FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Exercise (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/)
-   -   Large Calorie Deficits due to Excersize (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/3120-large-calorie-deficits-due-excersize.html)

jwhearn 01-23-2011 02:27 AM

Large Calorie Deficits due to Excersize

I put this in the exercise forum because I couldn't find a better spot for it. I'm wondering what the downside is to having large calorie deficits on some days. I'm trying to lose a little weight, so on most days I have a deficit of 500 cal or so. At least twice a week I'll do a long bike ride where I burn ~3000 calories. On those days, I have huge deficits. People have told me that on those days I should consume more, but do I really need to stuff myself?

mecompco 01-23-2011 02:32 AM

How do you feel? I think that's a good indicator if you need to eat more on those days or not.

Of course, the body needs the fuel to replenish itself--perhaps a moderate amount of extra carbs and protein wouldn't hurt, but listen to your body.

Perhaps others with more nutritional expertise will add their opinions.

Regards,
Michael

Kumochi 01-23-2011 03:39 AM

I'd like to hear more on this thread. I like using exercise to increase my calorie defecit. The only downside I could see would be if the defecit was big enough and frequent enough to slow your metabolism. My personal opinion is that the increased deficit on an irregular basis should be fine.

44ismyfriend 01-24-2011 08:01 AM

Seen an interview with Jillian Michaels where she stated that the people on the biggest loser were exercising about 4 hours a day, 6 days a week, and the max calories anyone there are eating are about 2500.

Her formula (basic) I believe was something like 7 calories in pr pound of weight. this seems fairly ok to me.
Cheers
Hagar

rpmcduff 01-25-2011 03:50 AM

The only thing I would worry about is muscle catabolism (your body converting muscle to energy). You may want to incorporate a protein shake after your bike ride. Protein is the only nutrient that can build and repair muscle. Since muscle is the furnace of your metabolism you want to preserve as much as possible.

Are you really riding 60 miles at 15mph (about 3000 calories burned)? If so I am impressed.

jwhearn 01-25-2011 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by rpmcduff (Post 33541)
The only thing I would worry about is muscle catabolism (your body converting muscle to energy). You may want to incorporate a protein shake after your bike ride. Protein is the only nutrient that can build and repair muscle. Since muscle is the furnace of your metabolism you want to preserve as much as possible.

Are you really riding 60 miles at 15mph (about 3000 calories burned)? If so I am impressed.

I'm training for the King of Mountains (3 centuries). Me and the buddies I ride with usually average ~18mph. How do you estimate the calories anyway? I always just get the number from my Garmin. Thanks.

rpmcduff 01-26-2011 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by jwhearn (Post 33597)
I'm training for the King of Mountains (3 centuries). Me and the buddies I ride with usually average ~18mph. How do you estimate the calories anyway? I always just get the number from my Garmin. Thanks.

I just looked it up using the Fitday activity log. You may want to consider both pre and post workout protein for such an intense workout?

NB-PEmom 01-26-2011 12:59 PM

I'm no expert!

My understanding is that if you have a huge calorie deficit, your body thinks it is in starvation mode and your metabolism will slow down and begin to store fat. If you consume a few more calories to "keep fueling the fire," then your metabolism should continue at it's "normal" pace. JUst make sure the calories you are consuming are healthy, nutrient dense ones! Good luck!! If I am incorrect, I hope someone sets us straight!!!:D

behaze 02-03-2011 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by rpmcduff (Post 33541)
You may want to incorporate a protein shake after your bike ride. Protein is the only nutrient that can build and repair muscle. Since muscle is the furnace of your metabolism you want to preserve as much as possible.

Does it matter when you have that extra boost of protein? Does it have to be directly after exercise (while you're still on the adrenaline high), or can it be later in the day?

japresto4752 02-03-2011 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by jwhearn (Post 33597)

Be very very wary of the numbers from your Garmin! I do a bit of riding (150-200 miles per week) and use a Garmin 705 with a PowerTap to measure power. The Garmin ALWAYS overestimates the calorie consumption, usually by a lot. Here are 2 examples:

1) 1H5M ride @ 14.4mph on my indoor trainer. Garmin Cals = 951, PowerTap=611
2) 2H5M ride @ 16.6mph outdoor pretty flat. Garmin Cals = 2,797, PowerTap=1444

I have found FitDay to be much closer to the actual calorie consumption as measured with power from the PowerTap versus the calorie number from the Garmin. If you measure your consumption by the Garmin and increase your calorie consumption, you will not loose weight.

As for consuming more calories when you work more, I would up the calories but leave the deficit larger than your normal day. I am dieting now using a high protein regimen and I am trying to keep my deficit to that proscribed by FitDay to reach my goal in the timeframe I have chosen. I want to prevent loosing muscle while building my fitness. I have lost muscle during previous diets when I didn't want to.

Hope this helps.