Notices

Treadmill question

Old 09-30-2010, 05:26 PM
FitDay Member

Default Treadmill question

I have never used one in my entire life. I had no idea how tired I'd be using one, but started using it tonight. 2.3 mph, five minutes and it only said I did 2 tenths of a mile. Whether that's accurate, or not, I don't know, but it seems walking outside I get further, faster, and with less movement. The treadmill KILLED my legs and I was sweatting profusely after 2.5 minutes, lol. I am 407 lbs...but I have been walking half a mile to a mile per night. I am using the model the J4i Proform Power Incline.

The question is; Is this normal? Why is it so much harder on the treadmill than walking fast on the road?
Old 10-01-2010, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator

Were you set on an incline at all? I'm not familiar with that machine, but if you are walking uphill, it's certainly more taxing than just walking on a relatively even road. Otherwise, conventional wisdom is usually that the road is harder; however, I can get farther faster on the track than I do on the treadmill. When I'm on the treadmill, I run at a steady speed. When I'm outside running, I have to mix it up with some walking, but I cover the same distance in less time...several minutes less. The only thing I can think of is that varying the pace outside is more efficient, and that may be what you are experiencing. Hang in there and enjoy what a great thing you are doing for your body!
Old 10-01-2010, 04:24 AM
FitDay Member

Great job on trying the treadmill!

Aside from the incline that Cassie mentioned, I'd think there might be 2 other factors involved.

1. Many people, myself included, who just start using a treadmill tend to hold on to the rails for the first few times. If you are doing this (and you'll quit doing it pretty fast) not having the natural arm-swing can make it seem harder.

2. I think there might also be a perception issue. On the treadmill you know _exactly_ how far and how fast you are going. Do you normally do your 1/2 mile walk in just a bit more then 10 minutes? Because that was about the pace you were walking at on the treadmill. If your 1/2 mile walks outside are taking more like 15 minutes or your miles 30 minutes then you are exercising at about 1/3 greater intensity on the treadmill (which is good really). I know I walk slower outside then on the treadmill. But I tend to "stroll" when walking outside.

I think you'll get used to it soon and treadmills give (IMO) a great workout.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:38 PM
FitDay Member

Default keeps you honest

one possible explanation is the way we overestimate how hard we are working when we exercise. Outside, you can stop and look at something, catch your breath and keep going. The treadmill keeps moving, it basically forces you to stay steady. Go the same amount of time everyday for a few weeks and try to see if you can go a little faster every week. It gets easier. That is not the goal though, it isnt called "working out" because it is easy. If it is easy -- we won't reach our goal.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:32 AM
FitDay Member

Another factor may be that outside there are a lot more distractions like the sights and sounds that surround you. Personally I find that a 30-minute run outside goes by a lot faster than a 30-minute run on the treadmill which seems to last forever. On a treadmill you're just looking at the seconds go by, where as outdoors you are covering ground which is more mentally stimulating.

Personally I find that listening to music while working out on the treadmill helps enormously. It helps the time go by faster and helps you move faster to keep up with the tempo of the music. Then you can enjoy the adrenaline rush even more!

Keep at it though! You will see how much you steadily improve with every week and it is very satisfying. It's a great thing you are doing for yourself.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:56 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Great advice so fat. It's great you're exercising. I've just started, now that my joints don't scream every time I stand up and I don't have to stop and catch my breath after 20 or 30 steps.

One good thing about folks our size is that the weight comes off pretty fast even with minimal exercise. My first official weigh-in after 6 weeks at 1500 cals was 393, back around the first week in June. I'm down to 337 as of yesterday.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted as to your progress!

Michael
Old 10-13-2010, 03:59 PM
FitDay Member

Hello,

Nice thread the information in every post is good thanks for posting here

thanks

Löpband
Old 10-21-2010, 07:16 AM
FitDay Member

Talking

Originally Posted by mtlgirl
Another factor may be that outside there are a lot more distractions like the sights and sounds that surround you. Personally I find that a 30-minute run outside goes by a lot faster than a 30-minute run on the treadmill which seems to last forever. On a treadmill you're just looking at the seconds go by, where as outdoors you are covering ground which is more mentally stimulating.

Personally I find that listening to music while working out on the treadmill helps enormously. It helps the time go by faster and helps you move faster to keep up with the tempo of the music. Then you can enjoy the adrenaline rush even more!

I agree that distractions are great for the time walking. I ALWAYS put a towel over the readings on the treadmill. It forces me NOT to constantly look at how much longer I have to go or the dreaded "you mean I feel like I'm gonna tumble over at any moment and this dang machine is saying that I have only gone THAT far?"

I also agree with listening to music while you work out. I have playlists to suit my mood AND tempo for each time I go to the gym (I recycle thru about 4 playlists). Do I want to walk faster, do I want to put a bit of STANK behind the workout (my grrrr face), or do I want a more mellow feeling? Listen to songs ahead of time and swing your arms to what your normal pace as if you were are on the treadmill...is the song too fast or too slow vs. your normal beat? You can also put a playlist together that will be right at 30 minutes so you will know once you finish your list, you have gone through your workout. It's better than watching the clock on the treadmill.

ALSO another thing I find helpful is to "breath" SING the song while you are on the treadmill. You don't have to sing out loud, but use the same amount of breath that you would normally use to sing normally, while listening to the songs during your workout. It's a HUGE lung burning exercise and really adds to the workout. My ex husband was in the military and they would always sing cadences while they run for that reason...to help strengthen the lungs faster.

I'm still new here, so sorry if I sound like an energetic puppy. This site is GREAT!