FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Exercise (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/)
-   -   So I broke down and got a Wii! - Any recs for programs ? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/1925-so-i-broke-down-got-wii-any-recs-programs.html)

missdevine 09-05-2010 01:22 AM

So I broke down and got a Wii! - Any recs for programs ?

I live in a pretty remote location where the weather element can be very tough - seeing as its been either stinking hot, or extremely rainy due to the hurricane ...... which means I cant ride my bike outdoors :( Sooooo - I opted to get a Wii -well - pretty expenive buiying all the additional stuff to go on it!

Whew! Well - here we are - deciding on what games to play - I love the tennis - but anything elsee thats interactive - I got the balance board - im looking for effective - yet interactive stuff - but nothing thats going to make me have my heart in my throat!
Thanks yall :rolleyes:

Vickie0819 09-05-2010 07:05 AM

Games

I too use the Wii....I have the Biggest Loser and the EA Sports active. The EA has a leg band that you wear while performing the exercises. While sometimes it doesn't always register exactly right, I do think this program gives the better workout. There are some exercises in every routine that uses resistance bands (included...I bought mine off Ebay - New) which I think helps alot. One note...the resistance bands included are not very strong tho...I already had a set of stronger ones, so you will probably want to upgrade fairly quickly. I think the Biggest Loser has its values too, but I seem to have trouble with it freezing up, and I have seen on other forums that others seem to have the same problem. I tried again today, and had the same thing happen. I have been told if you take the game to a video store, they can put it in their cleaning machine and that may fix it, so I am going to try that. Good Luck!

Lizzycritter 09-08-2010 05:08 AM

I do dance dance revolution with the kids, you can customize it and take out the jumps, hand claps etc if you aren't too coordinated (like me). It does need a floor mat, that came with the game. I'm considering a balance board for christmas.

almeeker 09-08-2010 01:12 PM

I like the Wii Fit Plus, it has a place where you can choose a bunch of short exercise programs, string them together and get a different mix every time. It tallies as you select and shows approximately how long it will take, so you get a pretty good idea of what you're getting into. The Wii Fit Plus routines are also fun to play with the whole family, although I will warn you that you need some junk in your trunk for the hoola hoop. Our 7 year old DD has no junk and cannot get the thing to register her hooping, but she can work a real one, which I can't do to save my life. But I got more than enough junk to rack up points on the Wii Fit Plus. The beauty of the Wii Fit Plus is that it has like 3 dozen different things you can do on it, and all of them burn calories.

cindyannette 09-08-2010 03:35 PM

My Fitness Coach for the Wii is great! I love it and did it faithfully for a long time. Just about ready to start doing it again. If you like to exercise, this one is fun and doesn't get boring.

krisann67 09-27-2010 10:06 AM

Every Monday my children and I have wii monday. We play different games together for fun. The favorites are wii sports and wii sports resort. I love my wii fit plus. I am going to check out dance dance revolution.

Angelstation 09-27-2010 03:16 PM

[deleted]

dan-anderson 09-28-2010 04:24 PM

Resort Sports has a really fun sword fighting game! :)

LSleeter 10-29-2010 04:15 PM

I use "Your Shape" (Jenny McCarthy). I have tried Wii Fit Plus, but prepfer our Shape. It comes with a camera that watches you do the exercises and gives you feedback on if you are doing them right and if you need to tighten up your form. I mean come on, you need to know if you're doing the exercises right. if you're not, then what's the point?! I LOVE LOVE LOVE Your Shape! You don't need any outside props to do the exercises either. No Wii Fit board or anything. All you need is you and your program w/camera. :)

I have My Fitness Coach ready to try out tomorrow night after my hubby goes to work.

Amazon sells Your Shape for only $19.71.

http://www.amazon.com/Your-Shape-Nin...8412054&sr=8-1

It's worth every penny! Give it a try!!

mecompco 11-11-2010 12:00 AM

I've discovered one can play "Tetris Party" using the Wii Fit board--it's not very intensive, but at least it gets one up and moving and it's fun.

CocoD'Luxe 11-11-2010 12:37 PM

My sister has the Wii Fit. She hardly uses it and I'm so jealous because I LOVE the hula-hooping (GREAT for abs) & jogging (totally puffs me out!). But most of all, I adore the yoga programme. The fitboard monitors your balance & while the stretches burn a bit, they make me feel limber and unwound afterwards. I can't afford to buy one of my own at the moment because I'm saving for travel, so every time I visit my sister I'm always trying to jump on and have a play, much to her boredom! ;)

mugginskate 11-11-2010 12:51 PM

I LOVE the Wii! Last time I dieted, Dance, dance Revolution and Wii Fit were my main form of exercise! It worked well and it's fun! Wii Fit is also good for keeping a record of your weight progress. You can set goals and everything. Usually I would alternate days between DDR and Wii Fit.

LisaAnnie 11-16-2010 05:04 PM

Wii programs

The best cardio workouts for the Wii, in my humble opinion:

Gold's Gym Cardio Boxing... you will need to work up to the point that you have unlocked several layers. But it's a good solid cardio workout.

Walk It Off... just walking to music, but it works! Build your island habitat while walking, unlocking more and more music and other goodies.

Outdoor Adventures, using a floor pad, running, racing, log jumping, trampoline, it's a lot of fun and a real workout. I get this one out when the kids come visit, they love it.

Ridge_Runner 11-17-2010 02:33 AM

I love Outdoor Challenge (I think that's the one that LisaAnnie was referring) and the mini games on Monkey Ball Step & Roll. (I like the games)

laughingduck 12-01-2010 02:22 AM

I bought the Wii fit plus with balance board which although I like for keeping track of my progress, I find the exercises too easy/boring. I do like the yoga part for warming up or cooling down though.

For cardio on the Wii I prefer Just Dance and Just Dance 2, I do 30 minutes of it and I'm dripping with sweat! It's fun too, even though I'm the most uncoordinated person in the world :)

I recommend renting a few games from your local video store and seeing what you like, that way you aren't wasting money on buying games you don't like!