Notices
Like Tree2Likes

Did You Exercise Today???

Old 03-16-2011, 06:46 AM
FitDay Member

Ran 4.8 miles before work and I also tried out a new pair of the Vibram Fivefinger minimalist shoes.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:44 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Just got back from my 2 mile walk. These extra weekend walks are already paying off.

Regards,
Michael
Old 03-19-2011, 05:56 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by sw07
Ran 4.8 miles before work and I also tried out a new pair of the Vibram Fivefinger minimalist shoes.
What kind of an impression did they leave? I've been thinking of buying a pair but the price tag keeps putting me off...
Old 03-20-2011, 03:32 AM
FitDay Member

Compared to what some others are doing here, my exercise "achievements" don't look like much, BUT...I have gone from a completely sedentary 62 year old to a 63 year old walking 2.5 miles every morning and feeling like I can walk another half mile without any trouble at all. So there. I remember when a mile looked daunting, and it wasn't that long ago. I'm saying this because I know there are other women in their 60s, a hundred pounds or more overweight, who think they can't do anything about it. Am I losing weight? I don't know because there's no access to a dependable scale. But I am FEELING better. My low back pain is gone because now I have some muscle back there to support my spine. And getting it was pretty painless. I can turn over in bed without making a conscious DECISION to do it and then engineering the move (!) I can walk up my steep driveway without breathing hard. I have more energy and more interest in doing things during the day. Originally, I was going to do my 2.5 miles in two sessions during the day, but you know how it goes: You get moving and once you get warmed up, you decide to just keep going. In a month or so, I'll be able to put my kayak on the water and start working on upper body strength/calorie burning. Feeling absolutely terrific. Just had to say that.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:07 AM
FitDay Member

Like Ratsmouth I am an older lady (76) and am daunted by what some of the younger folks are doing. But am getting started. Yesterday I checked out the excercise room in out condo and found the treadmill was working. Did 45 minutes yesterday in three 15 minute sessions, and so far today 29 minutes and it's only 10 am here. Will go back after a while. Then I will dust off the weights and try something else.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:14 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by waterfree
What kind of an impression did they leave? I've been thinking of buying a pair but the price tag keeps putting me off...
I liked them,felt kinda weird the first mile, after that, it was fine.
However, after I was warmed up, they started to feel a little tight between the toes. I followed the sizing chart, but I'm gonna go up one size to compensate for swelling of the feet.
I also noticed how the shoes work the front of the shins and calves more. I was pretty sore for at least a day.

I've been buying my shoes from e-bay, seems cheaper and I can just re-list them if they don't fit.

Originally Posted by Ratsmouth
Compared to what some others are doing here, my exercise "achievements" don't look like much, BUT...I have gone from a completely sedentary 62 year old to a 63 year old walking 2.5 miles every morning and feeling like I can walk another half mile without any trouble at all. So there. I remember when a mile looked daunting, and it wasn't that long ago. I'm saying this because I know there are other women in their 60s, a hundred pounds or more overweight, who think they can't do anything about it. Am I losing weight? I don't know because there's no access to a dependable scale. But I am FEELING better. My low back pain is gone because now I have some muscle back there to support my spine. And getting it was pretty painless. I can turn over in bed without making a conscious DECISION to do it and then engineering the move (!) I can walk up my steep driveway without breathing hard. I have more energy and more interest in doing things during the day. Originally, I was going to do my 2.5 miles in two sessions during the day, but you know how it goes: You get moving and once you get warmed up, you decide to just keep going. In a month or so, I'll be able to put my kayak on the water and start working on upper body strength/calorie burning. Feeling absolutely terrific. Just had to say that.
Don't worry about comparisons, its awesome that you're out there doing it!
It will get easier as you progress,we all have to start somewhere.....
Old 03-20-2011, 08:54 AM
FitDay Member

Hi, Sobig! All I can say is "ATTA GIRL!!!!!!" People like you are why I posted about my miniscule exercise program. You DO have to start somewhere, and this is one of those areas where every little bit DOES help. Start slow, don't work yourself so hard or so long that it feels like a chore. Get yourself some headphones and upbeat music for the treadmill, if that motivates you. I started out at a distance and pace I KNEW I could do, and gradually increased it, paying attention to heart rate at the beginning and end of my exercise session. It doesn't take long to build endurance if you do it every day, or at least regularly. The funny thing is that this morning, after getting off the treadmill, I called a friend and asked her, "Hey, do you want to go for a walk?"! We did another couple of miles on a walking trail, poked around in the woods, and had a blast. So just keep at it. Maybe you'll find an exercise buddy if you go at the same time every day. You never know. Congratulations on getting started!!!
Old 03-22-2011, 07:36 PM
FitDay Member

Just change my phase of workout this week so I did a lower body Workout with my sandbag for 40 minutes timed stations with 2 exercises per station with 3 stations, that was all followed with 20 minutes, that includes rest periods, of lower body plyos. It was a good time. Tomorrow is a off day well today is an off day depending on how you look at the time, looking forward to it. Cant wait to use the sandbag with my balance training on Thursday and Friday.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:46 PM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by waterfree
I love mine. I haven't done any long distance in them, and I do not do distance anymore. I have just done hardwood floor sprints, plyos, and weight training in them but they are super comfy. If you go to there website they tell you how to build up to long runs again if your a avid distance runner. I also have a pair to just wear around, barefoot is a natural thing for the body, I just hate how stuff feels on my feet so its like a glove for my foot.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:36 AM
FitDay Member

Good for you! I'll be 64 on 4/5 and decided on 1/1 to lose weight. I started with walking and now exercise to a Leslie Sansone tape every morning. I'm down 21 pounds. I just tell myself to take it one step at a time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.