Notices

About cardio

Old 08-26-2010, 01:06 AM
FitDay Member

Default About cardio

Does anyone know where I can get a list of Cardio exercises to do? I have a list of strength training exercises,but I have a hard time finding just cardio,for my cardio days,except for walking or running.I usually walk for 30 to 45 minutes,but sometimes I feel that is not enough.
I do have trouble running or jumping,so I need some low impact exercises.
Thanks in advance. Weezy
Old 08-27-2010, 12:41 PM
FitDay Member

Anything that gets your heart rate up is "cardio." You can ride a bike, step up and down on a box, jump rope, hula hoop, swim, hike, dance, skate, chop wood, etc. Just do it for long enough, continuously, to get your heart into it.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:56 AM
FitDay Member

Default rowing is great cardio!

If you have access to a decent gym a rowing machine or an elliptical are great low impact choices.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:44 AM
FitDay Member

If you don't belong to a gym you can borrow cardio/aerobic videos from the library.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:39 AM
FitDay Member

Default Dancing is a great cardio activity

Dancing is a great cardio activity
Depending on your preferencies, you can just move while listening to your favorite music, or go and learn some Salsa or Argentine tango.
I am dancing Argentine tango, and it has several pluses:
* you do not eat while dancing
* you like it, so you are happy, not depressed because of not eating
* you have this low impact cardio activity that you can enjoy for hours ))
The dancing party (milonga) is mostly from 9pm till midnight. So 3 hours of cardio - and you will want more!
Old 09-22-2010, 08:25 AM
FitDay Member

Circuit Training.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:44 AM
FitDay Member

Default cardio

New to this but a great cardio and one that will for sure give you great results is to try and get it done FIRST thing in the day. Before you eat is best. Then check out HIIT - high intensity interval training. The workout I use, and it took a few times before getting to the full 8 cycles, is a 30second/90second interval. You can do this on a treadmill, rowing machine, eliptical, bike or just out walking. Do a warmup, I do a 4 minute row to warm up. Then go all out, as hard and fast as you can for 30 seconds. Then just slow row, ride, walk for 90 seconds. Repeat this and work up to 8 cycles. All total, it takes me about 25 minutes from when I get ready to when I am finished. I do a 2 minute cool down at the end. This jump starts your metabolism for the day.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:45 AM
FitDay Member

I can't run either. Foe me, jump rope is out, any aerobics or dance moves that involve leaving the ground are out, trampoline I haven't tried yet. I used to do step aerobics but that got hard on my knees, it's no impact though (unless you jump). The arc trainer at the gym (which is a lot like cross country skiing or elliptical) is the only thing I have found that really gets my heart pumping without aggravating my joint issues at all. Swimming is great too, but sadly I swim like a stone lol.