Notices
Like Tree2Likes

Did You Exercise Today???

Old 04-23-2011, 05:05 AM
FitDay Member

Yesterday took the dog for a long walk, which he and I both enjoyed. Today did 2.75 miles on the treadmill, ending up at a 4.5% incline, pulse around 117. I think I'm going to start adding my daypack with the equivalent weight of the usual day hike gear inside (water, lunch, compass, first aid kit, Esbit stove and fuel, matches, fleece, rain jacket, emergency blanket, knife...) Feels good to increase the incline. My legs are finally starting to get some circulation going! LOL! They've also lost some inches, as has the rest of me. I'm doing a 6 mile day hike on the Appalachian Trail in June, so....yanno....gotta keep moving now.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:54 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by Ratsmouth
Yesterday took the dog for a long walk, which he and I both enjoyed. Today did 2.75 miles on the treadmill, ending up at a 4.5% incline, pulse around 117. I think I'm going to start adding my daypack with the equivalent weight of the usual day hike gear inside (water, lunch, compass, first aid kit, Esbit stove and fuel, matches, fleece, rain jacket, emergency blanket, knife...) Feels good to increase the incline. My legs are finally starting to get some circulation going! LOL! They've also lost some inches, as has the rest of me. I'm doing a 6 mile day hike on the Appalachian Trail in June, so....yanno....gotta keep moving now.
Great job! You should come up to Maine and do the end of the Appalachian Trail. I would suggest sometime after the blackflies are gone, though!

Regards,
Michael
Old 04-24-2011, 07:36 AM
FitDay Member

B-b-b-but Mike...YOUR end of the Appalachian Trail (Hundred Mile Wilderness and Katahdin) is some of the most difficult, with or without the black flies. The main thing is that before this is over, I am GOING to get in shape for backpacking. Would love to be on Katahdin to welcome thru-hikers, though. Gotta say that my legs feel SO much stronger with just a couple of months of steady walking every day. My usual mileage has stopped being a challenge, and I find myself wanting to do more.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:41 AM
FitDay Premium Member

WOW Ratsmouth, I can't believe this is the same person who a couple of months ago was struggling to get 1/2 mile. What tremendous progress. And now you are planning an Appy Trail hike . I can only hope that it will be first of many. And that maybe you will be the opportunity to take Michael up on his offer to stroll the northern end of the trail.

Well the rest paid off and I finally had a really good long run - 11.5 miles. My Dick Tracy wrist watch ran out of juice so I don't know exactly the pace, but given start and finish times the average was well under 10 min miles.

Next week I should be able to get back to an intense set of workouts.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:11 AM
FitDay Member

nice work - hiking is such rewarding exercise.

Yesterday I got five miles in - it was two walks to church, one for the 7 AM service, one for the 11 (got rides back both times)

And today, walked to the subway instead of taking the bus, 2.2 miles through beautiful hilly trees, may the rest of the week be as good!

Abby
Old 04-25-2011, 01:48 AM
FitDay Member

Pam, wow, under 10 minutes miles. That's great! I will die if I do it that hard.
Are you run on concreat trail or dirt trail?
I ran yesterday, so hard, 3 miles in 85 degree and humid.
Mai
Old 04-25-2011, 04:50 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Mai,
All it takes is time and training. You will be surprised how much faster you will be in a year. The trick is to take is add a little more miles, add a little more speed, but slowly over time - just like you are doing - so you don't end up losing time to an injury.

Keep up the dedication. Uggg, 85 degrees and humid is just plain unpleasant!
Old 04-25-2011, 05:10 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by Ratsmouth
B-b-b-but Mike...YOUR end of the Appalachian Trail (Hundred Mile Wilderness and Katahdin) is some of the most difficult, with or without the black flies. The main thing is that before this is over, I am GOING to get in shape for backpacking. Would love to be on Katahdin to welcome thru-hikers, though. Gotta say that my legs feel SO much stronger with just a couple of months of steady walking every day. My usual mileage has stopped being a challenge, and I find myself wanting to do more.
Ha ha--I doubt I'll ever do the 100 mile wilderness, but I do plan to climb Kathadin, possibly this fall. Here's about as close to is as I've been thus far--this is my Jeep up on the Golden Road north of Milinocket (which you've seen if you've ever watched American Loggers on TV) with Kathadin in the distance:

Regards,
Michael

Last edited by mecompco; 04-26-2011 at 02:17 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:09 AM
FitDay Member

Michael, love your photo of Katahdin, my sister and brother in law named gave their son Katahdin as a middle name they so love that mountain (fortunately, went for a common first name, his brother got Denali).

This morning my workout was abbreviated due to issues with the bus, but it felt good, I did 15 minutes on the treadmill - decided to see if I could get really fast since I didn't have long, and did - Iup to an 7 miles an hour (8.5 minutes per mile) I couldn't go long term that way, but it was fun and challenging.

Then some nice muscle work, I added a 4 lb medicine ball to my decline bench crunches, it keeps me from cheating with my hands as I'm holding something.

Good day!

Abby
Old 04-26-2011, 02:39 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Thumbs up 8.5 min mile

That's fast! Keep it up. You'll be running Boston in no time!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.