FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Exercise (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/)
-   -   Trying to find new exercise I can do with a spinal injury (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/2181-trying-find-new-exercise-i-can-do-spinal-injury.html)

tobersmommy 10-17-2010 07:32 PM

Trying to find new exercise I can do with a spinal injury

My name is Jamie, I am just out of the Navy because of a problem with my spine. I have a pars defect, but it wasn't aggravated until last year in September. Since then I gained about 60 pounds :o, and I am trying to lose again. I get steroid injections in my spine, and they really help, but I have not had an injection since June, and my pain is full time again. I am walking every day, and I am using weights on my wrists when I walk and doing arm exercises, they don't hurt as much as putting the weights on my ankles. And I am using a medicine ball to do a few 2-man exercises with a friend. I just wish I knew some other exercises that I won't kill myself to do.

Any suggestions? :confused:

almeeker 10-17-2010 11:17 PM

Sounds like you might be due for another injection? I have to get one in my shoulder this week. I need one in my neck too, but I opt instead for the shoulder as that seems to fix both areas.

For exercise have you considered swimming or water exercises? Or maybe yoga and pilates. My DH has a bad back and he swears by his morning stretching routine another friend of mine has a dowagers hump and has straightened it out significantly using pilates. I don't know exactly what a pars defect is or where your pain is located, so I might be way off base here. I have bad knees and have found using an elliptical is much easier on my body than running.

Jenna_66 10-18-2010 04:01 AM

I'm not sure what kinda spine injury you have, I just wrote a paper for school on lower back pain and exercise. Google what ever kind of pain you have, and most likely there will be lists of exercise you can do to so it won't hurt or to strengthen it

tobersmommy 10-18-2010 05:57 AM

Yeah, I am definitely due for an injection, overdue actually, but I just got out of the Navy, and I am in the process of having the VA pick up all of my medical care. The water exercises sound great, and I like doing them. But the pool in the community I live in isn't exactly up to par. It's tiny for one, always ice cold, and doesn't seem to get cleaned often enough. But thanks for the suggestion!

My pars defect is in the lowest part of my spine, L 5/6, so up and down stairs sucks, and I can only elliptical for a short time before it puts strain on the lower back, so I have been walking. Oh wow! I just realized I sound like I am complaining and making excuses!!!! Totally not my plan!

Thanks everyone for your help!

Lizzycritter 10-18-2010 07:10 AM

Have you ever tried yoga? I've seen videos specifically targeted for back pain sufferers.

I know the fight with pain, my back is OK but I've got arthritis and tendonitis everywhere. I can't use free weights but I have been able to use the health club machines for strength training.

alicedcoz258 11-22-2022 09:38 PM

Consult a physician first to start any exercise.