Notices

Too much at the gym, or too little?

Old 11-30-2010, 07:05 AM
FitDay Member

Default Too much at the gym, or too little?

For a little over two weeks now, Ive been going to the gym every single day and putting in at least an hour of cardio and doing some light weight training, alternating muscle groups every day.

So far I havent seen any results from this, so last night I added another hour of cardio. So basically I do an hour on the elliptical, and then another hour walking on at 6% incline on the treadmill, which is about as much as I can do thanks to my bad leg. Im not able to jog or run yet.

Can anyone tell me if this is a good routine, or when or if I'll see results? I guess I kind of feel healthier, but its discouraging to put in time at the gym every day and not see any change.

Also, my diet isnt bad. Im actually eating LESS than I normally do simply because Im not hungry, and I dont eat junk food. My meals usually consist of cereal in the morning (Pops or Special K), cottage cheese for a snack, a protein shake, a ham sandwich, then something light for dinner such as a banana or a taco made with a whole wheat tortilla.

If someone could help me out Id really appreciate it, this is the first REAL effort, I think, that Ive made to really try and lose weight and get in shape.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:10 AM
FitDay Member

Congrats on your effort!
Your body maybe in starvation mode and you should have at least 1 recovery day per week and eat more protein.
I'm sure others will chime in....
Old 11-30-2010, 07:15 AM
FitDay Member

I thought about that, but Im pretty sure I eat enough calories a day to avoid that? I never feel hungry or like I need to eat more.

Oh! And some extra info, I also take yoga classes every tuesday and thursday, which Im hoping will be good since Im a girl and would like to look longer and leaner.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bbycakes
For a little over two weeks now, Ive been going to the gym every single day and putting in at least an hour of cardio and doing some light weight training, alternating muscle groups every day.

So far I havent seen any results from this, so last night I added another hour of cardio. So basically I do an hour on the elliptical, and then another hour walking on at 6% incline on the treadmill, which is about as much as I can do thanks to my bad leg. Im not able to jog or run yet.

Can anyone tell me if this is a good routine, or when or if I'll see results? I guess I kind of feel healthier, but its discouraging to put in time at the gym every day and not see any change.

Also, my diet isnt bad. Im actually eating LESS than I normally do simply because Im not hungry, and I dont eat junk food. My meals usually consist of cereal in the morning (Pops or Special K), cottage cheese for a snack, a protein shake, a ham sandwich, then something light for dinner such as a banana or a taco made with a whole wheat tortilla.

If someone could help me out Id really appreciate it, this is the first REAL effort, I think, that Ive made to really try and lose weight and get in shape.
IMO your routine is no good. It sounds like you are overtraining! Sometime less really is more. Even if it was a good routine, it's only been 2 weeks. Give it a little time. If you are bent on going to the gym often (I feel like that myself)... on the weeks that I go 6 days, 3 will be cardio (for about 30mins) and 3 days I'll lift weights. I'm not saying that 30 mins of cardio is what you need but I am saying that 2 hours a day, especially with a bad leg, may be doing more harm than good... and slowing your results.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 11-30-2010 at 07:58 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:22 AM
FitDay Member

Okay, thankyou. Like I said this is the first time Ive ever really put effort into it and I dont really know how long to go for or how much I could do. I want to feel like Ive really accomplished something and got a good workout, of course, but I really dont want to slow down any progress :[
Old 11-30-2010, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

well it looks like you've put in a lot of effort, for sure. I just think if you cut back, you'll see better results. You may also look at HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training" on a recumbent bike or something. You may see it listed as "interval" on the program settings. That should quickly burn calories, be easier on your leg, and allow your body time to recover if you are taking days off.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 11-30-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:25 AM
FitDay Member

Firstly congratulations on jumping in to a new healthy lifestyle! I know you are impatient to see some results, we all long for the day believe me. But as much as I hate to say this, 2 weeks isn't long enough to see your efforts yet, not that there aren't some improvements going on but you really can't see them yet. Believe me your muscles are still in a state of confusion, all standing around looking at each other going "Seriously, we're at the gym AGAIN?". I would encourage you to take some starting measurements, because that will start to show with a few weeks, even if you can't see it with a naked eye. The scale and the tape don't know enough to lie to you, even when they should... Oh and again the protein thing, Mike's right you gotta make sure you're getting enough for your muscles to build up.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:21 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
well it looks like you've put in a lot of effort, for sure. I just think if you cut back, you'll see better results. You may also look at HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training" on a recumbent bike or something. You may see it listed as "interval" on the program settings. That should quickly burn calories, be easier on your leg, and allow your body time to recover if you are taking days off.
I agree, a lot of effort.

I think you could put in a more concentrated effort 3 times a week and try an alternative to your 2 hours of cardio. That much cardio will build you great cardio vascular endurance, but its not going to burn fat like weight training and HIIT.

I do weight training and HIIT 3 times a week, with a day off in between.

Turn your program upside down is my suggestion. Put that 2 hours of cardio aside and make your weight training the main focus, along with HIIT workouts.

Don't worry about bulking up, most women have this misconception that they will bulk up weight training. This is not true.

Look at this woman:
http://www.projectswole.com/wp-conte...-squatting.jpg

She is squatting as much weight (225lbs) as most average guy lifters do, and she isn't bulky. In fact I would say damn thats a nice ass. lol
Old 11-30-2010, 07:54 PM
FitDay Member

Jason, I'm so glad you posted the Pauline squat picture. It's one of my favorites.

bbycakes, there are three things going on here:

1. Don't get down on yourself if you haven't seen much in two weeks! Most workout programs last anywhere from 2 - 4 months so two weeks is barely past the intro phase!

2. Like Mike mentioned, you are probably overtraining. And overtraining on cardio, especially where you said you have a bad leg. If you want to do steady cardio instead of HIIT for the time being that's fine, cut it back to an hour 3 days a week, and lift weights 2-3 days a week. Like Jason said (right above this post) you'll burn a lot more fat if you make your focus weight training rather than cardio. Also, take one day out of the week for complete rest, and get good sleep. Your body will thank you.

3. You may not be getting enough protein in your diet to take full advantage of what you're doing in the gym. Absolute calories are important, but it's also important to make sure a good chunk of those calories come from protein. You'll get different recommendations from different people of exactly what "good chunk" means, but I'll say get at least 0.75 g / lb lean body mass. This means for a 150 lb person with 20% body fat (80% lean mass), minimum 90 g of protein, or about 360 calories.

Good luck! And don't hesitate to post again if you have more questions!
Old 12-01-2010, 03:53 AM
FitDay Member

They say it takes about 3 weeks to start seeing results. I would not give up, but you might want allow yourself one day off a week so you don't get burned out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.