Notices

Specific Exercise Needed

Old 01-05-2018, 02:10 AM
FitDay Member

Default Specific Exercise Needed

I have been using the elliptical and have been getting weakness behind and above the knees. I used to get this same weakness when I was running and it forced me to stop until the weakness went away.

I am wondering if there might be an exercise that would strengthen other muscles in the area that help with the load while exercising. Perhaps there is another machine that would work better for this problem? (I want to exercise to get my heart rate up for half an hour.)

I really would like to continue working on the elliptical but if I don't do something then this will just continue to injure me until I have to stop.

Cheers -

george
Old 01-05-2018, 04:43 AM
FitDay Member

Hey There George

It sounds like you either might have the beginnings of runners knee or an imbalance in your leg strength. Cardio machine although can be great for cardio and legs they do tend to neglect the hamstring muscles and don't really do anything for strengthening your joints and tendons. Make sure to do full lower body routine to keep everything in balance. As of now you problem need to do alittle more hamstring, hips and glut work. I can give your exercise options if you can tell me what kind of equipment you have? Bands, weights, ankle weights ans so on!

Hope this helps!

Iosif

Originally Posted by GLSmyth
I have been using the elliptical and have been getting weakness behind and above the knees. I used to get this same weakness when I was running and it forced me to stop until the weakness went away.

I am wondering if there might be an exercise that would strengthen other muscles in the area that help with the load while exercising. Perhaps there is another machine that would work better for this problem? (I want to exercise to get my heart rate up for half an hour.)

I really would like to continue working on the elliptical but if I don't do something then this will just continue to injure me until I have to stop.

Cheers -

george
Old 01-05-2018, 06:30 AM
FitDay Member

Iosif -

I go to the gym and use their equipment. Anything I could do at home would be helpful, but if there is specific equipment I should ask for then please let me know.

Cheers -

george
Old 01-06-2018, 02:23 PM
FitDay Member

oh
Old 01-08-2018, 03:25 AM
FitDay Member

So my recommendation would be start with a lower body warm up, followed by a set of rehab exercises and finish off with a light lower body routine until you notice the weakness is not there anymore. I'll quickly assemble a routine for you!

Warm Up
High Knees (either running or marching in one place) 45 sec
Butt Kicks 45 sec
Leg extended standing toe touches (opposites touch, right arm left leg and etc) 45 sec
Abductor Leg Swings 20 per side
Row Machine for a couple minutes

Rehab
Stability ball curl 3 sets 20 reps or Leg Curl Machine light weight so that by 20 you feel your hamstring tense up and tendons work also 3 sets

Single Leg hip extensions 3 sets 15 reps per leg (make sure to extend all the way and squeeze your gluts or if that is hard do elevated hip extensions with both legs at the same time and again extend all the way 30 reps 3 sets

Stability ball squats (ball on the wall and you leaning on it) 20 reps 3 sets

Lower body work out

Bodyweight squat 20 reps 3 sets
Steps ups 10 reps per leg 3 sets
Lunges 10 reps per leg alternating 3 sets
Hyper extensions 20 reps 3 sets

Originally Posted by GLSmyth
Iosif -

I go to the gym and use their equipment. Anything I could do at home would be helpful, but if there is specific equipment I should ask for then please let me know.

Cheers -

george
Old 05-01-2018, 06:50 PM
FitDay Member

Aerobic activity. Get at least 150 minutes of moderate aerobic activity or 75 minutes of vigorous aerobic activity a week, or a combination of moderate and vigorous activity. The guidelines suggest that you spread out this exercise during the course of a week.
Old 05-05-2018, 05:08 AM
FitDay Member

I would recommend a program focused on lower-body strength. Starting Strength and StrongLifts 5x5 are two great beginner programs. I have also found luck with powerlifting programs that are more focused on strength but you should use those once you have some more experience first. Also make sure you are doing plenty of stretching and mobility exercises to stay healthy.

Last edited by Kathy13118; 07-11-2018 at 01:45 AM. Reason: removed link
Old 06-05-2018, 05:58 PM
FitDay Member

First i would recommend that get some massage. It will help to strengthen the muscles. Then change the routine of your daily exercise. Do cardio on alternate days. Also consume 4-5 liters of water daily.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:37 PM
FitDay Member

Exercise is always good for health.I am doing exercise daily to stay fit.
Old 06-03-2021, 01:32 AM
FitDay Member

try yoga ..its good for health and u can do it at home.
i dont know specific for knee but search on google.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.