Notices

exercise at work

Old 09-23-2010, 07:11 AM
FitDay Member

Smile exercise at work

how much exercise do you get at work?

I'm a CNA on 3rd shift and where I work it keeps me really busy. I make many laps around the building (7 laps is 1 mile), and between resident care (I find myself doing a lot of squats helping with showers and getting dressed), and my body is constantly moving with all the additional cleaning we have to do in the whole building. Many nights I sweat up a storm cause my body is on the move non-stop. And to top it off they have 2 pieces of gym equipment that we're allowed to use on breaks so I'll get on the treadmill or stationary bike during that time.

I have never really considered work as a "work out". So I normally walk an aditional 2-3 miles a day most days of the week. I can't jog very long yet so if I do it's only about 1/4 mile.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:17 AM
FitDay Member

I get nada- desk jockey for 8hrs. That's why I try to run 2-4 miles before work every other day and hit the gym when not running.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:59 AM
FitDay Member

It depends on the day. I got a good upper body workout in today wrestling a very muscular german shepherd for hip x-rays, but the rest of the day was pretty mild. Some days it's go go go non stop, and I can really feel the extra burn at the end of the day. I'm a LVT which is a veterinary nurse + lab rat. I haven't been doing the activity log lately, been focused on getting my foods back under control. When I did though, I put my lifestyle to sedentary, and added in hours spent on my feet and asleep, and added in workouts. It seemed pretty accurate.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:16 AM
FitDay Member

countryrider804, I am a CNA too yes work can like a workout in it's own way. when need to work the chest I do push ups on the counter . I know from doing this work for 10 years it does give you a run for your money no pun in tended. I know by time you shift is over it is very stress full too.

Originally Posted by countryrider804
how much exercise do you get at work?

I'm a CNA on 3rd shift and where I work it keeps me really busy. I make many laps around the building (7 laps is 1 mile), and between resident care (I find myself doing a lot of squats helping with showers and getting dressed), and my body is constantly moving with all the additional cleaning we have to do in the whole building. Many nights I sweat up a storm cause my body is on the move non-stop. And to top it off they have 2 pieces of gym equipment that we're allowed to use on breaks so I'll get on the treadmill or stationary bike during that time.

I have never really considered work as a "work out". So I normally walk an aditional 2-3 miles a day most days of the week. I can't jog very long yet so if I do it's only about 1/4 mile.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:05 PM
FitDay Member

In the course of the working day? Nope. Lunchtime? YOU BET! I get a good 1/2 hr of actual workout time at lunch, the other 1/2 between getting ready and showering. I split my week 2 or 3 days of lifting, 1 day of basketball, and the other days are jogging between 2-4 miles.

I'm SO grateful my workplace has a lockerroom + showers. Without it I'd be completely lost.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:00 PM
FitDay Member

I'm kind of fortunate in that I work at NOC (Network Operation Center) with 12hr graveyard shifts and I can leave for an hour and go to the gym when no one is there and get in some cardio or weightlifting.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:01 AM
FitDay Member

The only exercise I get at work is typing.. ugh.. I SIT all day.

I have to make up for it before and after work.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:08 AM
FitDay Member

I take care of kids, there are days I'm so busy that I don't sit all day long, and that includes the potty... I was a CNA years ago, and that is a very physical job, and unfortunately there aren't a lot of people saying thank you for all that hard work either. So countryrider, my hat's off to you for a job well done, and thank you for all the hard work you put in day after day.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:44 AM
FitDay Member

Default I could, I should, but usually don't

I have a fast paced,stressful, angry public contact office job. There are stairs in the building and someone donated an exercise bike in the back room. But I really need my 15 minute breaks to just breath in deep and relax. Sometimes if weather is ok i walk around block a few times and that feels great. I know they say exercise will also de-stress and maybe I will find the discipline to try that exercise bike again.